Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racers in the BMW

Options
  • 08-04-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

It's something I've noticed recently maybe it's been going on for a long time.

But does every second car on the road these days seem to be an oldish BMW with a 17/18yr old kid driving it?

Are boy racers turning to BMW's as they're alot cheaper now?

4/5k for a 98 for example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

Boy racers will drive anything they can get money for. They're probably in a 1.6 ball of sh ite so I wouldn't worry about them doing much.

If you could buy a 911 for 4k and insure it for peanuts, boy racers would drive them too.

I could barely get insured on a 1.2 Fiesta (IR£3,000) when I was 18, I dunno how a lot of lads are doing it these days - insurance seems to be a lot more reasonable for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

MarkN wrote: »
    I could barely get insured on a 1.2 Fiesta (IR£3,000) when I was 18, I dunno how a lot of lads are doing it these days - insurance seems to be a lot more reasonable for them.

after working in a petrol station part time for a few years (when i was 15 to 21), i'd always hear these lads calling each other "red hot bastards", red-hot referring to the fact they either had no insurance or have insurance with completely false details. (17 year old driving a 316 1.9 for example, down as a 30 year old, and saying they live in a nicer area, and park their car in a garage, and it has an alarm and immobiliser, and 10 years no claims, the list goes on... )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

bmw ARE REAR WHEEL DRIVE

youtube drifting:D

thats why you see them in the old AE86 twin cams, the rwd starlets, opel mantas, capris , altezzas, steer from the rear:D:D

bmw are nothing special, dunno why everybody thinks they are great:confused:

they aint particularly fast either

kona wrote: »
    they aint particularly fast either

Slow as fook mate.

BMW_M5_2006_3_9w.jpg

Slow as fook mate.

BMW_M5_2006_3_9w.jpg

i knew sombody would post that as a response, they aint BMW factory spec though are they??? they are tuned by the tuning part of BMW??

but its skangers were talking bout, they wont be driving that M-tec for another 20 years:D

OP is talking about sub 2L 3 series etc, and they are slow:D

• Advertisement

There's still plenty of quick BMWs that are not M cars..

But yes, most boy racers in BMWs are not driving anything too mad but then again, what's 7k these days??

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/evolution/860027/

860027_20080203050251_1.jpg

But yes, most boy racers in BMWs are not driving anything too mad but then again, what's 7k these days??

they are not quick at all, was in one on saturday and was unimpressed, looks fast though, ive a 1.4 and i kept up with one last night:cool: and yes he was caning it:D and had more gears:D

edit: sorry the one i was in defo wasnt one of them, neither was the one last nite! they were both under 2L id guess.

ohhh that car is very tempting!!!

i may have to go "red-hot" though! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Nasty looking car. Why do the nacks insist in putting a rear wing and a front splitter on every heap of sh1t. Just looks so tacky!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I know a lad who is 18 or 19 and has a new M3:eek:
    I have a bike with pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

they are not quick at all, was in one on saturday and was unimpressed, looks fast though, ive a 1.4 and i kept up with one last night:cool: and yes he was caning it:D and had more gears:D

edit: sorry the one i was in defo wasnt one of them, neither was the one last nite! they were both under 2L id guess.

ohhh that car is very tempting!!!

i may have to go "red-hot" though! lol

how cool are you, advertising or insinuating your street racing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Plug wrote: »
    I know a lad who is 18 or 19 and has a new M3:eek:
    I have a bike with pedals.

How can a guy that age afford one of those? Software genius or is daddy a builder? Thing is...where do you go after owning a M3 at 19? A 599GTB by 21? I kinda like the journey of buying somerthing a little bit better every few years...

I read a year or two back that the F1 driver Nico Rosberg's first car was an Audi RS4 and I thought THAT was ridiculous. But his father is an ex-F1 World Champion and mega-millionaire... Things in Ireland have gone mad!

Does anyone think all the hoo-haa about danger on our roads started when insurance went down for young drivers? As MarkN said, even in my early 20s my insurance cost x000s...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

pburns wrote: »
    How can a guy that age afford one of those? Software genius or is daddy a builder? Thing is...where do you go after owning a M3 at 19? A 599GTB by 21? I kinda like the journey of buying somerthing a little bit better every few years...

The parents are millionaires, money no problem.
    A ferrari wouldn't surprise me with him at 21!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's common for boy racers to lie about details to their insurance companies these days, or as someone said previously, not get insured at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah i'm a right oul boy racer in me beeeeemmmmeeerrrrr me.... love the POWAH of my 320.... diesel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Nasty looking car. Why do the nacks insist in putting a rear wing and a front splitter on every heap of sh1t. Just looks so tacky!:rolleyes:

that 'heap of ****e' is an m3 and the rear spoiler was a bmw factory option :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ronnie3585 wrote: »

are you into cars at all?????
    why post on the motor forum if you dont know what an M3 is??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

i knew sombody would post that as a response, they aint BMW factory spec though are they??? they are tuned by the tuning part of BMW??

but its skangers were talking bout, they wont be driving that M-tec for another 20 years:D

OP is talking about sub 2L 3 series etc, and they are slow:D

What the hell are you talking about? 135i,123i, 335i, 335d,330i,330d, 325i, 325d, 530i, 525i, 535i, 535d, 540i, 550i, 630, 645, 650, 635d, 750, 740, All over 200 HP, all factory non m cars.

Older 3 series coupes are still very fast for their age, they chip well, have loads of available after market performance and exterior extras and look nice.

The speed of your car has little to do with it, most over 200 hp cars are more than fast enough to allow the driver to be the limiting factor on our roads. I have a fast enough car but have been beaten by guys in 96 celicas and MK 5 golf gti's because I was not as crazy as them or willing to do such supra legal speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kceire wrote: »
    In the poster's defence, we've both seen more than one 318 coupé looking just like that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how difficult is it to click the carzone link, which i think he did given the front splitter comment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You will find E30's quite popular as the 318is and 325 fitted with a diff are quite fun to drive.

My brother has (had) a lovely 1990 E30 318is until a middle aged man ploughed into him with his Avensis. Electric everything, heated mirrors, mpg needle. Beats driving a golf, corolla (my car), starlet, fiesta etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cyrus wrote: »
    how difficult is it to click the carzone link, which i think he did given the front splitter comment
    I know, I do agree with yourself & kceire, it's just that the car in the pic does look just like a tacky 318 coupé.:)

What the hell are you talking about? 135i,123i, 335i, 335d,330i,330d, 325i, 325d, 530i, 525i, 535i, 535d, 540i, 550i, 630, 645, 650, 635d, 750, 740, All over 200 HP, all factory non m cars.

Older 3 series coupes are still very fast for their age, they chip well, have loads of available after market performance and exterior extras and look nice.

The speed of your car has little to do with it, most over 200 hp cars are more than fast enough to allow the driver to be the limiting factor on our roads. I have a fast enough car but have been beaten by guys in 96 celicas and MK 5 golf gti's because I was not as crazy as them or willing to do such supra legal speeds.

what the hell are you talking about, you either race them or dont, ??? nothing crazy about speed on a long straight, what IS crazy is speed on back roads
    :D:D:D

yes 200bhp................but they weigh a ton, they are not fast in comparison to others such as TypeR etc........

im not insinuating street racing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

what the hell are you talking about, you either race them or dont, ??? nothing crazy about speed on a long straight, what IS crazy is speed on back roads
    :D:D:D

yes 200bhp................but they weigh a ton, they are not fast in comparison to others such as TypeR etc........

im not insinuating street racing:D

It is crazy to speed on straights...easy to loose control under sudden breaking or if the road is slippy. Also you could kill someone, and if the cops catch you at 200+ KPH then you may loose your license.

Spirited Driving is ok, but these older cars doing super high speeds at the limit or the machine, don't have the traction, driver skill, good judgment, or breaks to do this safely anywhere.

I have driven Type R's and the lack or low down torque and the need to rev the bejasus out of it to get the power make a stock type R a pit of a lame duck IMHO.

Power to weight is all that matters, so a 2001 Civic Typr R is 1270 kg and 197 BHP giving 155 BHP per 1000 Kg, while a 1996 m3 ( as above) is 317 BHP and 1535 Kg giving 206 BHP per 1000Kg...and the BMW does not have the same image as the type R.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

If you go to rallys and car meets the reason they drive them u will see there.. They have them for "diffing, drifting, donuts" even ones with out a dif are easy to kick out

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

kceire wrote: »
    Because he like other cars? Not everyone is a beamer head you know. Or did you mean this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Vain wrote: »
    If you go to rallys and car meets the reason they drive them u will see there.. They have them for "diffing, drifting, donuts" even ones with out a dif are easy to kick out

You'd be doing well to get a car moving at all without a diff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You'd be doing well to get a car moving at all without a diff :D

Nice one :D

but we mean lsd of course

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

so taken all this into account is the BMW becoming a bit of a "common" car e.g. every dick/harry is driving one and it's taken away from the "status" that once came with being a BMW driver.

every dick drove a BMW before:p.

yes BHP/TON is important but so is gear ratios:)

low down torque dont matter,if you use your gears:D once that v-tec kicks in:D:D:eek:

baaaaaaaaappppppppp baaaaaaaapppppppppp bapp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

ntlbell wrote: »
    so taken all this into account is the BMW becoming a bit of a "common" car e.g. every dick/harry is driving one and it's taken away from the "status" that once came with being a BMW driver.

I wouldn't say owning an e36 BMW has any "status" associated with it nowadays. I think they are nice cars but its not like they are obscenely expensive or anything. Sure you could get an e36 m3 for 7 grand as pointed out above. Some of the e46s are going for reasonable money nowadays too but they are just good cars not a status symbol. The reason they seem common is that they last well and theres lots of them around now.

I think you'd have to be looking at newish ones for those wanting a status symbol.

Advertisement