Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware/config advice - setting up small office WiFi/GbLAN network

Options
  • 08-04-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

Just posted a wanted ad over on Adverts relating to this but I would appreciate it if anyone had advice on the following.

I'm setting up a network in a building that houses a shared office space (10+ users, 2 floors, 3000 sq.ft.) and also a public meeting area in which we want to provide open wireless internet access.

The office users will need (in addition to internet) access to printing, a fileserver and possibly NAS drives at some point. Some of the users will be doing video editing so a Gigabit LAN would be important.

Internet access will be through a DSL cable modem.

I have been looking at options and I was thinking of a 24-port Gigabit switch (plenty of ports for expansion) to which I could connect the fileserver, desktop machines, small print server and wireless access point(s). A PoE capable switch would make it easier to install the access point in any location without needing a power socket.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of these:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/rackmountable_switch_jgs524.php
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_accesspoint_wg302.php

since they seem to work well together (PoE, management etc.).

I'm also thinking I should probably install a hardware firewall between the DSL modem and the switch, would this be necessary/advisable?

What sort of security should I implement on the access point, given that standard WEP is not very secure?
    I notice that some access points have a feature whereby public and private traffic can be segregated, should I take any other precautions to secure the office users' private traffic from public users?

I would be grateful for any advice, particularly regarding choice of hardware, management options (SNMP?) etc. from any experienced network heads.

thanks

edit: not sure if this should have been posted in Nets & Comms, apologies if so

Advertisement