Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile Broadband -Booster?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Is it possible to boost a signal for mobile broadband?

One geographical area I would need it in has pretty much no/pretty poor coverage.

Anyway to boost a signal from the usual 3 USB modem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

From what I understand, some of them have an input that you can plug in an external antenna. The black O2 one I have doesn't have it though.

Other than that, I'm sure the modem can be opened up and something bodged into it to make reception better, but you might loose the mobility with what entailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Annatar

Mobility I wouldnt really care about at that location.

Soooo basically get a modem capable of handeling an external antenna, slip the SIM into it from the other modem, cross fingers and hopefully voila!

hate to pester but, anyone know of a good brand of modem that will not conflict with the 3 network but has an external antenna etc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

I have a separate question...

In general is the service good or bad? Im thinking of getting it but am not sure how good or bad it is?

In the main its tip top. Rarely drops the connection. Sometimes slow, but I recon thats just contention.

Nahh tis grand.

We dont use it for heavy duty movie downloading so the 10gig max is plenty.

• Advertisement

There's a 3 thread in the stickies with nearly 4000 replies in it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306 . Scared me off going anywhere near 3, decided the extra €10/month would probably be worth it going it O2.

The antennas I've seen on eBay seem to be just for the datacards, the type of modems used in PCMCIA slots. Maybe there are none for the other type of modem.

Maybe try moving the modem around the room where you use it most, you may find a hot-spot somewhere in the room. I have mine hanging over the side of the monitor, and if it slips a few inches, it can go from 4 bars to 1 or none.

Advertisement