Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xm8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

AGM make them as do Both Elephant, I guess the AGM version would be best but don't quote me on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

src also make a version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I have the same Dis-like for XM8s that other people here on these
    boards have for FAL's.

To Star Trek looking for me.

At the toys for big boys convention those stuck out like
    sore thumbs all those other "bad guy" vendors as I will call them
    since they were not Eirsoft and MIA were selling XM8's
    they were common as muck. There are bound to be really
    cheap clones out there.

But each to their own. we all have our own likes and dislikes.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭penguin-o7

i was looking into these as well but everyone ive found said theres hi cap included now iam not sure if theres a mag included in general
    one thing to be carefull about is extra mags and the likes iam still looking around thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

from the resecrch ive done into the xm8's src do the best one , apparrently the rest are just cheap clones with feck all upgrades available,

one thing ive noticed the agm seems to take g36 mags so extra mags shouldnt be a problem ,

pros =good looks

cons= no external upgrades

• Advertisement

never seen any pics of the xm8 project with m4/m14 mags, do you have any info on that or some pics sounds interesting, wiki for xm8 info if anyone wants http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

The XM8 uses the G36 mags by standard. I'm not aware of any magwell kits for either RS or airsoft versions of the XM8 to allow the STANAG mags to be used. Especially since the magwell on the XM8 is moulded directly to the body, unlike the G36's removable one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

This is all nice and everything but are they any good I was looking at the one onairsoft world inparticular

Apparently the only one worth having is the SRC. The rest are only good for wall hangers. The AGM has a plastic gearbox and a dummy scope that can't be removed, which is a huge pain since there's no rail for dotsight mounts nor are there any iron sights on it. AI did a nice 5 part (I think it was 5) piece on building up a good XM8 using an AGM body and various parts, have a look at that and see if it'd be something you're willing to do.
    The XM8 is something I've been toying with the idea of getting for a while but the lack of decent versions is rather off-putting. While the SRC is the best available, it's only the best of a bad bunch. It's reviews are mixed but far better than the AGM and JLS (lpeg) versions.
    The problem is, because of how they look, they split the market opinion too much for people to actually go and buy one when a G36, which is essentially the same thing in a different box, is available so noone is willing to produce them.

The other alternative to the SRC or the build from scratch AI job is the GWS Customs XM8 kit. They're hard to come by lately but have the best XM8 body going, all you'd need is a donor G36c to swap bodies with. However, with the G36c costing €130 and the kit price hovering around the €200 mark, it's a pricey option. Pricey, but one that will perform well and last you when you consider the reliability of the JG G36c's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Yuck, fugly:p

• Advertisement

I suppose any idea of the price of the src? That was to naked dex I really like the look of the XM8

About the $260 mark ex. delivery for the SRC. Making it cheaper than the build option, but not by much.
    I quite like the look of them too, but the production models out there are all a bit different from the real thing, have no trades and have a terrible, irremoveable scope so, personally, I'm going the build route since a good production model seems a long way off.

Hmmm the US military aren't actually developing the XM8 anymore are they?

They never were. It was Heckler and Kochs entrant into the next gen rifle race that was eventually one by FN with the SCAR. The US did fund most of the research on it as part of the XM8 project and the OICW project where it originally came from. Which is why the G36 suddenly appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. The G36 is the finished XM8 with the problems eliminated and some adjustments made that the Bundeswehr wanted. The same OICW project funded the complete design and research into the MP7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The FN SCAR just won the SOCOM contract. The Marines are looking at it aswell though. The US Army are looking for a future rifle to possibly replace the M4 when the contract with Bushmaster runs out next year.

They are looking at the HK416, FN SCAR, XM8 and possibly the M468, and did a test in 2007 with the first 3 against the M4 in a reliability test.

Damn the internet lied to me again

I was under the impression the XM8 was out of the running since H&K ceased r&d on it shortly after losing the contract for SOCOM and were instead entering the 416/7 into the contract running for the marines tender.

the US army contract is with colt not bushmaster,

the xm8 was cancelled ,but is now back in development as its proved more reliable than the the 416,scar and g36 ,

the competition is now between the magpul masada and the xm8 .
    for the replacement of ther m4 also the us military put a purchase order for 70,000 new m4 s for this year and next year,
    which means no replacement for the m4 in the near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I thought the g36 was the end product of the xm8 research?

They have identical operation afaik, but the g36 doesnt melt...

The Masada is now Bushmasters baby since they bought it outright.

The XM8 had some major problems that were fixed in the development of the G36, I was unaware that the XM8 project had somehow leaped an evolutionary ladder rung and was back on the list. I was told the 416 was their replacement entry. Interesting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I think the 416 was marketed as, Hey, it will fit all your existing magazines, look the same, operate the same but be better, and cheaper than a whole new system, and training operators to use that new system.

The xm8 was a whole new platform, needing new training on operation, maintenance all that jazz.

So I think they are appealing to the purse strings of the military.

The bushmaster one is the same, just marketed as a new upper, all lowers and accessories are still compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wow never heard of the Magpul Masada before, (sounds like a weapon Israel would make) just looked it up on youtube, impressive alright.

The g36 was in development way before the xm8 and the future weapons project in the us although the G36 was bought into mainline German army use around the time the program started, the g36 was delivered to German front line units in 1994/1995 after year of development and the xm8 was developed during the late 1990 to early 2000 when the project was cancelled.

The Hk416 was a result of the us delta force (could be wrong but it was one of us sf's units) going to hk and asking them to look the issues with the m4, this was because of the work that hk had done on the British battle rifle to make it of some use to the British :) , hk said they would produce a updated version solving the problems and if the unit where unhappy then there was no cost or obligation to them, well they where happy with the results (aka the hk416) and the orders came in.

the 416 was designed by delta sargent larry vickers , the rest is posted above ,

the xm8 came from the oicw programme was was designed by a us general

thats the guy along with Ernst Mauch from hk there is a nice write up from larry over at hkpro in regard to the development of the hk416 http://www.hkpro.com/hk416.htm

Lets not go into the relm of real bullets (I'm saying it before the mods do)

Advertisement