Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ion Dialogue - What does it really mean to us?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

I have posted the translation of the ION dialogue in another thread - I will copy it over here when I get a chance.

This thread is dedicated to discussing the ION dialogue - and what exactly it means to each of us as an individual.

I will refrain from all joking and stupidity in this thread - as I feel it is very important and should not be taken too lightly by those who wish to study some of Plato's writings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Article43

Here it is - please read it carefully and reply with your thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Article43

Socrates. Welcome, Ion. Are you from your native city of Ephesus?
    Ion. No, Socrates; but from Epidaurus, where I attended the festival of
    Asclepius.
    Soc. And do the Epidaurians have contests of rhapsodes at the festival?
    Ion. O yes; and of all sorts of musical performers.
    Soc. And were you one of the competitors- and did you succeed?
    Ion. I obtained the first prize of all, Socrates.
    Soc. Well done; and I hope that you will do the same for us at the Panathenaea.
    Ion. And I will, please heaven.

Ion is a rhapsode who has performed extremely well for the public - and he knows (believes) this to be true!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement