Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a quick question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

KoKane wrote: »
    If anyone knows, will the announced increase of speeds by Eircom, to allready subscribing customers, aswell as new, effect other ISPs?

http://home.eircom.net/about/press/2008/January/12107837?view=Standard&main=yes

I mean will people on BT like me be likely to see this?
    Or do you think it will differ between each ISP or not at all?

The folks on bitstream will get it automaticaly, if you are on LLU then it will depend on the ISP, but most of them are on faster speeds already.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Assuming line good enough, close enough to exchange etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

So its not as sweet an offer as it looks and it WONT affect the majority of people?

I'm on a 3mb home package for IOLBT. Is there any way for me to find out if I'm on an LLU line? Apart from ringing them. Not that thats a problem lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

KoKane wrote: »
    So its not as sweet an offer as it looks and it WONT affect the majority of people?

I'm on a 3mb home package for IOLBT. Is there any way for me to find out if I'm on an LLU line? Apart from ringing them. Not that thats a problem lol

The fact that you're on 3meg answers the question that you are not on an unbundled line, If you were on an unbundled line you would be on 8Meg already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The fact that you're on 3meg answers the question that you are not on an unbundled line, If you were on an unbundled line you would be on 8Meg already.

Not necessarily true. BT have only upgraded a handfull of their unbundled exchanges to 8meg. They have 50something in total and only about 14 done so far. There are still alot of unbundled customers that can't get it.
    You're right about the op's situation though. It's very unlikely he'd be on an unbundled line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. BT have only upgraded a handfull of their unbundled exchanges to 8meg. They have 50something in total and only about 14 done so far. There are still alot of unbundled customers that can't get it.
    You're right about the op's situation though. It's very unlikely he'd be on an unbundled line.

You're technically correct (the best type of correct:) ) As fair as I'm aware though there was very few BT LLU customers up to their recent push with their 8Meg LLU product, they had equipment in the exchanges but they pretty much abandoned advertising it because of how difficult Eircom made it. So generally now most of the people on LLU lines are on 8 Meg or have the ability to receive it depending on line quality etc.

Some Smart LLU folks are on 3Mbps because that's as much as the line will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

So I could switch to Eircom broadband to pay the price I'm paying now, but get more than double my speed ?

You don't need to switch to eircom.

Advertisement