Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my pigs are scared all the time!!!!!!!

Options
  • 08-04-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,
    We have to guinea pigs (Rudolf and Albin). almost a year old now. Our problem is specially with Albin, he is scared of everything, even small noises. He only comes out when he is really hungry and almost never let us pick him up and try to run away soon he see us. On the otherhand Rudolf is quite friendly but, he try to follow Albin and hide with him. In the evenings, when we shake the chocolate box, they both recognise the sound and come to us, first Rudolf and followed by Albin and as soon as they get like 2/3 chocolates, Albin runs away again and followed by Rudolf. I dont know what we are doing wrong. Are we putting too much stress on them in anyway...? I dont know?
    Any advise to make our Guinea pigs friendly and not scared of us, would be appreciated.
    We have had pigs/hamsters before, so we have some experiance in handling/caring them.
    Many thanks.
    Here is our pigs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH5pvolb-sw
    Dark one is Rudolf, white one is Albin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭blackbox

We have a guinea pig (Muffin) for years, and he always tries to avoid being picked up so you need a bit of dertermiantion. But when we do pick him up, he is quite happy and relaxed.

Muffin loves fresh grass - I have never tried him on chocolates - hardly found in their natural habitat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

First thing never ever feed a guineapig chocolate please you will end up making them very very ill.

Its normal for one pig to usually be more outgoing than the other, he quiet one is probably the less bossy one. Some pigs are just nervous by nature and it can actually take a very long time for a pig to come around Ive had pigs here for a year before they would relax. If you pick him up gently using a towel and keep him on your knee for a few minutes every day he may start improving holding him close and making him feel secure is important.

They are a prey animal and their instinct is to run and hide, this is normal it's just some pigs learn to relax more than others.

It's important that he is handled a little daily without stressing him out too much and practice examining his ears, feet and grease gland etc so that when he goes to the vet for health checks, nail trims or whatever he wont freak out.

He may always be a nervous pig but get down on his eye level dont tower over him keep your hand still if offering him a treat and see if he will grab it and run away.

Guineapigs will sell their soul for fresh grass (that hasnt been treated with any chemicals) I have found fresh grass the one thing that will win any pig over in the end. Some are very partial to dandelions. Also herbs like oregano, thyme and basil are big favourites.

Check out zooplus.ie they sell natural herby treats for guineas when they hear that bag rustling they will come running just as quick.
    Also I discovered this site just yesterday they have loads of healthy pig treats on it http://www.pamperedpiggies.co.uk/page.asp?module=shopCategories&clientID=11

Advertisement