Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i need advice

• 08-04-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi.. im 23 and in full time employment..
    i have wanted to join the army for a long time but the problem is that i have a drug problem and a 100% sure i will fail a drug test. is there any way around it? or am i just doomed to work like a dog or lil money for the rest of my life

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

what drugs are you on?
    There's a different time period they'll stay in your body
    If your thinking of joining the army with a drug problem forget it, you wont be able to do it(physically and mentally(sp?))
    If you think that the army will make you rich, It won,t.
    The army can be a mundane job (like any other).
    You need to get off the drugs first, and in doing that other doors may open for you.

best of luck....change your mind set and get off the drugs.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 just_stevo

i have been smoking weed every day since i was 16.and have a small coke problem..have tried stoping but its not easy. i dont want to get rich. i just want to get a job i would enjoy and also see the world.also i think the army would really wake me up and turn me into a real man. would the fact that i have taken drugs prevent me from joing???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

ok the weed should take a couple of months to get out of you system but it would still be evident in you hair and nails the nails take about six months ish to grow from root to tip im not to surre about the hair.
    I hate to be the one to tell you but there is no such thing as a small coke problem. you either do drugs or you don't.
    Would it be possible to see a councillor? The hardest part is walking in the door. and when your in there you'd be with similar people who want to quit.
    I take it by a small coke problem you'd mean if it's there you'll have a line and if not it wouldn't bother you, if that's the reason stop moving in the circle's your in. If it means dropping your mates ...drop them.
    Your 23 in two years you'll be too old for the army stuck in the same job, no excitement, no money, no adventure and a drug problem.
    You've made the decision that you want better for yourself, you know what way to go about it, your halfway there.
    Now is the time to stand up and take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

just_stevo wrote: »
    hi.. im 23 and in full time employment..
    i have wanted to join the army for a long time but the problem is that i have a drug problem and a 100% sure i will fail a drug test. is there any way around it? or am i just doomed to work like a dog or lil money for the rest of my life

If you really want to join the Army

Give up the drugs

Thats the only way around it

P.S there is no such thing as a small coke habit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pyriel

Not being negative but with todays methods you have'nt got a hope, there are a multitude of ways to discover drug usage and also if you had been smoking weed 7 years and taking coke there is no way.

Also to be honest with that crap in your system and being around firearms is not a good idea due to flashbacks etc...

This is the reason all armies dismiss you immediately or lock you up then dismiss you.

That is the reality and no matter how long you are off drugs they will find traces and also if you lie going in to do the medical that also is an offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Pyriel wrote: »
    Not being negative but with todays methods you have'nt got a hope, there are a multitude of ways to discover drug usage and also if you had been smoking weed 7 years and taking coke there is no way.

Also to be honest with that crap in your system and being around firearms is not a good idea due to flashbacks etc...

This is the reason all armies dismiss you immediately or lock you up then dismiss you.

That is the reality and no matter how long you are off drugs they will find traces and also if you lie going in to do the medical that also is an offence.

This is tripe.

They do a piss test and a blood test (I think). Give 6 months without drugs and you will be all clear.

Flashbacks are known for LSD and that is undetectable after a few hours (within the time that you would still be tripping) Only detectable way is a spinal tap (rarely done only for Pilots really) Rarely will weed affect you in anyway after you take it.

Coke could be a problem just give it up. Go to the countryside where it is more difficult to get ****. Get off it work out and go for it.

Give it 6 months though.

Firstly just to enlighten you as you seem to know zero.

My Sister is a medic in the army and has been for 10 years and my father is an Army Doctor in Bricins.

The piss test that you so quaintly call it is not the only test and also bloods are taken for several purposes including drugs.

You are dismissed immediately from the Military for taking any type of illegal drugs for the reason of the danger you pose whilst handling firearms, Cocaine does cause flashbacks and yes LCD also does this. Also the long term effects of weed will be spotted more so in an x-ray of the lungs as it cause long term damage more than nicotine.

If someone does manage to get into the military declaring falsehoods they and are found out they are subject to dismissal and imprisonment, which is proper order.

I talk from experience training and fact, mind dazzler get your facts straight as today’s medical examination is extremely stringent compared to what it once was.

Also the individual seems to be an addict and it is hard to fathom that it would not be brought into the forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

OP ignore all the fancy talk mumbo jumbo, if your using, you dont stand a chance of gettin in and if by some miracle you did, a random drug test would have you out the door straight away. simple as.

Thanks you kingstew, simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

There are many people in armies who are in recovery from various addiction. I have worked with people from various forces and emergency services both using and drug free. That is as a civilian as the support is only there for alcohol within the services. Most drug tests are done through urine screening, yes it is traceable in blood and hair but in the ten years experience I have in Ireland I have never come across it being use. Urine analysis is the cheaper option.

To the OP if you want to sort your life out pm me I might be able to refer you to a suitable therapist in your area, then and only then can you look at some type of future for yourself. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 just_stevo

from reading the replys i think the army is out of question.. maybe i should get a job on a cruise ship. that would get me away from things so i can sort myself out and i could earn some good money to set myself up if i come back..

odysseus thanks for your offer mate ill pm you now

just_stevo wrote: »
    from reading the replys i think the army is out of question.. maybe i should get a job on a cruise ship. that would get me away from things so i can sort myself out and i could earn some good money to set myself up if i come back..

odysseus thanks for your offer mate ill pm you now

Just an option is you are really for the army, the Legion is an option, I spent almost 5 and half years there, the drug testing is not as strict and although easier to get in, it is a very tough and focused life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Randomtandom

Pretty sure they test on cruise ships staff too as in some territories waters (West Coast Americans espically strict due to Mexico) if anyone on board was caught with illegal substances the entire ship might be commendeered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

king-stew wrote: »
    OP ignore all the fancy talk mumbo jumbo, if your using, you dont stand a chance of gettin in and if by some miracle you did, a random drug test would have you out the door straight away. simple as.

And that just about cover's it.

And as someone else said, if you want to join the Defence Forces - give up the drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

I know I'm late on this topic, but I wonder why, as a drug addict, you expect to get as far as the medical test? Surely the security check that will be carried out to join the PDF or the RDF would throw up major red flags as you would need to be the most discrete drug user in the world not have come to the attention of the cops! Especially if you've been using for 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I know of one former drug user who had a few convictions who passed the security checks for the RDF. I'm sure it was noted but he had been away from that lifestyle for a few years, he was an older applicatant and had made significant verifiable changes since he stopped using, so in his case it appeared to be ok.

As far as the medical its not really going to show someone as a former past user unless there was a clear drug associated issue, Hep C, lots of scaring from abscesses. Didn't the op say he had stopped using and believe me I see some people who you would never guess had addiction problems and you could be a drug user for years and years without coming to the attention of the cops.

Edit: Apologies I just reread the first post, sorry this guy was still using.

Advertisement