Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarmsland Park!!!

Options
  • 08-04-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

*** Raising the alarm ***

I don't want to alarm anyone but it's alarming how many alarms go off in this area, it really has sent alarm bells ringing in my mind as to why all these alarms are always going off and they always seem to be false alarms. Can we please put an end to this alarmingly annoying occurance?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

:o It was me on thursday! I was given a wrong code by the estate agent!! Went off for ages. Its so annoying i do agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

*** Raising the alarm ***

I don't want to alarm anyone but it's alarming how many alarms go off in this area, it really has sent alarm bells ringing in my mind as to why all these alarms are always going off and they always seem to be false alarms. Can we please put an end to this alarmingly annoying occurance?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Totally.. totally.. totally agree...
    Many moons ago, when a alarm went off people use to look and see what the story was, nowadays its like.. "For f**ks sakes not again...."

Why don't these owners understand that leaving there window open only a wee bit so as the curtain can move in the slightest wind set these annoying alarms off... surely to god they know when they go home that the alarm had been set off during the day..??

Besides these days, if a thief wants something in your house that is so valuble then they'll will take regardless of any alarm...(lets face it your neighbour are probable pi$$ed off with your alarm going off all the time that they'll ignore it)
    Reminds off the guy that cried wolf all the time....

Anywho.. A friend of mine has set up his own company called...
    "Silence makers"... proper job so it is.. has all the tools... yeah a ladder and a 5lb lump hammer...!!!:)

All joking aside though.. it would be nice to wake up to my own alarm clock instead of these annoying devices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 decokiernan

Superquinn are the biggest culprits in the area. Regular event at the weekends.

I feel a petition coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Totally agree as well. I work from home a couple of days a week (or try to :() and all the alarms going off are soooooo annoying. You're right too, the more they go off the more people ignore them so they're pretty useless unless they're monitored in which case they don't have external bells anyway (hint, hint!). Could people please get their alarms serviced if they're always going off and maybe see if the volume can be reduced too, your neighbours 5 streets away really don't need to hear it as well.

OK, rant (induced by alarm going off outside my window as I type) over - for now!!!!

We have a particular culprit in the apartments. The owner currently has their apartment for sale and lives in France.

The apartment has an alarm set and regularly goes off on a friday night and no one comes to turn it off until monday morning. So no one gets any sleep for a whole weekend.

This has happened three times now.

To be honest, why the hell does anyone have an alarm on an apartment!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

To be honest, why the hell does anyone have an alarm on an apartment!!!

We had our apartment alarmed, but it was one of the ones under a duplex, so it had a good few doors and windows at ground level.

Eoin, thats fair enough I would do the same.

This is a 3 floor apartment with access only via hall door but more to the point, the owner has left no instructions for anyone in the event that the apartment is burgled.

The only way it gets reset is when we call up the Estate Agent selling it to complain.

It seems pretty pointless to have an alarm on an apartment where no one is going inform the owner of a potential break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is a 3 floor apartment with access only via hall door but more to the point, the owner has left no instructions for anyone in the event that the apartment is burgled.

The only way it gets reset is when we call up the Estate Agent selling it to complain.

I don't think I've ever seen an apartment in a block being alarmed, that's way OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

In the event of an alarm going off continuously, you could contact the management company in the first instance.

The management company have denied any responsibility for owners alarms and say its a personal choice.

The Garda have no interest in an alarm that is not connected to the station.

Its just plain inconsiderate. We also have a sneaky suspicion that one of the cars whose alarm goes off regularly in the carpark belongs to this person as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Couldn't we just get a buddy system going or something?

So say if you neighbour's alarm is going off its your job to check it out if your home and to turn it off. And vice-versa.

I know a lack of trust between ourselves might discourage this from happening but what else can we do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

glenjamin wrote: »
    Couldn't we just get a buddy system going or something?

So say if you neighbour's alarm is going off its your job to check it out if your home and to turn it off. And vice-versa.

I know a lack of trust between ourselves might discourage this from happening but what else can we do?

I'm sure you mean well, but thats why I pay for a monitored system so, being brutally honest, I would have no interest in providing a service myself for nothing !

I wholeheartedly agree with previous comments - they are a nuisance, and I see no point in having an alarm any more unless its monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Maisy wrote: »
    I'm sure you mean well, but thats why I pay for a monitored system so, being brutally honest, I would have no interest in providing a service myself for nothing !

I wholeheartedly agree with previous comments - they are a nuisance, and I see no point in having an alarm any more unless its monitored.

1 - you get cheaper insurance.
    2 - in a row of houses where all but one has an alarm, which one do you think a burglar is going to try first?

a properly configured alarm should stop sounding after a set time and shouldn't start up again. unfortunately it seems a lot of them are put in by cowboys.

Whats the point in an alarm going off if you are on vacation or at work?

It serves no purpose other than to annoy everyone and screams 'ignore my house its only a fault, not a real burguraly honest'.

If you don't want to be the odd one out on a street, then put up a dummy siren.

Incidentally there are a good deal of houses with no alarms in C'Land, so the odds are low you would be the one getting robbed.

There is safety in numbers.

Anyway to sum up this thread... The more your alarm goes off the less likely it is that anyone will care.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

It's not all house alarms. It's car alarms too. I was walking the other evening and an alarm on a parked motorbike acros the road just went off for no apparent reason. There was nobody near it, nothing bumped into it or brushed by it, and there was no gust of wind or anything like that. Just started blaring away. Pure noise pollution.

Thanks dk, thats the point I was trying to make, obviously not too clearly. I'm aware of the benefits of having an alarm per se. However, an alarm going off is regarded now as simply noise pollution and defeats its original purpose.

I'm much happier knowing that, even when nobody on the street will pay attn, the monitoring company will definitely pay attn to my alarm going off and will do something about it.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

1 - you get cheaper insurance.
    Yes, but the policy is null and void if you avail of the discount and you did not have the alarm set when you are broken into! Hardly worth the discount then.
    Yes, they can check to see if the alarm was set! The money sved is very small compared to the price of the monitoring fee anyway.
    2 - in a row of houses where all but one has an alarm, which one do you think a burglar is going to try first?
    That is a fair point, I agree 100%

BTW there is no way of tell if it is connected to a monitoring station or not from the outside.
    a properly configured alarm should stop sounding after a set time and shouldn't start up again.

Yes, the regulation is 15 minutes. But then it can rearm and go off another 5 times for 15 minutes (assuming that the regulations have been obeyed).
    unfortunately it seems a lot of them are put in by cowboys.

I used to install them!! but you are quite right. There is no qualification required to fit alarms in Ireland. By law you just have join the NSAI (or similar) and then the PSA (who will get the Gardai to do a background check). There is no official qualification required to join either, so standards can often be pretty poor (but not always)!!

My advice is get an alarm installed that rings you and sevral other people that live close by (no monitoring fee). Respond if the alarm goes off. If you have false alarms get it sorted asap. Modern alarms can be very reliable if installed correctly and serviced.

A faulty alarm is a complete waste!

"BTW there is no way of tell if it is connected to a monitoring station or not from the outside."

Mine has Eircom Phonewatch stamped quite visibly on the "box" which I think speaks for itself.

There is no shrieking alarm as its all via the phoneline and mine being wirefree, it can be turned off remotely.

Re the sytem that phones keyholders, been there, and I found it disastrous.
    The system I had would phone the numbers only a set no of times before it gave up, but maybe that was just my system. Nine times out of ten people would be at work (as I was) or unable to call to the house for one reason or another.

True you need to provide keyholders for Phonewatch but , if they are unable to call to the house, you can advise the operator of an alternative arrangement/number. Your system is registered with the local gardai.

I don't claim to know much about alarms and each to their own, but having tried alarm only and the above, I find the Eircom Phonewatch fantastic and well worth the money - for me its all relative, safety over dosh. You are absolutely guaranteed that the house will be checked one way or another etc, not to mention panic button facility that, if hit, is guaranteed to generate an emergency services call. (Bit like Dougals red button that one !)

A friend of mine is a locksmith and he advised me that in his experience, the more difficult a house is to break into, the more likely it is to be by-passed. After all, we are not talking Pink Panther sytles swoops, but quick hit and runs in the main. So, Maisy has a yale lock on the front door, a bolt on the bottom of the back door and the alarm system - Fort Knox lol

My original point was that with alarms now just a form of white noise, the only way forward is any sort of dial up/monitored noise free system.;)

And no, I don't work for Eircom !

Mine has Eircom Phonewatch stamped quite visibly on the "box" which I think speaks for itself.
    This does not indicate that the alarm is monitored. You can have anything at all written on the box in fact and it means nothing. Many people put up dummy bell boxes (some with Eircom Phonewatch written on them!!)

The most important thing with a bellbox is that it is works! The one that work as the best deterrent are the real ones. They are easy to spot as they have LEDs on them. There is more chance that they are connected to a real and working alarm system.
    it can be turned off remotely.
    This is only of use if you have false alarms. It is a standard feature on most alarm systems. An alarm system that works properly will have no use for this.
    Your system is registered with the local gardai.
    The Gardai will only turn up if and when a keyholder is present. If a keyholder can not make it the Gardai will not turn up. This information can be found in the Garda policy on monitored alarm systems on Eircom PhoneWatch's website.
    You are absolutely guaranteed that the house will be checked one way or another etc
    No you are not. Read the Garda policy!
    A friend of mine is a locksmith and he advised me that in his experience, the more difficult a house is to break into, the more likely it is to be by-passed. After all, we are not talking Pink Panther sytles swoops, but quick hit and runs in the main. So, Maisy has a yale lock on the front door, a bolt on the bottom of the back door and the alarm system - Fort Knox lol
    It sounds to me like your friend is offering good advice.
    My original point was that with alarms now just a form of white noise, the only way forward is any sort of dial up/monitored noise free system.
    I agree that many alarms are now just a form of white noise. I also agree that they should be monitored by ring out either to a monitoring station or to individuals.

My point is that the issue is how reliable they are. If installed correctly and serviced once in a while modern alarms are very very reliable. Connecting to a monitoring station does not have any impact on reliability at all.

I'll address the points as outlined in the previous post - but I think we may be at cross purposes here ie hardware reliability versus reliablity of intended purpose

a/A genuine system will be a deterrent - if someone is checking out the fakes from the genuine, its a fairly safe bet it will be the fakers they will target (fake system somehow defeats the logic)

b/a-gain, a working bell is no longer a deterrent as it will be ignored - my system works WITHOUT and with NO NEED for a bell - so I am not dependent on a bell that noone will pay attn to.

c/ surely you would only turn off the system remotely in the event of a false alarm ????
    But, it would seem the remote facility is a well kept secret judging by the number of alarms that rearm to go on and on

d/ Lordy me, naturally I read the small print and informed myself on how it all works (I dont appreciate being preached at. I moved out of home at 18, no other reason other than I wanted my own place, how HAVE I managed since then !!!????). I am well aware that the gardai won't show if a keyholder isn't present (quite right too) - my point was that, should you not be able to get hold of a named keyholder, then via your password and the operator, you can make an alternative arrangement. Either way, you will be able to have someone check it out

e/"My point is that the issue is how reliable they are. If installed correctly and serviced once in a while modern alarms are very very reliable. Connecting to a monitoring station does not have any impact on reliability at all."

Then obviously there are a number of incorrectly installed systems about. This leads on to my point, incorrectly installed = incessant ringing = ignored=unreliable because it will be ignored.

Monitoring = well, monitored !!!!!! the system was quality checked on installation, is serviced and I check it once a week (takes nanoseconds) - its in 18 months and I have to find a problem yet. But if I do, I won't have a problem getting an engineer.

As per comment on incorrect installation, maybe more folks should do the same.

• Advertisement

I don't claim to know much about alarms
    This is clear from what you some of the things you have said so I offered you some free advice. I happened to know quite a bit about alarms.

PM me an email address and I will send you an interesting letter from the ASAI (on headed paper) about your Eircom system that you amy be interested in. They are a independent body, with no axe to grind.
    it would seem the remote facility is a well kept secret judging by the number of alarms that rearm to go on and on
    I think you have missed the point here. When alarms go on and on generally the people that own those houses are unaware that the alarms have activated. Often this is because they are not at home and the alarm is not connected to a phone line. Other times they have stopped paying for the monitoring service. If an intruder is in the house it is a good idea to let the alarm keep going off. Generally people have no way of knowing if it is a false alarm or not, unless they are present. In which case they do not need to turn it off remotley!
    naturally I read the small print and informed myself on how it all works
    Fair play, most people dont!
    This leads on to my point, incorrectly installed = incessant ringing = ignored=unreliable because it will be ignored.
    I agree, my point also!

BTW Maisy, I was not trying to annoy you! I agree with alot of what you are saying.

Poor, female, alarm ignorant pleb that I am, I cant see how an alarm bell is of any use when no one will pay it attn ( sense of deja vu coming on).

You mentioned several times that you know about alarms previously, - thanks for the free and unsolicited advice. However, I am well able to look after myself and more than happy with Eircom. You don't appear to be a fan yourself for whatever reason.

Now, I'm bored to death with this and off to do something far more interesting, ...... like watch the paint on my kitchen walls dry.

I cant see how an alarm bell is of any use when no one will pay it attn
    Same point again, we agree on this.
    However, I am well able to look after myself and more than happy with Eircom.
    I am happy for you.
    You don't appear to be a fan yourself for whatever reason.
    If you mean that an understanding of how intruder alarm systems operate and how they can be interfered with by intruders made me develop a preference for some installation techniques over others, then no.

I think I have touched a nerve, sorry :(

Nerve endings remain intact , you may know everything about alarms ( and then some ) but please don't assume to know anything about myself.

I dont like being preached at, pontificated over and patronized for offering my opinion - simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Have to say, I'm starting to go off this forum thing as it seams no matter what is discussed, someone gets the hump and gives out..

We were talking about alarms going off all the time...
    Instead of giving advice or becoming a humpy hole, lets try and do something constructive like letting the owner of the alarm know its gone off either by a knock on the door or a simple note through the door...

I've lived here for 2 long poxie years that i have heard a house alarm everyday of that... this morning included (4am)

Too be honest, i wouldn't think twice of distroying an alarm, regardless of what the gaurds would say about it..
    I'd probably get a better nights sleep in mountjoy instead of this estate of electrical nightmare...

Rant over....

Maisy, Hows the painting coming on...?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Maisy wrote: »

That's a real friendly neighbourily attitude there.

Anyway, my neighbours have a spare key and my alarm code. My alarm has gone off twice in three years due to stormy weather. They turn the alarm off and then call to say that the alarm is off.

i really think it is a shame that no-body knows their neighbours anymore. Mine are brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

irishbird wrote: »
    That's a real friendly neighbourily attitude there.

Anyway, my neighbours have a spare key and my alarm code. My alarm has gone off twice in three years due to stormy weather. They turn the alarm off and then call to say that the alarm is off.

i really think it is a shame that no-body knows their neighbours anymore. Mine are brilliant

We do the same with our neighbours :) Also great for holidays as they we move each other post from doorway etc Thank god for good neighbours :D

Well, at least I am neigbourly enough not to be reduced to name calling and sarcasm.

My neighbours all have a monitored system. But no, I wouldn't want the responsibility. Hat off to anyone who is happy to take it on.

I may not reach the zenith of neighbourliness that is keyholding - however I have my uses.
    I had a hand in calling the brigade when there was a fire on the Zapi land, I was onto Ballymore about the travellers, I gave a statement when a premises opposite me was broken into, I've given my neighbours a lift to the station when they were stuck at the last minute, watered my neighbours garden several evenings per week and removed the post, when they were on holidays, dropped a wedding present around. O and as I work a bit from home, I regularly take in parcels that would otherwise be returned and cause a nuisance being retrieved....... does all that count as a "real friendly neighbourly attitude" or perhaps not good neighbourly enough ??????? If I think of anymore I'll let you know.

But feel free to pull me up before I enter Neighbour of the Year won't you, since I seem to be missing the required standard at present.

Trust me, I too am thankful for the lovely neighbours I have, after this.

My understanding is that this is a discussion forum and not a popularity contest - if my opinion goes against the grain well, so be it, I won't be losing any sleep over it. And if the best people can come back with is sarcasm etc thats their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Maisy, It was never my intention to offend you personally, I was just making a general statement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Daveco, please read the charter, in particular references to personal abuse.

You won't get a second warning.

Thread locked. Veered way off topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement