Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whois details

Options
  • 08-04-2008 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I've registered a web site, and on the whois details, the admin and technical contacts are my hosting company, while the registrant details are myself. Which is fine, but I'm not mad about my address, e-mail and phone number being on public view. Is there anything I can do about that, or do the registrant details have to be public?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

It's perfectly normal for your details to be exposed in these records. In most cases domains are registered under a business address if possible, but obviously some people register domains for personal purposes and have to put their home address in.

There are ways of protecting this information however. Depending on the registrar, they may allow you to make the registration private (Dotster for example, allow Private Registrations). If your registrar doesn't have a facility for private registrations, there are also 3rd Parties who can help you. Try searching Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Register a .eu

If you're a private individual practically nothing is viewable in whois

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks for that. Just wasn't sure if I'd done something wrong in the setup, but if it's common enough I can live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Most decent registrars will offer WHOIS privacy, usually for a small fee. Your personal details are replaced with generic contact details provided by the registrar. Crowd I use charge $4.99 per year but they only provide it for .com, .net. .info and .mobi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Is there no Irish company offering this privacy ? Can't find one and if not why not ? Would it not be like a planning application that is submitted by an architect and they use their name and address ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement