Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bagels

• 08-04-2008 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Does ANYONE know if bagels would be classified as "good" or "bad" for you? I pretty much live in bagel factory so I''d love to know.

Wholemeal with cream cheese for breakfast? Good or bad? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Deja vu.

I just got this quote off of a site called fitsugar. I dunno how reliable it is but here you go....
    A typical slice of bread has about 70 calories, whereas a typical bagel has about 360!

Personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, I can't handle stodgy carbs like that.

How many a day are you having? Plus cream cheese......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭xanthe

was always told bread, butter and sugar are a no go when loosing weight!
    So to answer your question bagel is bread to me, so its bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Bagels are worse than bread, a bagel is like eating 5 slices of bread!

EDIT: Only read the other replies there now - what TheGrooner said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

They're practically pure starch. So crap for ya.

IMHO worse than lard (which gets way way worse a rap than it's due).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Subway wrap it is so! Thanks for the replies greatly appreciated.

Funnily enough I'm not too sure of this but I think I started eating bagels from reading something that G'em posted (sorry G'em :o) about how they're high in calories but low in fat so hence they're actually grand...ha I may be mistaking you for someone else here G'em so apologies if I am! :)

• Advertisement

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    they're high in calories but low in fat so hence they're actually grand
    Misconceptions like that really get to me. Fat is great, it's insulin neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Funnily enough I'm not too sure of this but I think I started eating bagels from reading something that G'em posted (sorry G'em :o) about how they're high in calories but low in fat so hence they're actually grand..
    I doubt I ever said anything of the kind.

Why have Subway? Why not make your own sandwiches? Or make a salad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Subway wrap it is so! Thanks for the replies greatly appreciated.

Funnily enough I'm not too sure of this but I think I started eating bagels from reading something that G'em posted (sorry G'em :o) about how they're high in calories but low in fat so hence they're actually grand...ha I may be mistaking you for someone else here G'em so apologies if I am! :)

Well don't assume a wrap is any better, especially those big ones you get in most sandwich places, they can be like multiple slices of bread too and are almost always made of bleached white flour.

As g'em said, why don't you make your own sandwich with some wholegrain bread or a salad, that way you know there's only gonna be good stuff in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I bought a weighing scales recently so I could start weighing out what I was eating and getting a better of idea of portions as opposed to fooling myself into thinking I wasn't eating that much. Anyway, I was looking at the label on my bread and it was listing the cals for an average slice of bread, at a weight of 36g per slice. I decided to see what weight the slice I was just about to use was and it was 50g! I know they say "average" but even the heel of the bread (i.e. smaller slice at the top/bottom) was 40g. Glad I checked as I would have been underestimating my calorie intake otherwise! I have become such a nerd with my weighing scales...

..no wait, I was always a nerd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

xanthe wrote: »

To be fair that is a bit too simple,I'm still eating wholemeal bread daily and honey with my tea daily and the weight is still coming off, it all comes down to how active you are imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

While yis are on the subject, are the Chicken Ceaser Salads there any good?
    http://www.bagelfactory.ie/bagel.swf

It says there that it has 7.6g of carbs (6.6 sugars) and 17g of protein. I think it has slightly over 200kcals?

I have this and a Zumo everyday for lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

xanthe wrote: »

What's wrong with sugar??

I love chicken Caesar salads. Lettuce though is practically just water. You want to add a few more veg in there to make it proper tasty. Theirs seems good, peppers and mixed leaves (which I assume means some spinach). The other one, the tuna salad looks even better, with its onions and cucumbers. Their tuna salad seems even better choice cos it's got red onions and cucumber in it.

On a side note. You have to be careful with some salad dressings. Check the ingredients, if it says "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil" avoid it like the plague. It will definitely contain trans fatty acids. I've noticed this with some shop brands. Personally I avoid anything that has vegetable oil in it full stop, way way too much omega 6 (creates unwanted levels of arachidonic acid -> "bad" eicosanoid hormones -> increased inflammation -> myriad of health problems)*. You're better off doing your own dressing with olive oil.

*Further Reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_fatty_acid_interactions
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eicosanoid

From the second page:
    "The reduction in AA-derived eicosanoids and the diminished activity of the alternative products generated from ω-3 fatty acids serve as the foundation for explaining some of the beneficial effects of greater ω-3 intake." —Kevin Fritsche, Fatty Acids as Modulators of the Immune Response

EDIT:
    hunter164 wrote: »
    What's wrong with sugar??
    It makes you fat and very unhealthy in too many ways to count.

I just bought a pack of bagels....280kcals per bagel...low fat philadelphia (43 kcals per tbsp)....so in total I'm having about 350 kcals for breakfast.

How is that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I just bought a pack of bagels....280kcals per bagel...low fat philadelphia (43 kcals per tbsp)....so in total I'm having about 350 kcals for breakfast.

How is that bad?

I dont think it is, I would have that for lunch either and its quite filling. Once in a while they are not going to kill you, the current fashion for blaming carbs for everything is why they are considered so bad, by the same logic fruit is bad for you. Bagels are fine once in a while and eaten with a low calorie filling, just not every breakfast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How is that bad?

It's not the number of calories that's bad, it's the complete lack of nutritional value in it. You'll be hungry again in an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

While the calorie content isnt' bad, the fact that the bagel may be made with refined white flour isn't great. It will be lacking in nutritional content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

M&S do some lovely multi-seed wholegrain bagels at 215 calories with sunflower seeds and other seeds, there areactually quite a few in them it's not just a token amount. Surely these are ok to have once or twice a week??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Well I am on WW and a medium (80G) bagel is 3 WW points which is the same as 2 slices or so of McCambridges.....

I may get my head blown off for this so relax homies i'm just gonna say it. :)

I don't care whether it lacks nutritional value or not I just want to know whether I'll get fat by eating them ha

Thanks for the M&S suggestion I think i'll pop in tomorrow ! Also whats humus like? Good/bad for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I don't care whether it lacks nutritional value or not I just want to know whether I'll get fat by eating them ha

Missing.point.completly.again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Then the answer is yes. You will eat your 350 kcal bagel (probably closer to 500 once you've put an "average" amount of cream cheese on it), then an hour later, you will be hungry and you will eat some other equally nutritionally-empty, high-calorie food. An hour after that you'll be hungry again... And so on.

This is a Nutrition and Diet Forum. If you don't want Nutrition advice then I suggest asking your question elsehwere.

If you continue to ask for advice with no intention of heeding it, I will ban you for trolling.

And btw, putting 'ha' at the end of something generally makes it more annoying, not less.

Ok, I just want to say apologies if I've come across ignorant to all your advice and thats mainly directed at G'em as I know you've given me many advice over the past few months through PM. Though I really want to make it clear that I may not be coming across well through posts in relation to asking for advice etc but thats completely unintentional. I really wasn't expecting such a negative reaction and the only reason as to why I included a "ha" was to show that I wasn't been rude and to avoid this type of reaction. I'm genuinely sorry though for coming across both ignorant and arrogant. :o

Can I just say though, I really do appreciate all the help you've given me G'em and I do really admire your work on this. I've often left comments under your posts thanking you and acknowledging your generosity in helping others out so I'd be pretty disappointed if you thought it was all going in one ear and out the other. Little do you know for that Boards Body Beach challenge thing I printed out everything you said and highlighted the important parts. (nerd, i know :)) I've also been keeping a food diary since talking to you. I've also been having a breakfast everyday which I never used to do since before talking to you. Theres numerous more things in which I've been doing differently as a result of the advice you've given me but no point in going through them all.

So overall I'm just trying to say I apologise to anyone if they feel as though I've been ignorant towards their advice, thats really not the case, I probably just don't come across the way I want so I really do apologise for that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Good for you Cheeky_gal. Keep up the new efforts!

No bother, and thanks for taking the time to write out such a lovely post. I'm delighted to hear you've been keeping on track and remember, even though sometimes the advice given out may require a bit of extra work (making sandwiches instead of buying bagels for example ;)) it's that little bit extra that can make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sarah+1

A joke.... :D

Why do seagulls fly over the sea?

Cos if they flew over bays they'd be called bagels!

Ba dum dum tish =]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Fair play Cheeky_gal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

Bagels over in the states are usually larger than the ones you get here.
    M&S or the packs in Tesco etc are about 220 cals per bagel.

You could fill it with avocado slices or home made hummus.
    They are also very tasty toasted with peanut butter.

Filled with lean ham, tomato & salad and a small tub of Philli extra light is about 300 cals. Not so bad if you're calorie counting. Would keep me going until my next meal - all depends on yourself really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 crazycatlady

But that's 350 out of your total daily allowance of 2000 on just your breakfast alone.

But if you love your bagels and cream cheese, enjoy them and eat them in moderation. You should also try drinking this tea for your breakfast if you're gonna stick to eating your bagels:

"Roberts Pu-erh". It helps speed up your metabolism and doesn't have that strong taste like all those other green teas do. It's exactly like drinking ordinary tea without the milk. I've noticed a huge difference in the past three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Stef1979

But that's 350 out of your total daily allowance of 2000 on just your breakfast alone.

But if you love your bagels and cream cheese, enjoy them and eat them in moderation. You should also try drinking this tea for your breakfast if you're gonna stick to eating your bagels:

"Roberts Pu-erh". It helps speed up your metabolism and doesn't have that strong taste like all those other green teas do. It's exactly like drinking ordinary tea without the milk. I've noticed a huge difference in the past three months.

I agree, I love this tea...really tasty!!

Advertisement