Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Hidden Features

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bazz26 wrote: »
    VRT is valued at a percentage of the OMSP or Open Market Selling Price, in other words the price the VRO value the car to be worth over here, not what was paid for it abroad.

I'd image the extras on it such as the leather heated electric seats, Satnav, etc bumped up the price a nice bit too.[/QUOTE]

not at all, because they are standard items on the T-Spirit model, and the vrt was calculated on the basis of a T-Spirit model, no extras wrote on the sheet and no visual inspection.

HJL wrote: »
    Nice motor OP, they are a lovely car.
    Were you not tempted into leaving it till after June to clear the car?
    Thats what i would have done, even if it mean it was to sit in a garage for 7 weeks.

would of made no difference to me at all, you see the car is a taxi, so if i waited until just the VRT would of dropped from 30% to 24%, so it only meant a saving of circa 1400 euro, sure i will earn that between noww and then so it would of being no difference tbh.

if it was a personal import and going to be used as a family car then yeah, i would of stored it until july.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A chrome rear garnish would look very smart on that car.

viewImage.aspx?type=2&o=p&id=10302

Available form Toyota dealers.

had one of them on my old 2002 civic, looked really well. you say available at the dealers.....i will be ringing them tomorrow, thanks colm.

ps. any idea on price?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I never actually paid for one! I think they're around €80. they're dead easy to fit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Does anyone know the impact on resale values of having a car with mph instead of kilometres on the speedo? Was thinking of importing an Alfa but not sure how sellable it would be in say 3 years or so:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair, if resale is an issue for you you probably shouldn't be looking at an Alfa.
    The fact that it's UK rather than the clocks will go against the car, but if it's a high spec model like the OP's then you'll always get a buyer.

ankles wrote: »
    Does anyone know the impact on resale values of having a car with mph instead of kilometres on the speedo? Was thinking of importing an Alfa but not sure how sellable it would be in say 3 years or so:confused:

well it wouldnt put me off buying a car, but i cant talk for the general public. if its looked after, well serviced and its up for sale against a km reading car in worse condition then i would buy the mph reading car.

theres so many more important factors when buying a used car than what the speedo reads in imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nuttzyy

Was it bought for £9000 or E9000?
    Best of luck with it by the way, nice colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

I was looking at say a 1 year old 159. At that stage they've been caned on depreciation in the UK but a good spec model here is still the guts of €40k. The maths gives you a saving of something like €10k. I'll look after it I promise.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Interesting question actually, wouldnt bother me, in fact id sooner MPH, when i see a sign i just know its MPH equalivant and go by that. My eyes see a 100 sign and my mind sees a 60 MPH sign. Maybe is because im left handed, and use the left side of my brain more!

Isnt it dangerous that newer cars only have KPH, shouldnt they have MPH in small writting for driving in the North and UK? Or do they actually have that? You can tell i dont drive an older car!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Some hidden features or maybe not hidden.

Jam protection on all windows,anything gets stuck between the window while closing it'll open straight back up,handy little safety feature.
    Voice activated radio,check your manual on how to use,couldnt get it to work myself.
    And if you submerge your car in water all the windows apperently open,havent tested this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

HJL wrote: »
    Isnt it dangerous that newer cars only have KPH, shouldnt they have MPH in small writting for driving in the North and UK? Or do they actually have that? You can tell i dont drive an older car!!
    Do older cars have mph in smaller writing for driving in the North and UK?

OP, since jaybee747 mentioned safetly, look at the bonnet hinges and the construction of the bonnet. In a head on collision it's designed to get hooked at the bottom of the windscreen and buckle in half rather than come through the windscreen, decapititing the occupants. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

JHMEG wrote: »
    Do older cars have mph in smaller writing for driving in the North and UK?

I meant to say 'you can tell i drive an older car', not dont drive one.
    Should really read things before i submit them!

The questions i was asking, was do newer cars just have Kms on them? Or do they have MPH as well in small writting, kind of like the opposite of the older style of MPH and Kms in small writting beside them?

I could have swore i was in a new Opel and only saw one set of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Biro wrote: »
    As with nearly all recent jap cars, if you press the lock button on the key, then press it a 2nd time within 3 or 4 seconds it will activate the deadlocks.

Something ze germans have been doing for years even on lowly 1.4 golfs :rolleyes:

apparently there is soul and character hidden in there somewhere but no noe has ever found it! :pac::eek::D only joking :cool:

Nice car,good to see an avensis thats a little different!

bazz26 wrote: »
    I reckon the OP meant that he bought it for GB£9k rather than euros.

Afaik the likes of Denmark and a few other countries have something similar to VRT but not as extreme as ourselves.

nope mate, as i said on page one, all prices are in euros :

Car : €9979
    VRT : €6819
    Flights for 2 : €160
    Boat for 2 + car : €189
    Spending : €132
    Reg Plates : €20

Total : €17,300

Nuttzyy wrote: »
    Was it bought for £9000 or E9000?
    Best of luck with it by the way, nice colour.

euros, after conversion, the sterling cost me 9979 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kceire wrote: »
    nope mate, as i said on page one, all prices are in euros :

Car : €9979
    VRT : €6819
    Flights for 2 : €160
    Boat for 2 + car : €189
    Spending : €132
    Reg Plates : €20

Total : €17,300

Still a sweet price for the spec compared to what is available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Does anyone know the impact on resale values of having a car with mph instead of kilometres on the speedo?
    Woluldn't put me off a car in the slightest if the speedo was in mph. I drive a car that's in mph anyway and it's never bothered me that the dominat reading is in mph.

Any driver worth their salt should know what the car (s)he's driving feels like at different speeds anyway, you shouldn't have to be gawking at the speedo every 2 seconds to see how fast you're going.

Advertisement