Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racers in the BMW

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Nasty looking car. Why do the nacks insist in putting a rear wing and a front splitter on every heap of sh1t. Just looks so tacky!:rolleyes:

I lol'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Any twit can buy an old BMW and stick a m tec body kit on it and think he is awesome! Nothing new there. The 18 year olds I see are driving the bottom of the range 316i, some maybe in a 318i if their parents will pay the additional insurance.
    E36's are the skanger BMW, I see a few of them in e46 models these days.
    Those weird looking e36 316 compact models are the way to go if you just got your provisional these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Brint

kceire wrote: »
    are you into cars at all?????
    why post on the motor forum if you dont know what an M3 is??????
    Maybe he likes cars that aren't common as muck?

I'm actually looking out the window of my office now, and out of the 18 cars parked on 1 side of the road, there are 6 BMWs. How elite...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how many m3s?

anyway they cost as much as a ford focus in the states, no wonder you see loads :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

ntlbell wrote: »
    so taken all this into account is the BMW becoming a bit of a "common" car e.g. every dick/harry is driving one and it's taken away from the "status" that once came with being a BMW driver.
    PaulKK wrote: »
    I wouldn't say owning an e36 BMW has any "status" associated with it nowadays. I think they are nice cars but its not like they are obscenely expensive or anything. Sure you could get an e36 m3 for 7 grand as pointed out above. Some of the e46s are going for reasonable money nowadays too but they are just good cars not a status symbol. The reason they seem common is that they last well and theres lots of them around now.

I think you'd have to be looking at newish ones for those wanting a status symbol.

If I saw someone driving an old M3 I would not associate the normal BMW status with him. However, assuming he did not look like a boy racer I would give him credit and respect for knowing a nice car. M3's are prestigous no matter how old. Old beamers still look cool albeit abit dated. Because some ppl have no fashion sense they have to rely on the latest models of cars to tell what's cool and what's not so cool....they seem to never be able to tell if an older car is nice so they just say that's shi*.....and why you ask them "Oh it's old...sure that's an 96"

The reality is that nowadays most new cars coming out look shi*....primera, BMW 5 series & 7 series....new astra...they have all these stupid design characteristics. It's like as if the motor industry hit a brick wall with design and decided to go with these stupid futuristic designs even though it's not 2050 yet.

Look at all the prestigous marques like ferrari, porsche and aston martin. They have stuck to their guns and not not followed the ridiculous route most car manufactures have spiralled down over the last few years.

Alot of boy racers have not really got a clue though so if I saw one of them driving an M3 I would think
    "If they didn't know someone that knew about cars they would probably be driving a Z3 or a Hyundai Coupe."

The first car is a womans car or for fellas with small dicks.

The second is more of the same except it's from a shi* manufacturer. Fair enough they may be reliable but there from the lower end of the scale and hold no credit with me as a "prestigous sports" car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

mondeo wrote: »
    E36's are the skanger BMW,

really?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/EVO-Individual/948124/

3.2L 321 hp (239 kW)
    0-60 5.5 s

tell you what, you keep your mondeo and i'll be the "skanger" in my e36.

idiotic generalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

quarryman wrote: »
    really?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/EVO-Individual/948124/

3.2L 321 hp (239 kW)
    0-60 5.5 s

tell you what, you keep your mondeo and i'll be the "skanger" in my e36.

idiotic generalisation.
    Impressive specs, and no doubt a good car, but that one is just a bit too bling for my tastes. Loud is a word that comes to mind, and that's with the engine off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

JHMEG wrote: »
    Impressive specs, and no doubt a good car, but that one is just a bit too bling for my tastes. Loud is a word that comes to mind, and that's with the engine off.

well, take your pick, there's plenty of less 'bling' examples out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

mondeo wrote: »
    E36's are the skanger BMW, I see a few of them in e46 models these days.

And the mondeo is the vehicle of choice for a lot of travellers. Are the travellers jealous of the skangers!?

Cop on and don't be so close minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

No matter how old an M3 is once it's standard looking I wouldn't judge anyone driving it as a "skanger".

BMWs are common as muck but decent ones are not. There's a lot of people driving them that bought into a badge, usually someone in a 325+ has not.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    well, take your pick, there's plenty of less 'bling' examples out there.
    And a few that are more:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/evo-321/621767/
    There's no accounting for taste!

er its an estoril blue vert with a hard top

granted the AC Schnitzer rims are an acquired taste

i also dont think the individual vert linked was bling, its totally std, a beautfil and well maintained car too :) owner has just got an e39 m5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Feckin' M3 convertable... got scuttle shake written all over it! Coupe or nothing! You want top down? Get the 328Ci convertable.

Cyrus wrote: »
    er its an estoril blue vert with a hard top
    I don't care if it's a banana split with chocolate on top, those alloys are gansta! Medallions are mandatory for the owner.

The owner is a dealer? Googling for the phone number and he is/was also selling a 318, a Honda CBR, MR2, Corolla...

well they wouldnt be my choice but cost a fortune,

worse on an e46

look at this ACS m3 (8k worth of acs extras) hideous!!

koko.jpg

dd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Cyrus wrote: »

koko.jpg
    OMFG they have distroyed that beautiful e46 M3...thats a crime against humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Just because a young fella is driving a 316i or 318i does not make him a "boy racer", that is one of the 1st glaring and indeed stupid generalizations on this thread. Insurance has finally started to become more reasonable for younger people in Ireland, and if the guy goes out and buys a 10 year old 3 series, fair play. Yes they are more common then before, but so what, I'm sure hes happy and all the people splashing out on a 08 plate thinking they are great got nothing more then a 1.2 corsa and a car with plenty of depreciation ahead of it. Nice. Most of the younger lads (under 21) that have BMWs driver the 318is Mtech sport versions, with leather and a decent 144Bhp engine. They are a great car for their age, and the owners work hard for their money and are fully insured, take great care of the car etc. Don't tar all young drivers with nice cars with the one "boy racer" brush ye all like to use regularly.

I was looking at 318i saloons but I choose my alfa as it was rarer and more car for the money, but each to their own.

Finally, an E36 M3 is one of my future cars all going well. Anyone with the audacity to call them "scummy" can run off in their nissan micra, as they clearly know nothing about cars or performance variants. I like the E36 M3 as it is more subtle then the the newer ones, and as someone said it even looks a lot like a 318i coupe. Only a true enthusiast will notice the larger brakes, the subtle badges or the M3 leather seats.

I agree BMW's are nearly overly popular in Ireland, but that is more people keeping up with the neighbours, buying underpowered 316's for the badge and a new reg plate instead of buying something slightly more interesting with more poke. Each to their own as they say, but less of the silly generalizations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

astraboy wrote: »
    I agree BMW's are nearly overly popular in Ireland, but that is more people keeping up with the neighbours, buying underpowered 316's for the badge and a new reg plate instead of buying something slightly more interesting with more poke. Each to their own as they say, but less of the silly generalizations.

Ya paying premium for a underpowered 316 is bit of a waste. What do you buy a BMW for really? Why not an older BMW but more powerful?

The only reason for it really is having the 08 plate isn't it? Or perhaps it's because if it's not new "how will I know it's stylish and I'm not out of date?"
    So if you buy a car for the plate that's underpowered it says an awful lot about you really doesn't it?

It's the same for all cars....given a budget an enthusiast will always go for more "car" than year.

So your just a plank really then driving around in your new overpriced underpowered Beamer. :D and all the guys drivin' round in their 10 year old M3's will leave you for dust by any measure.

Ya paying premium for a underpowered 316 is bit of a waste. What do you buy a BMW for really? Why not an older BMW but more powerful?

The only reason for it really is having the 08 plate isn't it? Or perhaps it's because if it's not new "how will I know it's stylish and I'm not out of date?"
    So if you buy a car for the plate that's underpowered it says an awful lot about you really doesn't it?

It's the same for all cars....given a budget an enthusiast will always go for more "car" than year.

So your just a plank really then driving around in your new overpriced underpowered Beamer. :D and all the guys drivin' round in their 10 year old M3's will leave you for dust by any measure.

Exaclty, a 08 318 or a 96 M3? No contest for me. Screw what the neighbours think, judging a car on its reg plates is silly, even second hand I judge by condition, not age. I know of guys driving old AE-86 Twin cam corollas older then they are and they are in great condition! Anyway, the newer lower spec BMW's look tacky, tiny undersized wheels and an over styled body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I know of guys driving old AE-86 Twin cam corollas older then they are and they are in great condition!

Great condition but for how long is the question?? Doing doughnuts in tesco's carpark will do wonders for the car :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Great condition but for how long is the question?? Doing doughnuts in tesco's carpark will do wonders for the car :rolleyes:

Even after all the abuse they have taken, many are still going strong. Yes, the twin cam is the stereotypical messers car, and personally I think they are over rated but you have to admire the sheer longevity of the cars! Granted many have been looked after well(bar the donuts!) and many have seen bodywork and resprays over the years, nevertheless it shows how much you car get out of cars with a bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Even after all the abuse they have taken, many are still going strong. Yes, the twin cam is the stereotypical messers car, and personally I think they are over rated but you have to admire the sheer longevity of the cars! Granted many have been looked after well(bar the donuts!) and many have seen bodywork and resprays over the years, nevertheless it shows how much you car get out of cars with a bit of effort.

Don't get me wrong i think their a nice car, but overpriced to say the least. Anyhow i like old beamers 89 boxy models ,but can't move from the japs for pure durability and reliability they win hands down.

Anyhow there is way to many 'halfordised' beamers floating around dublin :pac:

Don't get me wrong i think their a nice car, but overpriced to say the least. Anyhow i like old beamers 89 boxy models ,but can't move from the japs for pure durability and reliability they win hands down.

Anyhow there is way to many 'halfordised' beamers floating around dublin :pac:

Agree, 9-11K for a 1.6 Corolla older then me! No thanks. I'm a huge fan of the e30 BMW's especially the 325i sport model, I think with alpina wheels these cars are pure old school perfection! Overbodykitted and tacky cars are always bad no matter what the make, unfortunately some people don't know that modifying requires some taste and a bit of subtlety!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Each to their own as they say, but less of the silly generalizations.
    Anyone with the audacity to call them "scummy" can run off in their nissan micra, as they clearly know nothing about cars or performance variants.

Oh the ironing.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

bmw's are favourable by kids atthat age as there a common company car... hence the cheaper insureance... but meh , half of them would be outdriven by a granny in a saxo.

but still bmww's arent a cheap car but bygod there more powerful then anything liek them.... you should take prof. performance driving lessons before driving one propperly

as for halfordised , i agree , burn em to the ground imo , and for the AE85-AE86 debate... there a modern classic so there bound to have high value.

E30 is a beast though... seen a EVO II coomming off the car boats in dublin port the other day...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Isn't insurance null and void if the insurance company finds out that the car has been 'modified' in any way :confused: Perfect example the quintessential skangermobile the Starlet GT with blacked out windows, alloys, halfords exhaust etc etc. Take the reg and phone it in to the motor insurance federation and say you have 'concerns' over the car in question ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

lol not a bad idea , i know a guy or two who could need there concerning car checked out ! :)

Advertisement