Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UHF Radio and Throat MIC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

CTU_Agent wrote: »
    Hi,

Ive ordered the IASUS IA5 and Sniper pro headset, however I was wondering if anyone ever had trouble getting them through customs?

Do they have a problem with radios capable of transmitting UHF, outside of the 446 PMR range?

Just wondering if anyone else bout one or similar.

MIC
    http://www.evotactical.com/index.php?
    main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=199

Radio

http://www.evotactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=192

Thanks

BG

AFAIK you need a licence to use one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

The radio does operate on the license free side of 446MHZ range also....The retailer did say they have shipped to UK and europe before without issue....

Here's hoping ........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Do they have a problem with radios capable of transmitting UHF, outside of the 446 PMR range?

Yes but its also capable of transmitting on alot of other frequncies so be very very carefull when you get it how you use it. Garda ones being the most notable.

You also need to limit its output power to the legal PMR446 figure of 500mw/.5w as it will output up to 5w.

You will need to figure out how to properly program and use the radios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Ive no issue limiting the power output and frequency range as I understand the Garda freqencies operate on 455Mhz.

I wonder will customs hold the item, or is the legislation similar to that of a radio scanner.

Legal to sell,
    Legal to buy
    Legal to own
    Legal to use - However not for transmissions not meant for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Frequency range 400.000-469.900MHz
    Programmable Channel Capacity 16
    Channel spacing 25KHz/12.5KHz

this is a slight grey area for amatur radio entusiasts if he only uses the radio on 446 mhz he is not breaking any laws but once outside that range he would be subject to the dept of communications laws governing the use of a transmitter,and would require a licence even with an amatuer licence that only opens you up to more restricted freq.
    my opinion dont bother getting it.

Garda freqencies operate on 455Mhz.
    thats a repeater channell if you transmit on that no one will ever hear you they actually use other frequncies in the two way system

• Advertisement

455 is control sets but they have local UHF sets as well outside of 455. I don't see any reason why it cannt be used strictly on the PMR frequencies with the .5w ERP.

Ive no issue limiting the power output and frequency range as I understand the Garda freqencies operate on 455Mhz.

I wonder will customs hold the item, or is the legislation similar to that of a radio scanner.

They wont hold them other then to charge you VAT/Duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

It can ive two yaesus just for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

The answer to this is very simple.

To possess that set in Ireland requires a license. Its that simple.

Even if you only intend to use it for the 446MHz allocation.

The reason for this is that the 446MHz allocation is license exempt for type approved radios. That is to say a radio that is designed and manufactured to work only on the designated frequencies and transmit no more than the maximum output power allowed for that range of frequencies.

This set does not fit that description therefore requires a license to possess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

There's alot of "facts" getting stated here without any evidence to back them up.

Can someone please quote the relevant section of law that applies to this? If no definitive answer is found then it will have to be treated the same as lasers, a grey area, but we will have no choice but to err on the side of caution.

• Advertisement

Here is what Comreg say:
    Licence Exempt (S.I. 93(98)) if equipment meets ETS 300 296, Bandwidth 12.5 kHz, 500mW max erp, and uses Tone control (CTCSS or DCS)

Which is obviously inline with what Tactical said. Have to track down a copy of ETS 300 296.

Ref: http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/odtr0062R.pdf, page 8

ETS 300 296 refers to:
    ETS 300 296/A1:1997—Radio equipment and systems (RES); Land mobile service; Technical characteristics and test conditions for radio equipment using integral antennas intended primarily for analog speech.

Hi Guys,

Sorry I forgot to include the relevant info to back up my last post.

I work professionally in this very area and tend to forget that not everyone is as familiar with the current legislation as I am.

The following is taken from the Comreg website and should help to explain my post:-
    ===================================

Licensing of Wireless Telegraphy Equipment

The possession and use of radio equipment in Ireland is governed by the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1926, (Act No 45 of 1926pop-up.gif), (as amended), which stipulates that an appropriate Wireless Telegraphy licence must be held, unless licence exempted.

ComReg is the authority charged with the authorisation of Wireless Telegraphy equipment in Ireland, with the exception of Ships Radio Licensing.
    An authorisation may take the form of either a licence or a licence exemption. A licence may be issued under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1926, or under the Broadcasting Authority Act 1960, as amended (in the case of the RTÉ Authority), or under a Radio and Television Act, 1988 (in the case of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland).

In managing the radio spectrum, ComReg has set down specific rules and regulations for the possession and use of many forms of radio equipment. These regulations specify the licensing regime or exempt the radio equipment from licensing.

Unlicensed or non-compliant possession or use of radio equipment is illegal rendering offenders liable for prosecution. ComReg’s Spectrum Compliance Team
    =========================

A weblink for this is http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/licensing.541.html

Sorry for any confusion caused by this.

Oh yes,

I forgot the relevant legislation.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1926 and its subsequent ammendments.

So the long and short of it is that the IASUS radio is illeagle here without a licence. For the same sort of mony or slightly more an XTN446 would be a better buy, atl east you will know your 100% legal.

Thanks Tactical, its good to get clear info posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Tactical wrote: »
    Unlicensed or non-compliant possession or use of radio equipment is illegal rendering offenders liable for prosecution.

And there's the deciding factor, possession of any device capable of broadcasting in a licenced spectrum is illegal, anything Illegal is against this forum's charter and hence that's the end of this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement