Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Gaming Problems?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭

Ive played counterstrike before on wireless broadband yet when i switched to eircom it wouldnt work, i dont think i need any updates as steam has still been running. In a thread in the counterstrike section people recommended i delete the blobby file and verify game cache through steam, both of these i have done, could it be a problem with eircom? also my portable version of halo wont work when connecting to servers which is the same thing that happens with counterstrike source, any help would be greatly appreciated ;);)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

does it work if you dont use wireless?

plug your laptop/computer into the router using an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I meant i used to have satellite broadband that it wouldnt work on, im on eircom now and ethernet cable is hooked up to my desktop which i have css on, sorry didnt make that clear at start :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

curry-muff wrote: »
    I meant i used to have satellite broadband that it wouldnt work on, im on eircom now and ethernet cable is hooked up to my desktop which i have css on, sorry didnt make that clear at start :rolleyes:

I think you have just confused everyone. Whats satellite broadband have to do with your current problem?

You need to go into more detail about what problem you have because we are not mind readers. What package are you on etc. You have confused everyone with talk of wireless, satellite and Eircom.

I used to have satellite broadband, which counterstrike worked grand on, since switching to eircom it hasnt worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I used to have satellite broadband, which counterstrike worked grand on, since switching to eircom it hasnt worked

But what about the latency involved with satellite?
    700/800ms average round time trip would ruin a game.

• Advertisement

Yea it was really bad at times but at least it worked, it wont work at all now, same problem of not being able to retrieve servers from master server, and in halo cannot connect to servers even after finding ones

• Registered Users Posts: 40 wandering monk

Some things such as assigning a static IP address to your console or activating the uPnP through your router may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what do you mean by "it doesn't work" do you get disconnected, or can you never connect?

What router do you have from Eircom?

I can never connect to servers in either halo or counterstrike, halo displays servers but i cant connect, counterstrike doesnt even display servers uPnP is enabled already, how do i set a static ip? its a neotopia 2247 router

No ideas?

• Advertisement

Pleeeeeeeeeease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Unwelcome

I can never connect to servers in either halo or counterstrike, halo displays servers but i cant connect, counterstrike doesnt even display servers uPnP is enabled already, how do i set a static ip? its a neotopia 2247 router

I heard something that routers firewall blocks CS.. so you should allow it threw that firewall.... don't know if it works really, but one my friend got something like that... take a try.. ;) it is somewhere in netopia's settings should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

While you're in your router settings and if it has the settings, make you you enable it to accept incoming fragmented UDP packets, which some games like CS rely upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

disable SPI (stateful Packet Inspection) and/or enable 'gaming' mode or similar in the configurations.

Also, make sure youare not running any software firewall (Windows, McAffee, Norton etc)

Yeah i dont have any antivirus programmes on my computer, and i cant find which section of router settings that i change to allow for packets to come through, do i need to add another nat service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Yeah i dont have any antivirus programmes on my computer, and i cant find which section of router settings that i change to allow for packets to come through, do i need to add another nat service?

its known as a pinhole service on the netopias, guide here

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247-02/Echolink.htm

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

JNive wrote: »
    Also, make sure youare not running any software firewall (Windows, McAffee, Norton etc)

No antivirus & no firewall, thats not wise :eek:
    I'll give it a few minutes before its on fire with malware

Haha na ive deleted mc afee and norton etc but ive recently been using avast to scan but i dont run it all the time

Shinzon it wouldnt seem to work for me, it jus stopped allowing me to connect to internet, im guessing thats the fault of my primary and secondary dns, though the guide said i should find the real ones on router homepage, theyre the ones i used and it still wont seem to work

Advertisement