Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge oats....... Need to cook them??

• 08-04-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

So,

I have made some small but constant diet changes and am delighted with the results, what I am wondering, now that it is getting warmer, or should do at least..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can I eat my porridge oats raw, eg just in a shake with some milk, and if so do I loose any of the nutritional qualities of them??

Second question, can I put them into a scrambled agg mix, and cook the eggs and the oats together with some pepper etc??

MAy sound like odd questions but I have no problem at all eating bland and plain food and just need stuff that is very quick,

Thanks for reading,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

gabgab wrote: »
    Can I eat my porridge oats raw, eg just in a shake with some milk, and if so do I loose any of the nutritional qualities of them??
    Yes you can, no you won't!
    gabgab wrote:
    Second question, can I put them into a scrambled agg mix, and cook the eggs and the oats together with some pepper etc??
    Absolutely!

Well done on the positive changes ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I can't imagine they'd lose any nutritional value 'raw'.

You could try soaking them over-night in apple juice in the fridge. Then in the morning, add a spoon of natural yoghurt with some grated apple, serve cold. You can also add any berries or other fruit you have in the fridge. I love it. Just an idea for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Thanks a million for the replies guys,

I will try that apple juice idea, sounds good to me!!!

Wahoo, so I can still manage my porridge and that through the summer, DELIGHTED :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No probs. I meant to say, soak in the fridge and serve cold. I'll edit my OP in case it's not obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

hmmm that apple combo sounds tasty

and i'd never have thought of it with scrambled egg, that sounds delish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

yeuch, scrambled egg with oats sounds vile!! My bf puts oats into all his milk/ shakes the whole time and drinks them, shudder! I prefer to make oatmeal bars myself, with honey rather than sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I'd love to eat more porridge oats but hate porridge. Instead take a few raw in the morning with a fruit/seed/nut mix.

I've also tried oat cakes recently. They're lovely, especially with humous. On the pack it shows information that they're low GI, are they the same as porridge or worse for you?

I use the Kelkin organic oat cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

I take the bunalun ones, they are not that bad in a shake with some protein powder, I reckon chocolate would be best as it is quiete bland, its quick though and in 2 minutes I have chomped/swallowed down a good healthy breakfast so I am happy........ :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gabgab wrote: »
    Yep, just add them instead of flour to any basic pancake mix, or other recipe. I liquidise mine in a mini blender, you can get oat flour too.

I also mix in whey which fluffs the mixture up and makes it go a little browner when fried. I also eat them as savoury pancakes, eat them with curry sauce. I have mixed in chopped onions and curry powder to make onion bahji tye things,

Advertisement