Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 318 coupe

Options
  • 08-04-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, intersted in buying a year 2001/01 BMW 318/Ci coupe, what is the difference between the 318 and 318 ci? does anyone have any opinion or comments on this particular car? any comments appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Hi, intersted in buying a year 2001/01 BMW 318/Ci coupe, what is the difference between the 318 and 318 ci? does anyone have any opinion or comments on this particular car? any comments appreciated!

Ci referes to it being a coupe. The 318 is the standard 4 door model but many just call their 318Ci's - 318 Coupes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

and you'll pay more for having less doors........thats Bavarian Economics for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

318 is 4 doors saloon 318ci is the coupe.

Around 01 ish they changed from being a 1.8 to a newer engine which was slightly bigger - 1.9 or 2.0 i think (Still called the same) - these cars are worth a bit more.

try get leather an m-tec as there is loads about and it will be easier to sell on with these options.

I personally would buy a 320ci over the 318ci but if your not a petrol head you'll probably not notice the difference and regret the extra fuel and road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Up to early 2001 the 318i saloon and 318ci coupe had a 1.9 litre 118bhp engine. Not a very powerful engine for 1.9 litre to be honest. From mid 2001 that engine was replaced with a much more respectible 143bhp 2.0 litre valvetronic engine.

2.0 litre valvetronic versions are much better and more saught after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Tested a few and found them underpowered, went for 320ci (2.2ltr) in the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

bazz26 wrote: »
    Up to early 2001 the 318i saloon and 318ci coupe had a 1.9 litre 118bhp engine.
    I read somewhere it was September '01 when the newer engine started, and that the main difference was the older one had only 8-valves.

The 118bhp one is terribly slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what is exactly is valvetronic? i have also come across tiptronic, somehting to do with the gear box. I have notcied a few automatic 318ci.. which i wouldnt touch...

what is exactly is valvetronic? i have also come across tiptronic, somehting to do with the gear box. I have notcied a few automatic 318ci.. which i wouldnt touch...

Valvetronic is BMW's version of variable valve timing afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Valvetronic is BMW's replacement for camshafts.

Have a look in wikipedia - it's all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hey guys, just contacted the seller of one of the cars i looked at and was told the car hasnt been nct since he owned it for 3 years. He did give me the dealers contacts from who he bought it and they confirmed when it was bought and the mileage etc... The only way id consider buying is if i went out, had a look and told him to put it throught the nct first, would this make sense? or would an aa inspection suffice? help appreciated!

• Advertisement

hey guys, just contacted the seller of one of the cars i looked at and was told the car hasnt been nct since he owned it for 3 years. He did give me the dealers contacts from who he bought it and they confirmed when it was bought and the mileage etc... The only way id consider buying is if i went out, had a look and told him to put it throught the nct first, would this make sense? or would an aa inspection suffice? help appreciated!

Yes that makes good sense to me. When selling a car the seller should put it through the NCT, if there is nothing major wrong with the car it should pass. A new NCT cert on a car that is for sale can only enhance it's appeal to a potential buyer.

Advertisement