Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Question -Bit Strange...

Options
  • 08-04-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just brought in a 2005 Passat 1.9tdi 130bhp Highline.
    48k miles, cost me €10750 on an english plate.

Time to pay the piper now so went online to the revenue.ie site where i proceeded to enter the cars details.

My car was first reg'ed in Jan '05, but the website only recognises 1.9tdi's form June onwards of that year...
    Therefore, when i enter my car's details for January, it is valued at €17,800 with VRT of €4450 approx, however while doing this again, i made a mistake and entered the month as june of the same year, only to find the VRT was cheaper!
    Of course my interest was aroused now so went through all the months of 2005, only to find the cheapest was December!!

Now maybe i'm missing something completely obvious, but it seems to me that the Revenue website is valuing a car which is just about a year younger (Dec '05 vs Jan '05) at almost €1000 less!

Can anyone shed any light?, or am i a bit thick? or is it simply a website glitch?

Either way, is this the same method the customs boys will use to calculate my VRT? And if so, will i be able to have a row with them?

Thanks to all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

best of luck with new car.
    on vrt the version should be[D Nov 2000- May 2005]
    Available matching vehicles[ 1.9Tdi high 130bhp04dr{1896cc}
    then press calculate=VRT 4321 euro:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Hi,
    sorry I can't answer you question directly, but wouldn't you be better trying to wait until July 1st when the VRT rate will be lower?

I was thinking of buying this model also in the summer, I'll probabaly go for a 2004 model. Do you have any advice on where to buy? I already booked a flight to London and will more than likely check out cargiant.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PCwiggum wrote: »
    wouldn't you be better trying to wait until July 1st when the VRT rate will be lower?

Can I remind you that you have to register the car within 24 hours of bringing it into the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

unkel wrote: »
    Can I remind you that you have to register the car within 24 hours of bringing it into the country...
    what if you bring it down from the north on a friday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rbd wrote: »
    what if you bring it down from the north on a friday evening?

It's actually by the end of the next working day. So it would have to be registered by Monday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

PCwiggum wrote: »
    Hi,
    sorry I can't answer you question directly, but wouldn't you be better trying to wait until July 1st when the VRT rate will be lower?

I was thinking of buying this model also in the summer, I'll probabaly go for a 2004 model. Do you have any advice on where to buy? I already booked a flight to London and will more than likely check out cargiant.

I think the TDi only comes down from 25% to 24%, don't quote me on that though. The big winners are the 2.0L's which drop from 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

conor_mc wrote: »
    I think the TDi only comes down from 25% to 24%, don't quote me on that though. The big winners are the 2.0L's which drop from 30%.

Yeah, you're probably right Conor, - I was originally planning to buy an Accord 2.2CTDi, (before I realised the motor tax would still be based on cc pre 2008), so I'm still a bit confused with all the figures in my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

unkel wrote: »

Unless you happen to live in carlow, where the office to make payments only opens from 9.30 - 11.45 on a wednesday and thursday morning!!

so you can buy a car thurs eve and not be able to pay vrt for nearly a week...

Thanks to all for their help, will just try to have a row with them... even with the quote of €4350, the car still comes to a tad over €15000, with the book value being anything from €17000 - €18000, and i've seen similar models in garage forecourts for anything from €17500 - €19000!

Dont mind paying the vrt, my point was that there was obviously a flaw in the calculation method on the website when a car which is a year younger is cheaper to import!

Again, thanks to all

Advertisement