Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL offers 16meg service! Cap?!

Options
  • 08-04-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I;m with BT for over three yeasr now on a 3meg connection. They say that my area (Clonee) is getting a speed boost to 6meg (that was at Christmas) so I'm tired waiting!

I got a flyer today that NTL are offering a 16meg service now!!

Anyone know if they enforce their caps?! the site says 120gb! (Is this per month?!!) It's very generous to be sure. I just wanted to see if people are happy with them as current customers.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I was unaware that ntl had a 16mb connection going but if its like their other connections you should get 10gb per mb/s so 160GB would be my guess the 120GB is for the 12mb service. And yes its a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

hmm there was talk of them offering higher then 12 "soon" (think it was on ENN) more in line with whats available in europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

12mb launched last week 16mb wasnt meant to be due until xmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sticker wrote: »
    Hey all,

I;m with BT for over three yeasr now on a 3meg connection. They say that my area (Clonee) is getting a speed boost to 6meg (that was at Christmas) so I'm tired waiting!

I got a flyer today that NTL are offering a 16meg service now!!

Anyone know if they enforce their caps?! the site says 120gb! (Is this per month?!!) It's very generous to be sure. I just wanted to see if people are happy with them as current customers.

Thanks in advance.

How much they asking for it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

*hung head* Sorry all, RoyalMarineComm is quite right, it's a 12meg service - I got it wrong!

I just wanted to know if a NTL are enforcing their caps on their other general isp services.

BT told me they were rolling out their 8 meg service in Clonee *any time*. Anyone have it yet?! I've a good phone package with them and would happily stay with them if the 8 meg connection arrived soon :)

Sorry again for the confusion :o

FROM BT site: 8 meg availablility
    Blanchardstown exchange available from w/c 10th December:
    Dublin 15 areas, Blanchardstown, Mulhuddart, Coolmine, Huntstown, Clonsilla, Carpenterstown, parts of Castleknock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

They have only really been enforcing their caps when people really abuse the connection, with a 120GB cap is surely enough for most people though ?? I would imagine very few people will go over it. Now that the caps are reasonable though, I can easily see them starting to enforce the caps.

Then its high time they provided a way to view your usage.

Even if you tried with all your devices to record your usage you'd never get it right, esp since ntl will likely include the overheads to get the data to you.

Solyad wrote: »
    Then its high time they provided a way to view your usage.

Even if you tried with all your devices to record your usage you'd never get it right, esp since ntl will likely include the overheads to get the data to you.

They don't have an online cap meter? thats a little scary! how can they enforce a cap rule then if they don't allow users see their usage?!

I would think there's plenty of comeback if you tripped over the cap and they didn't have the facility for you to track it...

That said, 120gb is a good healthy cap - remember the days of an 8gig cap from €ircom!

NTL dont care in the slightest that you cant track your usage...

Its grand and healthy cap surely but its your traffic both ways plus you cant tell what the overheads were to deliver the data to you.. Ive read figures of 25%

You could err on the side of caution and reckon youve about 90-95 gig usable but gets too hard to track with multiple pcs and laptops, consoles etc.

Solyad wrote: »
    NTL dont care in the slightest that you cant track your usage...

Its grand and healthy cap surely but its your traffic both ways plus you cant tell what the overheads were to deliver the data to you.. Ive read figures of 25%

You could err on the side of caution and reckon youve about 90-95 gig usable but gets too hard to track with multiple pcs and laptops, consoles etc.

True enough - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Well you could do it via your router.

Personally, I'd be happy to judge the limit by my router, and if they tried to charge me for more I would use that as my argument.

I think the common experience for nearly all providers seems to be that only people with massive abuse of their cap (doubling or tripling it) get in trouble with their ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 wandering monk

Does anyone have any idea how much information is transferred when using PS3 or Xbox 360 through the internet connection? Would it be much?

Well you could do it via your router.

Personally, I'd be happy to judge the limit by my router, and if they tried to charge me for more I would use that as my argument.

I think the common experience for nearly all providers seems to be that only people with massive abuse of their cap (doubling or tripling it) get in trouble with their ISP.

I would guess that the majority of people do not have routers that can track usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

ntl operate a "Fair Usage Policy" that means that high usage is just whatever is deemed to be higher then the norm.

For companies that operate on a fair usage policy its even something when they tell you how much you can download before they cut you off which ntl do.

I have never come across any one who has been cut off or got a letter (unless it was a mistake) for going 1 or 2 gig over which means they are dealing with it on a per account basis and only targeting the extreme users.

In a nutshell ntl wont have to introduce a monitoring system until the get strict to the KB on there usage policies.

People who know and are internet friendly enough to know they might be close to breaking there cap also have a fair idea how to keep an eye on it.

Does anyone have any idea how much information is transferred when using PS3 or Xbox 360 through the internet connection? Would it be much?

very very very little.

if you played your xbox all day every day and night for the entire month you would be very lucky to come close to 40 gb.
    but if your downloading demo's on the xbox etc then that will add quite a bit.

120gb will easily see you out for the whole month. you wont come close unless your using p2p download software and running it constant day and night with speeds of 100 - 200kb/s all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I know the speed increase is May/June for existing customers. But does anyone know if or when the increased download cap comes into effect?

Quick questions again guys - for those of you already using NTL...

I've my main PC rig in a converted attic, my main NTL point in in the sitting room on the ground floor, with a second in the master bedroom on the 1st floor.

Does NTL use wireless technology?! If so, will the speeds decrease if I have to use the wireless capability?!

Thanks!

Quick questions again guys - for those of you already using NTL...

I've my main PC rig in a converted attic, my main NTL point in in the sitting room on the ground floor, with a second in the master bedroom on the 1st floor.

Does NTL use wireless technology?! If so, will the speeds decrease if I have to use the wireless capability?!

Thanks!

you can use a wireless router. just plug the ntl modem into the router. then the router into your pc. for the pc in the attic, install a cheap wireless card in it.
    it will pick up on the router.

or buy a very long ethernet cable. id say about 1euro per meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Wireless works at about 54mb/s, so it wont slow it down :) Walls etc, can cause signal problems in certain cases. Cables are the best, but are inconvenient at times.

Thanks for the replies guys -

NTL Sales say the engineer SHOULD run a cable into the attic - same as if another TV point was requested (no cost incurred)

Saying that, the crew that installed the new attic (non-NTL obviously!) put a TV point into the room - would this not carry the signal?!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys -

NTL Sales say the engineer SHOULD run a cable into the attic - same as if another TV point was requested (no cost incurred)

Saying that, the crew that installed the new attic (non-NTL obviously!) put a TV point into the room - would this not carry the signal?!

If they used good enough quality material then yes it should be able to work as a point for you BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

I was thinking of getting NTL, and I have their analogue tv but we have the tv running into nearly every room in the house when we're not actually meant to. If the engineer spotted this could we be in toruble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

# Download 24 Mbps
    # Upload 2,5 Mbp

With UPC in Amsterdam :)

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

barnesd wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting NTL, and I have their analogue tv but we have the tv running into nearly every room in the house when we're not actually meant to. If the engineer spotted this could we be in toruble?

I'd say it would depend on the engineer that comes out to you...

Saying that, I would think about locking doors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

barnesd wrote: »

Just disconnect anything that shouldn't be connected before he comes. He'll only be there for about five minutes. They only connect a box to your existing connection and then they tune in the television. He'll probably be Polish in any case and won't care what you have connected.

Advertisement