Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need thermal paste?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got a boxed intel CPU, I was under the impression that since the boxed CPU came with a fan that the fan would be attached (silly now that I look at it, would be a balls to fit the cpu on the mobo if the fan was attached).

So I am wondering if I need to get some thermal paste to fit between the cpu and the fan? there is no mention in the intel booklet instructions to apply thermal paste but I have always seen build guides saying you need thermal paste.

If I do need paste any tips on what type to get?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

is there not a small sachet with white goop in the box with the intel fan??

yes you do need thermal paste.

artic silver 5 would be top of my list.
    but afaik intel give you a tiny pouch with some in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

The fan is attached to a metal heatsink. You will see a thermal pad stuck to the bottom of the heatsink, possibly circular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Yeah you wont need anything extra...theres usually a circle of greyish thermal compound where the copper plate meets the top of your cpu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is it something like below?

Heatsink1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Thanks for the replies....

There is no 'bag of goop' which sounds like a good thing ;)

The fan is sitting on a heatsink, here's a pic of the underside of the heatsink, that will be in contact with the CPU, the three stripes could be the thermal compound that was mentioned?

DSC00035.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

thats thermal paste it is. thatle do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ah it came pre applied! excellent.

some come pre applied, some come with it in a small sachet.

Advertisement