Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland back for Ireland

• 08-04-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Stephen Ireland back in the Ireland squad

breaking news

Sorry guys the direct link to the actual feature in breaking news is down, so cannot elaborate any more at this time .

Chef

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

And Robbie Keane to still be captain :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

good news, but he's been pretty poor when i've seen him this second half of the season, like the whole Man City team (apart from THAT goal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

excellent him and andy reid for the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

excellent him and andy reid for the middle.
    i was going to say that's a bit lightweight but... :pac::pac::pac:

what i mean is there's not much tackling ability in there, i'd keep on with Carsley for the moment

but drop Duff, he's lost it completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm very happy about this. I think we've got real options up front now.
    Reid should be in the middle no doubt, but it should be Steven.

I wouldn't mind seeing

Keane

Ireland
    --Hunt--Reid--Reid--McGeady--

with the options of Duff instead of Hunt if he can get back to his old self, and Doyle in there to swap to a 4-4-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The full 40 man squad:

Goalkeepers:

Given (Newcastle), Henderson (Preston North End), Kenny (Sheffield United), Randolph (Charlton Athletic/Bury), Colin Doyle (Birmingham City), Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe United)

Defenders:

Kelly (Birmingham City), Dunne (Manchester City), Kilbane (Wigan Athletic), O’Shea (Manchester United), J. O’Brien (Bolton Wanderers), McShane (Sunderland), Foley (Wolves), O’Dea (Celtic).

Midfielders:

Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Miller (Sunderland), Ireland (Manchester City), Duff (Newcastle United), McGeady (Celtic), Andy Reid (Sunderland), Carsley (Everton), Gibson (Manchester United/Wolves), Hunt (Reading), Potter (Wolves), Garvan (Ipswich Town), Hoolahan (Blackpool), McPhail (Cardiff City), Rowlands (QPR), Whelan (Stoke City).

Forwards:

Elliott (Wolves), Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Morrisson (Crystal Palace), Long (Reading), Andy Keogh (Wolves), Stokes (Sunderland), Murphy (Sunderland), Scannell (Crystal Palace), O’Donovan (Sunderland), Connolly (Sunderland).

Interestingly no Finnan or Andy O'Brien, glad to see Garvan getting a call, don't see what the likes of David Connolly have done to deserve a call up, but I suppose it's a good thing to allow almost all players to start with a clean slate.

Is this everyone that could be considered for 2010 qualification or has he left anyone out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Weso's in the squad!:D

Hope he gets chosen for the actual squad for the two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

PHB wrote: »
    I'm very happy about this. I think we've got real options up front now.
    Reid should be in the middle no doubt, but it should be Steven.

I wouldn't mind seeing

Keane

Ireland
    --Hunt--Reid--Reid--Ireland--

with the options of Duff instead of Hunt if he can get back to his old self, and Doyle in there to swap to a 4-4-2.

Who is the other Ireland? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Interestingly no Finnan or Andy O'Brien
    They've retired from International Football, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry, got confused between the two young kids :) McGeady

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Interestingly no Finnan or Andy O'Brien, glad to see Garvan getting a call, don't see what the likes of David Connolly have done to deserve a call up, but I suppose it's a good thing to allow almost all players to start with a clean slate.

Is this everyone that could be considered for 2010 qualification or has he left anyone out?

This is basically everyone.Finnan and O'Brien are retired.maybe Lee will get a look in if he performs but unlikely!

Maybe Ronnie O'Brien could be convinced to play.Very unlikely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think Steven Hunts brother deserved a callup more so than Conolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah, even if he is playing in the SPL surely he deserves a call more than someone who has played 96 minutes of league football all season, Hunt is one of the league's top scorers

Maybe Tardelli or Trap haven't heard of him yet

All the same at least no one can really be complaining about not being given some sort of a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Chippy has an interview with Finnan and O'Brien lined up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

hasnt actually spoken to Ireland. will be in the 28 though and there should be no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

will1977 wrote: »
    And Robbie Keane to still be captain :eek::eek:

Ugh :(

Has Trap watched any of our matches since 2002 or just Spurs games?

Its not his place to name a new captian at this time. I believe he will use the Portugal Camp as a way of truly selecting the next captian. It could be Keane, but I reckon it will be Dunney.

Sorry, just read the real story on rte. quite dissapointing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What formation does Trap favour? 4-4-2, 4-5-1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Apart from Keane as captain, this squad gets a massive thumbs up from me.

Hopefully the likes of Weso, Garvan and McPhail are given the opportunity to replicate their club form.

Also, we've almost as many keepers there as we do defenders!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Glad to see Martin Rowlands finally get a call up.

Would like to see Glenn Whelan get a call up next time too.

Can't see what people like Connelly, O'Donovan or Stokes have done to be in there ahead of Trundle though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Seaneh wrote: »

Can't see what people like Connelly, O'Donovan or Stokes have done to be in there ahead of Trundle though...

Be Irish? And eligible?

Good to see 6 recent former LoI players in there too - a clear indication of rising standards.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Apart from Keane as captain, this squad gets a massive thumbs up from me.
    Hopefully the likes of Weso, Garvan and McPhail are given the opportunity to replicate their club form.

Also, we've almost as many keepers there as we do defenders!

It would be hard not te'....its basically our International Pool.:D

But yeah actually I think this shows we actually do have a reasonably decent pool of players.

Advertisement