Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

k800i 3G phone as modem?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi

I'm using O2 mobile network, just wondering is it possible to use my Sony Ericsson k800i to function as a modem in order to let my laptop connect to the internet? Any solutions? How to do it?:)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hi,
    I have a k610i which I've used to access the net through my laptop (Mac iBook) before.

You'll need bluetooth either built in or a USB dongle.

Install the bluetooth software (if necessary), pair it with the phone and then create a network connection using the Bluetooth module (assuming you're using Windows). Once you get the bluetooth working then Google is your friend for setting it up.

Bare in mind though that you'll be paying 3G rates though so make sure you monitor how much you download/upload... My mother got charged an absolute fortune for being online for a few minutes with Vodafone through her laptop because she didn't have some package selected or something along those lines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Have a k800i on O2 and it was very simple to set up as a modem with my laptop. The phone comes with a USB cable and a CD with software to install. If you follow the process, you will end up with a new modem listed under control panel. You can just use this to connect to the internet. I can post more details if you need further info when you get to this stage.

I'd avoid Bluetooth to be honest, the USB cable will work better. You should also be aware that while the k800i is a 3G phone, it does not do HSDPA or HSUPA so you will not reach the same speeds as someone who buys a 3G Huawei USB modem. I think you're limited to a theoretical maximum of 384kbps on the k800i. I'm sure someone will correct me on this if I've gotten the figure wrong.

Advertisement