Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus

Options
  • 08-04-2008 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am thinking of buying of Lexus IS200 in the summer and im just looking for opinons.I will be 21 when il be buying it,how much would the insurance be?.How much on average would you use in a week on petrol?Any faults to look out for when buying one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I know there will be some changes, but this months top gear mag has a write up on buying the IS200 second hand. Covers the bases i think.
    I don't know the different spec between UK and Irish models.

I would say the insurance is pricey enough but ring around see what is said.
    Actually go for the lexus,not toyota altezza!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'm actually looking at the same..

The quotes I getting range from 900 - €4000.

And thats a full license, 2 year no claims and 27.

Must have a look at the top gear mag..

As for petrol usage, depends on where your driving..

Here's a spec sheet, it gives some rough numbers for mileage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

Hi,
    I got a Lexus IS200 sport fc kin love it, had it a year now.
    major fault with it is the front inner tyre wear, very common.
    not so bad on mine thou, got pirelli pzero's and the front ones are nearly due a change after 22,000 miles.
    Another fault iss the CD changer err1 code and if you see it cd changer won't work. If theres a spoiler on the boot. The boot will only unlock and not swing open. There is a fix for this and i need to do it on mine. Other than that an absolutley fantastic car to drive. Just as cabrwab said about the Altezza, I always wondered about one but went with Lexus.
    Altezza was the first car to arrive on the market and toyota then asked a few enigneers to make a luxry marque out of it. All they did was put a six cylinder pot engine into and there you have Lex.
    Since I got it all i had to do on it was a service. Sorry I cant comment on other brands, all i ever had were toyota's.
    Here are the treads for the tyre wear and the err1 code faults on Lexus GB forums. i see your abit young too, have you checked around for insurance yet, might be abit high. any how let me know how you get on.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=48284

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=45775&hl=err1

Gluk,
    Fred.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I am thinking of buying of Lexus IS200 in the summer and im just looking for opinons.I will be 21 when il be buying it,how much would the insurance be?.How much on average would you use in a week on petrol?
    Hang on till I get my crystal ball...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

aint the altezzas a 6 pot aswell:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

kona wrote: »
    aint the altezzas a 6 pot aswell:confused:

No the Altezza is 4 pot the Lex is 6 pot.
    Well correct me if I'm wrong but I am almost sure.
    Then again there is an AS and a RS model maybe one of them is 6 pot.
    Not sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anan1 wrote: »
    Hang on till I get my crystal ball...
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

My dad had an IS200 Sport back in 99 when they first came out. Its a fairly slick car, I think that he used to get about 28mpg from it. I'm 22 op and I was kinda thinking about getting one, but I'm probably going to get an A4 2.0 TDI 170bhp instead. I think that if I bought the IS200 I'd regret it as I might find it to be a little slow due to a pretty low torque output.

With regard to insurance only you can answer that one but if I was getting one I'd be expecting to pay about €1000, maybe a bit less fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I had a IS200 sport 03, Nice car to drive but omg they are heavy on petrol,
    As farva said get a diesel cars most of them would do double the mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

i had one for 3 years (2L petrol sport), very good car. only issue was tyre wear other than that absolutly nothing ever went wrong not so much as not starting first time on an icy morning. from a reliability point of view you wont get much better as long as it has been cared for by the previous owner, they are pretty much bullet proof.

Go with the proper lexus if you can the altezza is the same except its 4 Cyl as opposed to a flat 6 cyl in the lexus.

im not sure how much milage i was doing but general into town and out every day (12km each way) with some town driving also each day was costing me about €50 per week in juice.

also worth noting is because there are a lot of them second hand now for reasonable money there has been a big uptake in them omongst boy racers, you may attract unwanted attention from the police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One of my cousins has a 2004 IS200 and he is getting around the same mpg as his previous car, a 2002 BMW 320ci 2.2 litre so the IS200 likes a bit of fuel. Saying that he loves the IS200. He bought his up in the North, got a nicer speced car for less money and it's a shade of red that is pretty rare down here.

Advertisement