Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laws for modifying

Options
  • 08-04-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Im planning on getting either an FTO or MX3 this summer. Im going to get a full kit (nothing vulgar) alloys, in car computer, sound system (im a techie geek) and possibly lower it. A twin exhaust is as far as I want to go with the engine.

Im wondering what laws, if any, I should know about. I saw the thread on exhausts and the general concensus seems to be that its a grey area.

Also if anyone can share their experiences with the two cars, id like to hear them.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

no experience wit the two cars but wit this new law in june on loud bxes would be the only thing i would worrie about! as for all the other stuff as long as it wil pass the nct with the stuff in it your fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

sound system (im a techie geek)

Ahem...
    Wiring this in yourself are ya there Cunning?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

The computer I will. Guy i used to work with in PC World has offered me his car system cheap. Gonna grab u for the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Noice...
    Btw If youre interested i have some links to pretty good front end interface software for the carputer to make browsing music, gps, web, movies, external cameras ect easier..
    Looked at this quite a lot..
    Couldnt quite bring myself to spring for the 7" motorised indash touchscren tho..

OT:
    IIRC with tinting to the letter of the law the windscreen and both front side windows must allow 70% light transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I saw the thread on exhausts and the general concensus seems to be that its a grey area.

Not really. Any modification to the factory exhaust is illegal and the Gardai can impound your car on the spot if they want to. Never heard of it being done but it's hardly a grey area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

Also whenever you modify your car, your obliged to notify your insurance company, this doesn strictly apply to cosmetic modifications like wheels, paint, stereo etc. but in the case of the exhaust you would have to tell them, if you didn and you crashed your insurance would be void, they would only pay out for the third party but not for your own damage. Naturally if you tell them that you have modified your car they do not have to continue insuring you. And they will definately hike up the price..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't go kitting an FTO, the standard lines are much slicker. the Veilside kit detracts from the overall look of the car.

veilside.gif

Lowered, wheel upgrade, Quad exhausts, HID's and some detailing is a lot more effective IMO (although I'm biassed!)
    normal_STA44094.JPG

Mine was the blue one on 18's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

Ive got an mx3, you can pm me if you need any info on them.
    if you do get one I wouldnt advise lowering it as I bought mine lowered and its HELL on large speed bumps. if you plan to put a kit on it ( like I do ) and put some 19s on it to fit the HUGE arches it will look pretty good.

feel free to get in contact with me if you want, I know a few people with mx3s as well ( theres not that many of them so its handy to know someone to swap parts with)
    Ive got a 500gig media player in mine (im a techie too)

They're great cars , real fun to drive and bril handling, I was down in cork the other day and had loads of fun on the tiny winding roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the law of modifying - tune it properly , if you just want something that looks good , keep it that way , dont buy a back box as it will sound like mary harney haviong an orgasm

if you want something fast , make it fast , keep the looks simple and the weight down

if you want a mix of both , buy an old bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

S.I.R wrote: »
    , dont buy a back box as it will sound like mary harney haviong an orgasm

Fair play to you for finding out what that sounds like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Fair play to you for finding out what that sounds like!

LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

S.I.R wrote: »
    dont buy a back box as it will sound like mary harney haviong an orgasm

Hahah brilliant!

Advertisement