Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco not going ahead

Options
  • 08-04-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

okay tesco isnt going ahead anymore at the link road (thank god:)). There were objections from main street traders as well as locals. The objections from main street traders was against pay for parking they wanted to put in on the main street as opposed to free parking at tesco's. Its is only fair, why should people have to pay to park infront of shops that have been trading there (in some cases for decades), whilst tesco was able to provide free parking. Dept of Enviroment said no to tesco now as far as i know. Personally i enjoy the cattle in the field, also i was quite concerned about constuction so close to the river, its bad enough as it is theres not a fish in it anymore (literally).

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im not privy to the exact details, but im lead to believe a strong letter came from the Dept of Environment questioning the feasibility of the site (in a recorded floor plain), when there was full permission for a shopping district off sandy lane that wasnt being developed.

Thus tesco pulled their appeal from the Bord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

sydthebeat wrote: »
    im not privy to the exact details, but im lead to believe a strong letter came from the Dept of Environment questioning the feasibility of the site (in a recorded floor plain), when there was full permission for a shopping district off sandy lane that wasnt being developed.

Thus tesco pulled their appeal from the Bord.

Sandy lane was just a ploy to build houses that was all. They just got planning permsiion and once the ball was rolling just stuck up houses on it. Pity now because they wont sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

stevoman wrote: »
    Sandy lane was just a ploy to build houses that was all. They just got planning permsiion and once the ball was rolling just stuck up houses on it. Pity now because they wont sell.

Stupid question but where is sandy lane?:confused:

as you driving out towards portlaoise and St michaels park is on the left its the left turn just at the end of st michaels park. there's a protestant school on that road.

theres a big sign on it saying 'port shoppping centre autum 2004'.....:D

regarding the houses...... there was both an application for houses and a shopping district. AFAIK these was two separate developers, shopping centre was pat moore, houses were wardrops, pat moore couldnt get any backers to go in so it never happened..... separate issues completely.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

For the town i think it's a pity it's not going ahead. But Tesco's choice of site was a joke.

It would be great to see that area cleaned up though. I don't think it's very pleasing to the eye.

Any chance Tesco will move into where the other shopping centre was meant to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Can't say I'm surprised. Nothing every gets done in Port

kikel wrote: »
    For the town i think it's a pity it's not going ahead. But Tesco's choice of site was a joke.

It would be great to see that area cleaned up though. I don't think it's very pleasing to the eye.

Any chance Tesco will move into where the other shopping centre was meant to be?

the field itself could do with some cleaning up, but id say that will happen soon if the farmers is involved i the new rural enviroment protection scheme (reps). I think the catle should definitly stay though, a remnant to a country town ya know. Like wille eard's small farm across from o'moore park in portlaoise. its lovely so see a small farm right in the middle of a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Can't say I'm surprised. Nothing every gets done in Port

It's ironic, I was saying the same thing about my hometown of Tramore for years. We only had one decent supermarket between 7-9,000 people (not quite sure of the population stats at the moment but I know it was 7,000 years ago) and very few shops in general. Now Tesco are going ahead with a building after years of wrangling, their first "eco friendly" shop no less :confused:. Now it seems I'm in another town where "nothing gets done". Hurrah! :D The revamped Super Valu is a big improvement on what was there before - was only in there for the first time on Sunday so I'm not sure how long it has been like that.

good articles in both the express and nationalist today.....
    interesting to see the different spin put on by different papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

feck tesco bring on Dunnes!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

DéiseGirl wrote: »
    The revamped Super Valu is a big improvement on what was there before - was only in there for the first time on Sunday so I'm not sure how long it has been like that.

Did you not have to go home and have a shower afterwards??? I was there on Monday night and it looks prettier but my God they need to get the Pledge out!

Did you not have to go home and have a shower afterwards??? I was there on Monday night and it looks prettier but my God they need to get the Pledge out!

Its just because its in renovation. i worked there under the same manager and owner when i was a lad and TBH they are spotless in every aspect so i couldnt fault them.

where did you get to for our meet stevoman??? :rolleyes:

Ruby-J wrote: »
    where did you get to for our meet stevoman??? :rolleyes:

My time is very limited at the moment ruby! I thought i slipped through the net......:o My girlfriend is expecting at the moment and is due in the nest 2 weeks so i have been off the beer for the last few weeks weaning myself off it so i can drive to collect her when the day comes (im very fond of my cans:eek:), so me steering clear of the pub wasnt a bad idea. Its great to have a honest excuse! lol

Its just because its in renovation. i worked there under the same manager and owner when i was a lad and TBH they are spotless in every aspect so i couldnt fault them.

Ah I'm not slagging them stevoman ~ maybe that came out wrong!!

I love Supervalu and would always go there over Centra. Think that was why I was so surprised at the level of dust on the food and jars/bottles etc.

In fact I was in there again last night!! Am I forgiven now...??

And good luck with the new arrival ~ this lot is baby mad so you'd better have pics ready!! Not of the actual birth though eh??? :eek::eek:

Ah I'm not slagging them stevoman ~ maybe that came out wrong!!

I love Supervalu and would always go there over Centra. Think that was why I was so surprised at the level of dust on the food and jars/bottles etc.

In fact I was in there again last night!! Am I forgiven now...??

And good luck with the new arrival ~ this lot is baby mad so you'd better have pics ready!! Not of the actual birth though eh??? :eek::eek:
    #

I wasnt giving out to you curvy. you must think im a big grump.:):) No i was just saying that Super Valu is really clean so it is, its one thing id always credit them for. Isnt the extra space just great? Yeah i'l post up the pics of baby as soon as it arrives, can't wait! (clean and all):D

ps - what centra are you one about? If its the one on station road i have a personal vendetta with that shop! ok maybe i am grumpy LOL

My time is very limited at the moment ruby! I thought i slipped through the net......:o My girlfriend is expecting at the moment and is due in the nest 2 weeks so i have been off the beer for the last few weeks weaning myself off it so i can drive to collect her when the day comes (im very fond of my cans:eek:), so me steering clear of the pub wasnt a bad idea. Its great to have a honest excuse! lol

ok ok ok, il let that slide! no worries. but you'll have to meet us the next time! we are all mad but harmless!

best of luck with the delivery. as curvy said post pics when ye can! :D

ok ok ok, il let that slide! no worries. but you'll have to meet us the next time! we are all mad but harmless!

best of luck with the delivery. as curvy said post pics when ye can! :D

i will definitly!!!!

feck tesco bring on Dunnes!!!! :D:D:D

Ah Dunnes, it has come a long way since the 80s - I work near the Mary Street/Henry Street? (never sure which is which) store in Dublin and it's an absolute pleasure to shop in. I really like the Kyle Centre Dunnes in Portlaoise, but my brother lives near the "other" Dunnes and he always jokes the moon landing was filmed in the car park there :D

• Advertisement

Didn't notice any dust to be honest! I know there are bits of it still higgeldy piggeldy as they're not quite finished the renovation but the fruit and veg section is much better, I used to feel my blood pressure rising as I was trying to get around it "excuse me, oops, sorry, pardon me, can I get past you there?" :mad: Will definitely be shopping there more often now!

Ah Dunnes, it has come a long way since the 80s - I work near the Mary Street/Henry Street? (never sure which is which) store in Dublin and it's an absolute pleasure to shop in. I really like the Kyle Centre Dunnes in Portlaoise, but my brother lives near the "other" Dunnes and he always jokes the moon landing was filmed in the car park there :D

Oh have you tried the restaurant in the Mary St/Henry St Dunnes?? It's fab!!! Very Harvey Nicks but at half the price!!

Ah Dunnes, it has come a long way since the 80s -

hasnt it just?!!! its actually somewhere you'd reccommend to someone to buy clothes. instead of avoiding telling people where yoyu bought a specific item when it was from dunnes! lol. love the new savida range! can be a bit pricey though!!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... im sleepy listening to all this shopping crack

We can't all have women in our loves that shop for us....I'd much rather be in the pub with the boys who say that shopping bores them but are happy to be shopped for...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

oh curvy whats up this morning

Hate men! They're all a waste of space......

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

oooooh curvy! tut tut -you should join my club it opens every few days!:D New members always welcome as long as they are female!

In saying the men arent all bad I got my breakie in bed yesterday!:D

undecided wrote: »
    oooooh curvy! tut tut -you should join my club it opens every few days!:D New members always welcome as long as they are female!

In saying the men arent all bad I got my breakie in bed yesterday!:D

lucky you undecided!!! i got a an elbow in the eye!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hate men! They're all a waste of space......

Aww Curvy...hope you're alright.

heres something to turn that frown upside down!

We don’t have to make fools out of ourselves to impress a man

Our friends don’t pick on us if we aren’t sleeping with anyone

Men don’t know what our ‘girl talk’ is all about (and I’m not gonna tell you)

We’re all sittin on a gold mine - we know it and use it to our extreme advantage

We don’t have to drive when on a date.

An ugly woman can use makeup and get a new hairdo to become presentable - ugly men are just f*cked

Women can use the old “that mark on my neck is from a curling iron burn” line

Women know how fake it

Women look better naked

We know that rhythm doesn’t only pertain to dancing

When women are short, we’re petite, when men are short, they’re just short

Women do less time for violent crime

Women don’t have to worry about not being able to get it up

An oblong vegetable is all we need for a good time any night

Women’s conversations generally consist of more than just “uh huh, yep ok then bye”

Women don’t need an excuse to be in a bad mood

Women never have to see combat

The remote control is not an extension of ourselves

Women can do more then one thing at a time

women can get 100s off the marked price at a car garage, supermarket, electronics...just by opening a few buttons on ther top

When women see a ''caution'' sign, they carefully avoid it, while
    men assume that it was meant for someone else, and come home with
    every bone broken.

*Women characterize the first date, by seeing how you act and eat. Men
    check to see if you can name at least one football, basketball ot
    basebll star.

*Women can stand to be wrong, while men make excuses about
    ''misunderstanding'' and some how it is always the women's fault.

*Women understand that babies do not come from a stork.

*When in a hospital, women will share all emotions. While men, being
    the ''tough'' guys that they are, will ''stay calm'' until someone
    finally notices that he has wet the chair he is sitting in.

*Women love to help. Men feel you want commitment when you ask to do
    the dishes...

Advertisement