Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball / end of term

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Bubs101 wrote: »
    God damn it fatal, I would have taken that of your hands.

Just as I was going to offer it to someone on this thread for 15,a mate of mine rang me and insisted that I sold it to him for 20 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Tom65 wrote: »
    Festival clothing being wellies, shorts, damp hoody and BO, presumably?

i stopped washing my pits months ago in anticipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Are all the tickets gone????? For sure???? :eek:

Aww... I really wanted to go :(

Damn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

i stopped washing my pits months ago in anticipation.

no ones actually taking that seriously are they?i assumed that was just a way of letting people know that its not proper ball gear...although it does say prizes for best dressed.

i know someone who has bought wellies for it,like its all on concrete i dont get it(except for when everyone moves to the field) but wellies???i wont be wearing "festival gear" in the student centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

karmabass wrote: »
    Also, one wonders if the "no entry after 4pm" is a knowing nod to this problem, trying to keep attendance down.

There is no way they can stop people getting in, there are too many entrances to ucd for them to stop anything or anyone... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Next person to try buying/selling tickets in this thread gets a special mystery prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Raphael wrote: »
    Next person to try buying/selling tickets in this thread gets a special mystery prize.

A ban?

Well.. guess we just have to open up a new thread now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

lol! That kinda cheek's gonna get you a special mystery prize!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Korvanica wrote: »
    There is no way they can stop people getting in, there are too many entrances to ucd for them to stop anything or anyone... :)

By your logic, there'd be no point selling tickets! It's not an open event y'knw..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

I heard today that they're closing all the road access to the college(other than the main gates) from 12pm and they'll be searching everyone coming onto campus for drink on the day from the same time.

Could be just a rumour...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

They had lots of garda checkpoints up last year searching cars for drink and breathalysing drivers. Given the UCD ball is on this year (and will probably drag in more nonstudents than usual) I'd say theyll do it again this year alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Can they actually take unopened drink from students walking through? Particularly residents?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Last year they were letting people on campus with booze. Anyway, there's plenty of ways into campus - checkpoints or no checkpoints. If the students want to drink, they will find ways to drink and most likely drink more than usual, just to give two fingers up to these stupid rules and restrictions being put into place.

As for these festival rules - they're not very reasonable;

If you don't get in before 3, you're not getting in and if you leave you won't get back? Is it a festival or a prison? You can't have 4,500 people in that place and tell them that if they leave to go to an atm, for some dinner etc. that they won't be let back in? Same way as you can't deny people who've coughed over cash for tickets that they can't get in after 3 o'clock - especially when nothing of the sort is said on the tickets or was said when selling the tickets. You can't expect people to spend 10 hours in such an enclosed space. Stupid rules like that is what will cause riot-like behaviour - which surely is what services and the Gardai don't want to happen. If the security used a bit of logic, they'd see that.

Long Live Last-Day-Of-Term Antics!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

mloc wrote: »
    Can they actually take unopened drink from students walking through? Particularly residents?

They can't take the unopened drink from you, but they can stop you from entering the campus. It's private property after all. Don't think they stop residents, but they waste a lot of people's time trying to make them prove their residency. There's ways around all these things, though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭acostelloe1

any word bout the student card situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

The quality of the acts does not matter.

Large, multi-act festivals are almost unilaterally awful anyway, unless you're too drunk to tell the difference. (That's to say nothing of how awful single act shows are.)

Anyone with an ounce of taste would prefer to listen to music on headphones.

I personally would prefer to spend a day in a concentration camp than pay any amount of money at all to wax the egos of an indifferent, ignorant, mediocre, music industry pawn, from whatever done-to-death genre you care to mention, by pretending to myself as visibly as possible that I'm having fun listening to their own peculiar brand of marketable, image-driven tripe.

The conditions (in a CC) would be just about the same, but the company would probably be much better, and I wouldn't have to put up with nearly as much awful, muddy noise, or have to explain to a constant stream of willingly delirious drunks why I'm not shít-faced enough to be "enjoying myself."

What the hell does it have to do with university anyway? It just isn't ENTertaiment. It's divertisement. It's something you have to get paralytic to enjoy, or to forget you didn't. The music is just an excuse, and a pretty bad one at that.

It sounds... really.... awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Last year they were letting people on campus with booze. Anyway, there's plenty of ways into campus - checkpoints or no checkpoints. If the students want to drink, they will find ways to drink and most likely drink more than usual, just to give two fingers up to these stupid rules and restrictions being put into place.

As for these festival rules - they're not very reasonable;

If you don't get in before 3, you're not getting in and if you leave you won't get back? Is it a festival or a prison? You can't have 4,500 people in that place and tell them that if they leave to go to an atm, for some dinner etc. that they won't be let back in? Same way as you can't deny people who've coughed over cash for tickets that they can't get in after 3 o'clock - especially when nothing of the sort is said on the tickets or was said when selling the tickets. You can't expect people to spend 10 hours in such an enclosed space. Stupid rules like that is what will cause riot-like behaviour - which surely is what services and the Gardai don't want to happen. If the security used a bit of logic, they'd see that.

Long Live Last-Day-Of-Term Antics!!!!

I'd say a lot of the new restrictions were conditions attached to (almost) doubling the size of the whole thing... Maybe it'll make more sense when the venue is setup? I presume it's going to have to encompass the car park by the student centre to fit everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

johnnyflav wrote: »
    I heard today that they're closing all the road access to the college(other than the main gates) from 12pm and they'll be searching everyone coming onto campus for drink on the day from the same time.

Could be just a rumour...

I'm fairly certain they can't do that. If I want to walk through UCD to get somewhere else with drink on me (a likely possibility on Friday), they can't refuse me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Large, multi-act festivals are almost unilaterally awful anyway, unless you're too drunk to tell the difference. (That's to say nothing of how awful single act shows are.)

Anyone with an ounce of taste would prefer to listen to music on headphones.

I personally would prefer to spend a day in a concentration camp than pay any amount of money at all to wax the egos of an indifferent, ignorant, mediocre, music industry pawn, from whatever done-to-death genre you care to mention, by pretending to myself as visibly as possible that I'm having fun listening to their own peculiar brand of marketable, image-driven tripe.

The conditions (in a CC) would be just about the same, but the company would probably be much better, and I wouldn't have to put up with nearly as much awful, muddy noise, or have to explain to a constant stream of willingly delirious drunks why I'm not shít-faced enough to be "enjoying myself."

What the hell does it have to do with university anyway? It just isn't ENTertaiment. It's divertisement. It's something you have to get paralytic to enjoy, or to forget you didn't. The music is just an excuse, and a pretty bad one at that.

Go on, tell us what happened to you.:pac:

Sean_K wrote: »
    Go on, tell us what happened to you.:pac:

Nothing "happened" to me.

• Advertisement

<sounds like I've got some sort of giant chip on my shoulder about Irish social life>

What would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I'm fairly certain they can't do that. If I want to walk through UCD to get somewhere else with drink on me (a likely possibility on Friday), they can't refuse me.

Ya sure? It is private property and all that.

Well I have just heard from an ents person that only the main entrance will be open, security will be posted at all the other entrances/exits and booze wont be allowed on campus.

The "once your in, your in" issue, This has nought really to do with ents and is a "security thing" apparently. Also, there is no real point in leaving given you wont be allowed to drink on campus.

Set up is meant to be as follows:

Arena:
    Carpark between HS and Student Centre/Forum Bar and PIT

Layout:
    Will be proper festival style including chip vans/outdoor bars etc.
    ALSO NEWS JUST IN:

DOUBLE VODKA AND RED BULL BAR: No singles allowed.
    JD and black bar is also rumoured.

3 Stages:
    Carpark
    Pit
    and probably inside the forum bar(not too sure on this)
    Silent disco also.... should be great fun.

Weather is meant to be ****. Security will be very tight by all accounts.

Large, multi-act festivals are almost unilaterally awful anyway, unless you're too drunk to tell the difference. (That's to say nothing of how awful single act shows are.) Eh.....So what do you like

Anyone with an ounce of taste would prefer to listen to music on headphones.Bit anti social dont you agree?

I personally would prefer to spend a day in a concentration camp than pay any amount of money at all to wax the egos of an indifferent, ignorant, mediocre, music industry pawn, from whatever done-to-death genre you care to mention, by pretending to myself as visibly as possible that I'm having fun listening to their own peculiar brand of marketable, image-driven tripe.I can guarantee this is a lie, you would not prefer to spend a day in a concetration camp, stop being a drama queen and/or using hyperbole to emphasize your point

The conditions (in a CC) would be just about the same, but the company would probably be much better, and I wouldn't have to put up with nearly as much awful, muddy noise, or have to explain to a constant stream of willingly delirious drunks why I'm not shít-faced enough to be "enjoying myself.""Conformist"

What the hell does it have to do with university anyway? It just isn't ENTertaiment. It's divertisement. It's something you have to get paralytic to enjoy, or to forget you didn't. The music is just an excuse, and a pretty bad one at that.Music isnt the excuse, last day of term is and also since when has anyone ever needed an excuse to drink and have a bit of fun? Jesus...

Dry up.Conformist.

I can see serious crowd control issues. With last year as a precedent, people will expect similar. Clamp down on freedoms will only cause people to try and break them anyway. Security try and stop it, people complain, 4500 people... I can see a potential there for a bit of bad press for UCD (again).

I can see serious crowd control issues. With last year as a precedent, people will expect similar. Clamp down on freedoms will only cause people to try and break them anyway. Security try and stop it, people complain, 4500 people... I can see a potential there for a bit of bad press for UCD (again).

Its going to be one giant abortion. I have a feeling tho that as the day progresses and security gradually get the picture of what exactly they are dealing with a lot of these "freedoms" will be restored.

at least, I hope I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I'm fairly certain they can. Waaayyy back when the Freshers ball was a big on campus event, that was the way it was run, the campus was closed off, there was a venue set up for drinking and hordes of guys in hi-viz jackets roaming about everywhere else.

Not sure how it's going to affect people living on campus though... what will the story be with bringing drink back to apartments?

What would you suggest?
    Meaning... what, exactly?

Also, suggesting I've a "chip on my shoulder" suggests I'm somehow wrong about this. That's manifestly incorrect. I've got the whole pathologically abusive Irish social life on my shoulder, and have had for years.

It seems to me that saying "who cares what the acts are... it's all about getting shít faced!" is giving every event organizer and his grandmother a sovereign mandate to be as slapdash and thoughtless as possible going about his business, as long as he manages a beer truck in approximately the right location.

Eh.....So what do you like
    Eh.... That isn't particularly relevant.
    Bit anti social dont you agree?
    Nope. I'm a reasonably social person. I just have specific views about how music is appreciated in contemporary society.
    I can guarantee this is a lie, you would not prefer to spend a day in a concetration camp, stop being a drama queen and/or using hyperbole to emphasize your point
    You can't guarantee anything of the sort.

What difference would it make? Divested of most of my possessions? Strictly controlled in my movements? Handled by a bunch of burly, jack-booted thugs? Environment not conducive to comfort or enjoyment?

I really would spend a day in a camp, rather than attend a festival.
    Music isnt the excuse, last day of term is and also since when has anyone ever needed an excuse to drink and have a bit of fun? Jesus...
    As far as I'm concerned, what passes for light drinking here is in need of some very strong justificatory argument. There seems to be some erroneous stereotype floating around that induces people to believe that, for students, there is some normative compulsion behind drinking abusively.
    Dry up.Conformist.
    I'm not really sure how you justify calling me a conformist, given the situation. It's probably an interesting, if daft, line of reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain they can.

They can't stop residents entering the campus with unopened drinks, and they can't prove anyone coming in ISN'T a resident unless they follow everyone back to their apartments. Can't see any way this could possibly work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

E
    I really would spend a day in a camp, rather than attend a festival.

Bitta Godwin wouldn't go amiss sometime soon..........................

Troll perhaps?

Advertisement