Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Boards Posters Remain Annonymous?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭

As the title says,

Just want to get people's opinions on this one.....

Should there be more details required of a person (like full name), in general on public forums?.....
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I am an enigma!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Nobody is entirely anonymous here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Everybody knows my name.

I stand by every single thing I post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

DesF wrote: »
    Everybody knows my name.

Now we know your voice too.

6th you're about as much of an enigma as a block of stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

DesF wrote: »
    Everybody knows my name.

Same, It's very easy to figure out who most people are, and if people want to remain anonymous, then that's up to them. I personally have nothing to hide about my identity, That said I don't go around posting my address either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Maximilian wrote: »
    Nobody is entirely anonymous here

Not entirely true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

People should be able to stay anonymous. I wouldn't like my full name and details accessible through boards for anyone to see. There's a lot of dodgy people accessing the internet these days, and I sure wouldn't like for one of them to turn up at my doorstep with a bat over something I said on an internet forum.

A lot of people here have met me offline and know my full name and I'd prefer to keep things that way.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

ntlbell wrote: »
    Not entirely true.

er. so somebody is entirely anonymous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well I know I'm not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

rb_ie wrote: »
    People should be able to stay anonymous. I wouldn't like my full name and details accessible through boards for anyone to see. There's a lot of dodgy people accessing the internet these days, and I sure wouldn't like for one of them to turn up at my doorstep with a bat over something I said on an internet forum.

A lot of people here have met me offline and know my full name and I'd prefer to keep things that way.

lol, but thats kind of my point.....If your name is posted after everything you write you would think twice about writing something litigious, agro or whatever... ... If you have to worry about someone turning up with a hurley to your door then you probably shouldn't be typing it anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

carfax wrote: »
    lol, but thats kind of my point.....If your name is posted after everything you write you would think twice about writing something litigious, agro or whatever... ... If you have to worry about someone turning up with a hurley to your door then you probably shouldn't be typing it anyway.....

Yeah but Boards.ie would be so boring then. We wouldn't have wonderful characters like Article 43 gracing the site.

If someone does post something with legal ramifications they can be easily tracked through IPs and whatnot - now I'm no sciencetician but I'm sure it's not that hard.

carfax wrote: »
    Well ya see, I like to joke around quite a bit, so my concern would be someone taking it out of context.

Also some people like the anonymity of being able to post without worrying about their co-workers/friends offline/family/etc reading it and knowing who they are, putting their name to it would just discourage this.

I could never put my full name and details to my account here, I've said waaayy too much bad stuff about Scientology and Fianna Fail, I'd certainly be taken out for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

well I know I'm not completely anonymous... but if you were to make everybody shed their personal details, you would have to remove google from having access to B.ie to be safe.... or would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

I agree with rb_ie.

If was not possible to post here without remaining anonymous, I doubt I'd post here at all.

Anonymity is important, it of course can be used for good and bad.
    I believe that it shouldn't be taken away in general.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If anybody really wanted to, they could track me down based on what I post here, but still that would require a lot of effort. So its anonymous enough for me to act the maggot when I feel like it, and I think thats how it should remain. I dont write anything Im going to be arrested for, but still, I dont want to be haunted by it irl.

And how in the hell would you police someones 'real' details anyway? Have them produce a passport on signup?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I post anonymously, and I want it to stay that way.

Well, apart from the bebo link I posted. :o

Nothing here links me to any other real life person. I have nothing to be ashamed about.

Well, apart from the post I made on "shouldn't, but would" thread. But, thankfully, no one will work out who she is and tell her. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 83,214 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm pretty anonymous. googling Overheal either gets you this or World of Warcraft bull****.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got "found out" this morning by a friend I never knew was on here. But really, that's what I get for posting my picture in KYN.

I like a decent level of anonymity; that said, if anyone was to read through all of my posts, I'm sure they'd know me pretty well by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

*hugs anonimity*

Faith wrote: »
    But really, that's what I get for posting my picture in KYN.

/me goes and looks.

EDIT: Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm pretty anonymous. googling Overheal either gets you this or World of Warcraft bull****.
    Anyone with half a brain could look at this post find out my name in about 3 mins. And possibly where I live. Nothing is anonymous.

And what do you mean bull****!!!!!!111111one I WoW! :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

That said I don't go around posting my address either.

when you were in college you had your address as your location!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

I can imagine it now, half the Christianity forum going door to door performing vigils outside A&A posters houses, lobbing bible pages wrapped around stones through the windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Billy the Kid98

Overheal wrote: »

Ahem, myspace!!

Ahem, myspace!!
    Which also has the url for his bebo.

Not so anonymous now, eh Jon?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not so anonymous now, eh Jon?

:D

*wanders off to commit some identity fraud*

when you were in college you had your address as your location!

Fair enough. If anyone was really arsed enought to waybackmachine my profile to 05/06, they'll find out where I used to live.

The treasure hunt starts there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Ahem, myspace!!

Hahaha, nice one.

I think I'm fairly anonymous. Search my user name and you get a bunch of other people on other forums, none of them are me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It hurts my eyes like most bebo pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

My name is Terry and I live in Confey.
    I am now afraid to leave my house because of all the people I have banned.
    Therefore I think everyone should be anonymous.

Advertisement