Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Endorsed Licence

Options
  • 08-04-2008 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

What does an endorsed licence mean? Does it affect your insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

dellas1979 wrote: »
    What does an endorsed licence mean? Does it affect your insurance?

It basically means your insurance is afected as there is a conviction endorsed on the face of the licence. It lasts for 3 years.

Personally I have an issue with endorsements. While an endorsment for something that might affect risk makes sense (e.g. driving driving), an endorsment for driving with no insurance doesn't. Once a person gets insurance the fact they were in the past punished for not having it should not be an excuse for an insurer to raise the premium. The penalties imposed by the state should be severe enough to discourage people driving without insurance and those fines should go to the state, and not the insurance co, as does happen at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Does is affect the insurance companies by much?

Just asking as my partner was told his licence would be endorsed after paying a fine for €1000. He kept putting off payment for fines due to driving with no tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Does is affect the insurance companies by much?

Just asking as my partner was told his licence would be endorsed after paying a fine for €1000. He kept putting off payment for fines due to driving with no tax.

You will just have to get a quote, but I would say by a fair bit.

Again there is no justification for someones premium going up because of not paying tax, but that is what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also insurance companies will make a big deal out of old endorsements, those older than 5 years. You would be well advised to get any endorsements removed as soon as the 3 years are up.

Advertisement