Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball / end of term

Options
  • 08-04-2008 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Surprised there isnt a topic on this yet, seems to be fairly big news on campus...Anyway, so whos going? any wild thoughts on the event or its line up?

I reckon having two cheese acts on the one lineup is a bit dodgy, one or the other woulda been fair enough but two whole sets of crap music might be a bit much...still, at least 15e is cheapish. I'm also a bit miffed by the 'Admission after 4pm cannot be guaranteed' line on the tickets, surely if they have enough capacity to hold the amount of tickets for sale admission for ticket holders shouldnt be a problem?!

Last day of term last year was absolutely amazing with the great weather, the djs in the pit at the forum bar and the knacker drinking all over campus...lets hope this year comes close or beats it eh :D

Has anyone heard any interesting gossip about any of the "More acts to be unveiled!"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I think it's a much better idea than the last time round (black tie with a price to accompany that). Around this time of year people don't have much money. I may even go :p

Kinda agree with you on the 2 cheesey acts but it might be funny all the same.

East 17?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Myth wrote: »
    East 17?!
    No no, B*witched. And East 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

I'm dying to see East 17!! YAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Ah it'll be great craic if the weather is anything like last year. It'll be like a cheesey festival! I assume there'll be bouncy castles etc aswell??:p

Do you need a student card for having a ticket?Say you were bringing someone who wasn't a student.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Blut wrote: »
    Surprised there isnt a topic on this yet, seems to be fairly big news on campus...Anyway, so whos going? any wild thoughts on the event or its line up?

I reckon having two cheese acts on the one lineup is a bit dodgy, one or the other woulda been fair enough but two whole sets of crap music might be a bit much...still, at least 15e is cheapish. I'm also a bit miffed by the 'Admission after 4pm cannot be guaranteed' line on the tickets, surely if they have enough capacity to hold the amount of tickets for sale admission for ticket holders shouldnt be a problem?!

Last day of term last year was absolutely amazing with the great weather, the djs in the pit at the forum bar and the knacker drinking all over campus...lets hope this year comes close or beats it eh :D

Has anyone heard any interesting gossip about any of the "More acts to be unveiled!"?

I'm miffed they tampered with last year's idea. It was really good craic with the Beatles tribute band/knacker drinking (is there anyone who doesn't like either of those things?). They should've just done that again.

I think the East17/Bewitched line up is ridiculous. I mean, its funny when its at another college, but not in UCD! Both those bands are good for one song (none of you better pretend you don't know which songs I'm referring to), and that's it. Though, in fairness to the SU, €15 is pretty reasonable.

What's the craic with the lay out for the UCD "ball"? Will it be all over campus, or just around the Student Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What date is this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Last day of term, April 25th.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

BWitched - they've got to be kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

My thanks to the concerned partys who reported this but, to my knowledge, there is no connection between the UCD Ball and them what must not be named.

Note: My knowledge was backed up by extensive googling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Blame it on the Weatherman is worth the 15 euro alone.

I also like the way they spealt B*Witched wrong on the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Flume wrote: »

Do you need a student card for having a ticket?Say you were bringing someone who wasn't a student.

no student cards required, they would have had to advertise that.

I think its gonna be a great day - if the weather is half of what it was last year it will be immense..

has anybody else heard the outrageous rumours that they are sprinkling all of the pitches on the day so no-one can sit on them leis an cannaí.. hilarious! although I have no problems standing up drinking cans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

B*witched have at least 4 great songs. Damn you all, anonymous internet haterz! Damn you all to hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Umaro wrote: »
    B*witched have at least 4 great songs. Damn you all, anonymous internet haterz! Damn you all to hell!

Cest la vie, weatherman, to you I belong and ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Lineup is pure muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Rollercoaster & Jesse Hold on :p

Rollercoaster & Jesse Hold on :p
    Don't remember either.
    Wait:
    /hums ...Rollercoaster....get onnnnn....Rollercoaster /hums
    OK actually do sorta remember Rollercoaster.

Don't remember either.
    Wait:
    /hums ...Rollercoaster....get onnnnn....Rollercoaster /hums
    OK actually do sorta remember Rollercoaster.

Whoa, what about Say You Will? I'm not sure if that was the title, but I thought that was their big hit (along with, of course, Jessie Hold On).

Nonetheless, I'm opposed to ****ty novelty acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Looks like its sold out anyway as of 2pm today...only 2 weeks to go, should be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

is there anyone actually going to this for the music and not to get completely sh!tfaced!!?

yeah obviously the lineup is pure **** but i think ents have copped on that students will throw €15 at absolutely anything now which doesn't exactly set a great precedent for artistic talent at future UCD balls. i am pretty disappointed because i really do think if Ents had the will a proper UCD ball with proper acts could be a success

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

is there anyone actually going to this for the music and not to get completely sh!tfaced!!?

yeah obviously the lineup is pure **** but i think ents have copped on that students will throw €15 at absolutely anything now which doesn't exactly set a great precedent for artistic talent at future UCD balls. i am pretty disappointed because i really do think if Ents had the will a proper UCD ball with proper acts could be a success

East 17.

Seriously though Cowboy X should be alright.. I'm still holding out they they have some surprise headliner type thing.. a man can dream :(

i am pretty disappointed because i really do think if Ents had the will a proper UCD ball with proper acts could be a success

^^ Look at the success/enormity of the <snip>. Thats exactly what we should be aspiring to. And I'm not slating Steve, but I think the fact that UCD ents was heavily involved in a <snip> launch party speaks volumes.

Also, I think the suggestion that this year's "ball" is anything to "build on" is a cop-out, and complete denial. As much as I'd like to see it becoming a stellar, huge event, this isn't really the way to get off to a good start is it. As far as I'm concerned, the event is already a failure, thanks to setting the bar much too low.

Also:

1) Is it really sold-out? The mind boggles how 2,500 tickets can be sold out for such a rubbish lineup, yet Digitalism/Hystero has taken weeks to sell, with only about what, 700-800 tickets on sale?

2) Brings me nicely to my next point... The bar is the focal point of the Ball. The bar holds around 700/800 people. There are ~2,500 tickets on sale for the Ball. How exactly is this going to work? I know there's an 'outdoor stage', but will there be 2 outdoor bars? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, one wonders if the "no entry after 4pm" is a knowing nod to this problem, trying to keep attendance down.

Brimmy wrote: »
    East 17.

Seriously though Cowboy X should be alright.. I'm still holding out they they have some surprise headliner type thing.. a man can dream :(

I would guess with B*witched and East 17 as headliners, they'd be better off actually announcing the "surprise headliner" :p

Tom65 wrote: »
    I would guess with B*witched and East 17 as headliners, they'd be better off actually announcing the "surprise headliner" :p

Except that it has already sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I think the Blizzards are the main headliners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Absolute disaster of a lineup. Should have made it some "cheesy 90s theme", or else gotten real bands. Having rubbish like B*witched to sell tickets just makes the fact they've a great hip hop act like MJEX on the bill look terrible. Should have made it a decent lineup, or just cheesy rubbish acts, instead it falls between two stools.

Of course the fact that its sold out (supposedly, I'd be stunned if there wasn't a nother batch of tickets to be released) may set a bad precedence for next year. Not one decent rock/indie/alternative act playing all year (can't think of anyone off the top of my head apart from Jape who was bumped down the bill at the Festival once they managed to secure another electro/dance act).
    Then again there's people who'll think Fun Lovin Criminals are cutting edge =/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Jessie Hold On is a tour de force of pop. I wish I was still a virgin, so I could dream about one day losing it to one of the girls from B*witched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

There's at least 200 more tickets being released tomorrow - proper figures for sales are in the sub 2000 range from what I hear.

<Some content missing>
    Not one decent rock/indie/alternative act playing all year (can't think of anyone off the top of my head apart from Jape who was bumped down the bill at the Festival once they managed to secure another electro/dance act).
    Then again there's people who'll think Fun Lovin Criminals are cutting edge =/

Well, what exactly did you want on a limited budget? What act played a similar sized venue/university in Ireland that you wanted to see?

I've zero affiliation with ents and went to maybe 2 of their events this year, but I would feel obliged to play devil's advocate in this case. Even to organise the 'ball' of a small society easily hits the 5 figures, getting international acts in is a far more complicated and expensive procedure.

In any case I paid 15 euro to see Messiah J on one than more occasion, the cost of the ticket for them, a days drinking and a few joke acts is definitely worth it.

For people who are still dead-set against the idea, the LGBT had their alternative Debs recently, there was at least 3 major 'balls' I can think of in the last week, JazzSoc had another free band/booze up in Astra Hall, free indie-rock gig in the student bar yesterday, GameSoc tournament all weekend, trips with most of the major sporting organisations... Less time spent complaining on boards and more time getting involved in UCD life people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MarkOShea

Line-up is indeed muck. But it's end of term. €15. Have a few cans, Chill with your mates. Get sh1tfaced. Sing along to to C'est La Vie. Perfecto.

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote: »
    There's at least 200 more tickets being released tomorrow - proper figures for sales are in the sub 2000 range from what I hear.

People making trinity ball comments - 80 euro for what; Mark Ronson, Vitalic and who exactly?

Well, what exactly did you want on a limited budget? What act played a similar sized venue/university in Ireland that you wanted to see?

I've zero affiliation with ents and went to maybe 2 of their events this year, but I would feel obliged to play devil's advocate in this case. Even to organise the 'ball' of a small society easily hits the 5 figures, getting international acts in is a far more complicated and expensive procedure.

In any case I paid 15 euro to see Messiah J on one than more occasion, the cost of the ticket for them, a days drinking and a few joke acts is definitely worth it.

For people who are still dead-set against the idea, the LGBT had their alternative Debs recently, there was at least 3 major 'balls' I can think of in the last week, JazzSoc had another free band/booze up in Astra Hall, free indie-rock gig in the student bar yesterday, GameSoc tournament all weekend, trips with most of the major sporting organisations... Less time spent complaining on boards and more time getting involved in UCD life people!

Bitter as I am, I'd have to agree with 99% of what you just said..

Advertisement