Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean Colour Scene

Options
  • 08-04-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I have to admit that I can't remember who they are, or what they sung.
    I need to know if 1) they are good enough to bother going to, and 2) what kind of music they play.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sorry, I should have added that I have never used this section before, so if I'm in the wrong forum - apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ocean Colour Scene had a "baggy"/"shoegazing", floppy-fringed indie thing going on in the early 90s when they formed, but they're best known for their sound in the mid 90s when they got lumped in with Britpop. In their case this pigeonholing was most appropriate as their sound at the time was very reminiscent of that of the 1960s, blues-inspired, British Mod movement. So that's basically it really: bluesy, pub rock (in a good way) kinda stuff. The River Boat Song is their biggest hit - released around 1996. A great song. Paul Weller was doing very similar stuff around that time. You can hear influences like The Faces (Rod Stewart's band in the 60s) and The Beatles' bluesier moments. They did something kinda similar to what Stereophonics were doing a few years after, but a lot better. The lead singer has a great voice.
    They got slagged off a lot after 1996 - it was seriously uncool to like them, but bollocks to that. I thought they did some very good stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Check out "The day we caught the train" aswell. My favourite song of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Melion wrote: »
    Check out "The day we caught the train" aswell. My favourite song of theirs.

Yea great song reminds me of the best summer ever...so far. Seen them in whelans a few years ago they were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

They're brilliant. They really do a great gig. Well worth going to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 gerryslurry

they played at ****** last year a highlight it was, unreal performance, profit in peace is the song to watch out for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Just out of interest, what kind of crowd would you see at one of their performances (as in: rocker/scummer/oldie etc?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

a cool enough crowd... probably mainly in the mid-20's to mid-30's. doubt you'll be getting any single "kind" of heads there.

t'will be good. I went to see them in the [edit- place on dame street] about 2 years ago. I wasn't expecting all that much but had heard they were great live so went along and glad I did! Great songs, great musicians, they put their heart and souls into it, the crowd loving it, great atmosphere, what more can ya ask for?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

An indication of just how swiftly their popularity dropped after 1996: they did a free gig in Cork in summer '98. A free gig - in Cork! It was bizarre! I went but I don't remember anything about it. Or maybe I didn't bother going. I remember being on my way to it but that's it...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Really quality band. My favourite tunes would be 'Day We Caught The Train', 'Profit In Peace' and 'Better Day'.

Also if you like chill out songs then have a listen to 'The Circle'. Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Really quality band. My favourite tunes would be 'Day We Caught The Train', 'Profit In Peace' and 'Better Day'.

Also if you like chill out songs then have a listen to 'The Circle'. Beautiful.

All great songs Xavi6 ... do you remember Get Away? The last song on the Moseley Shoals album ... great song.

They had a couple of songs out a few years back, can't remember what they were called! They were ok ...

Great band .. where are they playing OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Two words - dad rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Dudess, I was at the free gig in Cork. In fairness it wasn't out of desperation, it was part of whatever festival (I was going to say Spraoi, but that's in Waterford), and there was a decent enough crowd. It was kind of the highlight of the festival, but I'm sure they could have sold tickets for it.

Their best stuff was a couple of albums in the mid ninties. A couple of the band were in Paul Weller's band around the time of Stanley Road too.

Dad Rock? Maybe. They've also been called retro, in a condescending way, but they wear their Brit/60s/Mod influences on their sleeve and aren't ashamed of it. The Guitarist has been riding his Lambretta to the Isle of Wight for more years than he'd care to remember, and long before the likes of the Gallaghers decided it was cool to own a scooter, so perhaps the indie thing was just a phase before they found their feet musically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I wouldnt be "in" to them as such, but iv seen them twice live and id imagine it would be next on impossible not to enjoy a gig of theirs, good music and good songs, and you'll be suprised how many of them you'd know if you thought about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

To this day Mosely Shoals is still one of my favourite albums of all time. In my opinion, it's the best album to come of Britain in the 90s.

They regularly play low key gigs all around Ireland each year, I recommend you check them out if you can.

Advertisement