Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YouTube on Nokia E51

• 08-04-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Hi - I downloaded and installed the Youtube for mobiles application yesterday. I'm able to search but the get the following error when I attempt to play them "could not connect to video streaming server "

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm accessing the net over a wireless lan.

My default access pioint is defined. Is it anything to do with the ports or the bandwidth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Are you on O2? If you are then I've been having this problem since I can remember. Other people have reported the same issue.

I don't remember anyone posting here that they've been on to O2 about it, so maybe it's worth your while calling O2 Data Support 1850 601740 (which I actually must try myself this evening .. I want youtube now! ) and asking for the reason why.

There's another recent thread about this here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055271337

Someones saying it only works on Edge ! Not tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

I'm in town so will call into the store this afternoon and get them to fix it. Will post later if I'm up and running. Yes, I'm on O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve584

Whyner wrote: »
    I'm in town so will call into the store this afternoon and get them to fix it. Will post later if I'm up and running. Yes, I'm on O2.

Hi Whyner,

Any news on how you got on? I too am having the same problem with my E51 on O2 and using the wi fi rather.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but it seems its the only one where there might be a solution!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

What application does the E51 open to stream the movie?
    I assume its Realplayer?
    If so, you need to go to streaming settings in Realplayer and change the access point to your wifi access point

• Advertisement

For Nokia devices, follow these steps:
    Internet access

1. From your phone's main menu, navigate to 'Tools' > 'App. mgr.' > 'YouTube'.
    2. Select the appropriate default access point.

Note: If you have the signed version and want to turn off permissions requests for the network or your phone, we also suggest that you set Network access to 'Always allowed' and Read user data to 'Always allowed' in this settings menu.

Streaming video

1. From your phone's main menu, navigate to the 'Application' or 'Media' menu and select the 'RealPlayer' icon.
    2. Select 'Options' > 'Settings' > 'Connection' > 'Network'.
    3. Select the appropriate default access point. Depending on your phone and mobile data provider this may need to be the same or different from the access point you chose for YouTube's Internet access.

whisht wrote: »
    For Nokia devices, follow these steps:
    Internet access

1. From your phone's main menu, navigate to 'Tools' > 'App. mgr.' > 'YouTube'.
    2. Select the appropriate default access point.

Note: If you have the signed version and want to turn off permissions requests for the network or your phone, we also suggest that you set Network access to 'Always allowed' and Read user data to 'Always allowed' in this settings menu.

Streaming video

1. From your phone's main menu, navigate to the 'Application' or 'Media' menu and select the 'RealPlayer' icon.
    2. Select 'Options' > 'Settings' > 'Connection' > 'Network'.
    3. Select the appropriate default access point. Depending on your phone and mobile data provider this may need to be the same or different from the access point you chose for YouTube's Internet access.

Hi Whisht,

Thanks for your reply, I've done everything you've said to do above, however I'm getting "Connection to video streaming server timed out".

Would it have anything to do with this highest and lowest UDP ports, I'm afraid I haven't a clue as to what they are but they're in amongst the streaming settings in the network section. Also there's an online time menu which I can set to unlimited or to my own setting.

Thanks again for your reply, hope the above makes any sense to you.

I use my O2 Nokia e51 with default "out of the box" settings and then tell RealPlayer to use the "open.internet" O2 access point and it's working fine for me now.

random wrote: »
    I use my O2 Nokia e51 with default "out of the box" settings and then tell RealPlayer to use the "open.internet" O2 access point and it's working fine for me now.

That should work fine as random said, unless you need to open these ports in your router setting
    What kind of router are you using?

whisht wrote: »
    That should work fine as random said, unless you need to open these ports in your router setting
    What kind of router are you using?

Hi Whisht,

I'm using one of Eircom's ones if that helps!

Hi Random,

Where do I find this open.internet setting. Can't seem to find it on my phone.

Thanks lads, feel like a thicko!!

• Advertisement

To setup the O2 "open.internet" access point and have Real Player use it on a Nokia e51 do the following.

>> First let's create the access point on the phone
    menu
    tools
    settings
    connection
    access points
    options
    new access point
    connection name = "O2 open.internet"
    access point name = "open.internet"

>> Now let's set Real Player to use that
    menu
    media
    realplayer
    options
    settings
    streaming
    network
    default access point = "O2 open.internet"

Random wrote: »
    To setup the O2 "open.internet" access point and have Real Player use it on a Nokia e51 do the following.

>> First let's create the access point on the phone
    menu
    tools
    settings
    connection
    access points
    options
    new access point
    connection name = "O2 open.internet"
    access point name = "open.internet"

>> Now let's set Real Player to use that
    menu
    media
    realplayer
    options
    settings
    streaming
    network
    default access point = "O2 open.internet"

Thanks Random,

Looks like we're getting somewhere, the video starts, but then I either lose connection or the video times out again.

Another stupid question but am I using O2 to get connected or the router? Don't want to get screwed by those charges.

Thanks again.

My method connects using O2 so you will pay data charges.

Assuming your wifi works for web browsing on your phonoe then you can ignore my bit about setting up access point above. Then the only thing you need to change is your "default access point" to the same one you use to connet to the wifi from your phone browser.

Sorry, I read O2 somewhere along the way which is why I'm giving you O2 methods. I use O2 / e51 for it as well which is why you got the complete walkthrough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hippyshaker

It looks like RealPlayer on the Nokia e51 (s60) only supports rtsp using UDP, not TCP. It would only work for me after I create port forward for:

UDP : 6970 to 32000 => internal IP address of my handset.

(Edit: this also fixed streaming music through the RealPlayer app.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sirdoneff

I have made the settings and the video starts for 3 secs and then the whole phone freezes and I can restart only by taking off the battery! I am using the last firmware!! I suppose if it is possible to set up flash player as defdault would be different!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

would the settings for this be the same for meteor? I'm trying to use it over a wifi connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

advice with E51, download and install:
    emTube
    Mobitubia
    or vtap
    They are much better for youtube streaming than youtubes mobile application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Thanks Quintron,got it working with emTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

So far, I haven't installed anything else, and just used the Opera Mini browser which opened Real Player.

This worked fine over wi-fi in Germany a few weeks ago, played all songs (about 10 or 15 plays) all the way through.

But now, in an area of slightly patchy GSM/3G coverage at home, I've had it freeze a couple of times, sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes 2 or 3 minutes; needs restart by taking the battery out. I get half an impression that rotating to full screen doesn't do it favours, but I haven't messed around with it a lot, or tried it in another wi-fi area since.

Does anyone know what is affecting this? Have other people had Youtube working from Opera to RealPlayer? Or shall I just forget about it and install one of those programs mentioned above?

Advertisement