Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial vehicles - Do you need to a business?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Do you need a business to buy one of these and avail of the cheap tax or can anyone get one?

I was thinking of buying a van for lugging a trailer around so it would not be used regularily at all. If I could get a commercial then I could afford it by just paying the low amount of tax and transferring insurance over to the van when required.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

You need a form signed by the Guards to state that the vehicle will be used for commercial purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

250882 wrote: »
    You need a form signed by the Guards to state that the vehicle will be used for commercial purposes.

Never needed a form from the Guards.

Just ensure your ins company knows its a comm but for private use only. Shouldn't be a problem.

I had a comm 4x4 for years, never an issue with insuring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Never needed a form from the Guards.

Just ensure your ins company knows its a comm but for private use only. Shouldn't be a problem.

I had a comm 4x4 for years, never an issue with insuring it.

Cool. So I would be paying 277 for a vehicle up to 3 tonne no matter what size the engine.

Cool. So I would be paying 277 for a vehicle up to 3 tonne no matter what size the engine.

Yep, go off and buy a 4.2 landcruiser vx, then tax it for 277, just to piss off the anti-suv brigade:p

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

250882 wrote: »

Completely untrue!! I have a commercial Pajero insured privately and taxed commercially and use it as a car. You just apply for road tax in the normal way but you cant do it online and you need an in date DOE to go with your road tax application/renewal.

I dont know about transferring your private insurance over to a commercial vehicle, its VERY difficult to get a commercial jeep insured privately only Quinn and FBD do it. When I last renewed my insurance last summer, I could only find any other companies and I dont think that they'd insure a big van privately either (you'd probably get away with a focus sized car van). I'd check into the insurance situation though.

• Advertisement

I had my comm Hilux Surf insured with Hibernian for 5 or 6 years.

farva wrote: »
    Completely untrue!! I have a commercial Pajero insured privately and taxed commercially and use it as a car. You just apply for road tax in the normal way but you cant do it online and you need an in date DOE to go with your road tax application/renewal.

I dont know about transferring your private insurance over to a commercial vehicle, its VERY difficult to get a commercial jeep insured privately only Quinn and FBD do it. When I last renewed my insurance last summer, I could only find any other companies and I dont think that they'd insure a big van privately either (you'd probably get away with a focus sized car van). I'd check into the insurance situation though.

Lucky I'm with Quinn then!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lucky I'm with Quinn then!

Quinn wouldnt let me transfer my policy from my van to my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

For 1st taxation as a commercial you usually need form RF111a (Goods only declaration), a weight cert or the unleaden weight filled in on the RF100 and stamped with a dealer stamp.

Don't know about used.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Stekelly wrote: »

I was givin the sister a lend of a commercial and Quinn wouldn't let her transfer, i gave her the same thing in passenger and they let her with a charge of 57 euro for two hours... Madness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

That's true as they are different policies, however Quinn will allow you to transfer your no claims over, so you don't lose out in any way, just have a new policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You only need to get a declaration form signed for the tax office when you are taxing a CREW CAB for the first time.............thats all. Its a form saying you are going to use the CREWCAB exclusively for commercial/business purposes and any people you will carry in the vehicle will only be carried for commercial/business purposes...yada yada yada.......

and of course, you see women driving around in them with the kids in the back all the time!

markymac wrote: »
    That's true as they are different policies, however Quinn will allow you to transfer your no claims over, so you don't lose out in any way, just have a new policy.

Yeah, thats no problem , my ncb was originally from a private policy anyway. But the OP wants to switch between the 2 (regularly?) within the same policy.

Yeah, thats no problem , my ncb was originally from a private policy anyway. But the OP wants to switch between the 2 (regularly?) within the same policy.

Yeah.

It might not be worthwhile to have to pay for a second policy.

Yeah.

It might not be worthwhile to have to pay for a second policy.

It's what I ended up having to do. :mad:

Advertisement