Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Hidden Features

Options
  • 08-04-2008 1:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Just picked up a 2005 Avensis D4D T-Spirit Saloon yesterday in England.

im just wondering, is there any features on the car as the way BMW would have the window closing feature by holding the close button, the follow me home lights by flashing the fogs etc etc

thanks very much, and heres some pics if you wana have a goo :

384029_2118-1.jpg

384029_2380.jpg

384029_2381.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kceire wrote: »
    is there any features on the car as the way BMW would have the window closing feature by holding the close button, the follow me home lights by flashing the fogs etc etc

Lovely Avensis. Pity Toyota don't sell more high spec ones here(instead Toyota choose to equip our cars with SFA) like that T Spirit model.

To answer your question, the Avensis doesn't have Car/Key memory as standard. It's very comprehensive apart from that though equipment wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Nice car... What's that thing that looks like a button on the side of the driver's door armrest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    Nice car... What's that thing that looks like a button on the side of the driver's door armrest?
    Fuel release. Another completely useless piece of info is that if that button doesn't work, there is a little strap on the left hand side of the boot(by the wheelarch intrusion) which you can give a tug and the fuel door opens then:p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It has a neat feature whereby once you lock it in a high rise carpark, it become invisible to all, including the owner. Only by plipping the alarm will you have any chance of locating it!

Only kidding, looks like you got a good one. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    Fuel release.
    Ah right. Doesn't look ergonomic.. are you supposed to press it with the side of your leg?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cheers guys, the only things i can fault the car on at the moment is :

1. i would of liked a sunroof.
    2. rear parking sensors would of been helpful.
    3. memory seats would be excellent!!! they are electric so not much extra effort would of been needed to supply memory function.

the car cost me :

Car : €9979
    VRT : €6819
    Flights for 2 : €160
    Boat for 2 + car : €189
    Spending : €132
    Reg Plates : €20

Total : €17,300

hopefully i done ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

JHMEG wrote: »
    Ah right. Doesn't look ergonomic.. are you supposed to press it with the side of your leg?
    I suppose the idea is that you will have to open the door in order to fill up, in which case it should be easy enough to press.

fletch wrote: »
    I suppose the idea is that you will have to open the door in order to fill up, in which case it should be easy enough to press.

its actually grand, you dont hit it by mistake or anything, weird place to put it alright but ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

As with nearly all recent jap cars, if you press the lock button on the key, then press it a 2nd time within 3 or 4 seconds it will activate the deadlocks.

Biro wrote: »
    As with nearly all recent jap cars, if you press the lock button on the key, then press it a 2nd time within 3 or 4 seconds it will activate the deadlocks.

yeah, thats the only one i have found so far, do you know if the alarm still functions as normal with the deadlocks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

yeah, thats the only one i have found so far, do you know if the alarm still functions as normal with the deadlocks?

Yep. You can check this by deadlocking it and putting the key in the door and unlocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice car, I had one of those but it didn't have such a high spec, had the same alloy wheels though. Found them to be a great car.

There are not alot of hidden features to be honest. but check out some of the Toyota owner's club forums for some pointers.

One thing I had done was to have the electrically retractable wing mirrors to fold automatically when the car was locked via the fob. The guy that fitted my alarm at the time got this to work. One of the forums might know the technique for this.

Regarding the fuel filler release on the inside of the door, actually in 4 and a half years I never accidently hit it. You just press the button once you are out of the car and the filler pops open.

Also I'm surprised you found a saloon version in the UK as 99.9% of them sold there are hatchbacks.

Best of luck with it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nice car, I had one of those but it didn't have such a high spec, had the same alloy wheels though. Found them to be a great car.

There are not alot of hidden features to be honest. but check out some of the Toyota owner's club forums for some pointers.

One thing I had done was to have the electrically retractable wing mirrors to fold automatically when the car was locked via the fob. The guy that fitted my alarm at the time got this to work. One of the forums might know the technique for this.

Regarding the fuel filler release on the inside of the door, actually in 4 and a half years I never accidently hit it. You just press the button once you are out of the car and the filler pops open.

Also I'm surprised you found a saloon version in the UK as 99.9% of them sold there are hatchbacks.

Best of luck with it.

i was searching for 3 weeks to find a saloon, found 3 and the other 2 were sold by the time i rang them! 2 of them were the same colour (charcoal) and the other was silver, glad i went for the charcoal now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

congrats on car. Looks to be a beauty! Vrt was heavy enough though. I'm thinking about buying in the uk post July. May I ask what resources you used to find car and which port did you bring it back through? Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Nice motor, if you dont mind me asking how did u manage to pay for it, cash or card etc and how did u insure it for the trip back. I'm heading over myself in a month or so but the whole payment and insurance is wrecking my head, ideally I would like to fly over, stay overnight, sort out insurance and payment and drive home first thing next day. Big problem with the insurance is trying to sort it without actually knowing if the car(s) your looking at are what you want to buy.

tw0nk wrote: »
    congrats on car. Looks to be a beauty! Vrt was heavy enough though. I'm thinking about buying in the uk post July. May I ask what resources you used to find car and which port did you bring it back through? Thanks in advance

heavy but still nice savings to be had, i bought the car in birmingham and drove to Holyhead and got the irish ferries boat back to east wall.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Nice motor, if you dont mind me asking how did u manage to pay for it, cash or card etc and how did u insure it for the trip back. I'm heading over myself in a month or so but the whole payment and insurance is wrecking my head, ideally I would like to fly over, stay overnight, sort out insurance and payment and drive home first thing next day. Big problem with the insurance is trying to sort it without actually knowing if the car(s) your looking at are what you want to buy.

i knew what car i was buying so i told my insurance company on the friday to transfer it on subday morning at 9am to the english reg of the car.

i also paid a deposit for them to hold the car for me of 200 pound on the credit card then when i got there i paid the balance with an AIB Sterling bank draft. whatever garage your buying from, ring to confirm they will accept a draft, and tell ask them what irish banks are in their system to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Biro wrote: »
    Yep. You can check this by deadlocking it and putting the key in the door and unlocking it.

Excuse my ignorance but what is dead locking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

congo_90 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what is dead locking?

It means the locks effectively die...so even if someone breaks into the car they won't be able to use the buttons to open the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've thought of one, you can manually lock the boot with the key, there's a keyhole hidden beside the right hand number plate light, turn it to the left to lock.

handy if you have something valuable in the boot, as normally if the central locking is unlocked anyone can open the boot from the outside.

I think you can also lock the rear seats from inside the boot on your car, there are 2 sliding catches on the back of the seats. handy again if you don't want someone to get into the boot, even if they smash a window and climb through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

the car cost me :

Car : €9979
    VRT : €6819

:eek: holy feck the VRT is 68.3% of the purchase price... is that normal :confused:

Profiler wrote: »
    :eek: holy feck the VRT is 68.3% of the purchase price... is that normal :confused:

VRT is valued at a percentage of the OMSP or Open Market Selling Price, in other words the price the VRO value the car to be worth over here, not what was paid for it abroad.

I'd image the extras on it such as the leather heated electric seats, Satnav, etc bumped up the price a nice bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

bazz26 wrote: »
    VRT is valued at a percentage of the OMSP or Open Market Selling Price, in other words the price the VRO value the car to be worth over here, not what was paid for it abroad.

I'd image the extras on it such as the leather heated electric seats, Satnav, etc bumped up the price a nice bit too.

:rolleyes:shocking... and aren't we the only country in Europe who gets that charged by the government :(

:rolleyes:shocking... and aren't we the only country in Europe who gets that charged by the government :(

Nope, there's at least 3 others that get charged similar or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Nice motor OP, they are a lovely car.
    Were you not tempted into leaving it till after June to clear the car?
    Thats what i would have done, even if it mean it was to sit in a garage for 7 weeks.

I reckon the OP meant that he bought it for GB£9k rather than euros.

Afaik the likes of Denmark and a few other countries have something similar to VRT but not as extreme as ourselves.

HJL wrote: »
    Nice motor OP, they are a lovely car.
    Were you not tempted into leaving it till after June to clear the car?
    Thats what i would have done, even if it mean it was to sit in a garage for 7 weeks.

Quite true. I missed the D4-D until I read this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The car looks pretty good in that colour, haven't seen many in that colour driving about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Ah i know what ya mean now. my mas car has it.
    (sorry for hyjacking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A chrome rear garnish would look very smart on that car.

viewImage.aspx?type=2&o=p&id=10302

Available form Toyota dealers.

Advertisement