Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving .ie Domain

Options
  • 08-04-2008 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Really quick question...

I'm currently re-designing a site for a friend, but his .ie domain is with a company that's costing him a fortune. they're hosting the webspace also.

I want to move his domain and hosting to another company thats more reasonable.

What should I do? - wait for the domain to expire and then move it? does he have the right to just move it to another service mid-contract (seeing as you RENT a .ie!) who owns the .ie property? - the client or the company who set it up?

I just want to know legally where he stands before contacting anyone!

Thanks in adance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Sorry - I've moved this thread to web hosting... my mistake!

EDIT - I can't post there so here it must stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The domain "belongs" to the registrant, so it should belong to your friend / client.

They are entitled to move the domain's hosting (DNS / nameservers) whenever they want. If the host does not want to assist the IEDR (http://www.iedr.ie) can do it for them

blacknight wrote: »
    The domain "belongs" to the registrant, so it should belong to your friend / client.

They are entitled to move the domain's hosting (DNS / nameservers) whenever they want. If the host does not want to assist the IEDR (http://www.iedr.ie) can do it for them

Does the client simply call up and ask them to *transfer* the domain to another service or how do it work?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Contact the company he wishes to transfer the domain to , or submit a transfer request via their website , follow this up with a signed fax from your friend authorising the transfer.

Job done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can do as Sposs says or simply get the dns updated. If they make the change based on a simple phone call I would worry :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies - appreciate the help

Advertisement