Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball / end of term

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I really would spend a day in a camp, rather than attend a festival.

I don't know who to feel more sorry for; you or society.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Nah, have a look at his other posts. Freewheeling philosopher who likes a bit of a verbal scuffle I reckon :)

I'd agree with a bit of his argument anyway, since the avowed intent of a lot of posters so far has been to go a knacker-drinking binge...

@karmabass: Yeah, I can't see how it would work with actual residents. Non residents with drink could just be denied entry to the campus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    @karmabass: Yeah, I can't see how it would work with actual residents. Non residents with drink could just be denied entry to the campus though.

But how can they tell who is or is not a resident?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Surely the answer is just to bring drink in tomorrow and stash it in your locker?

Or take the 10 in and bypass gate checks.

If they lock all the other gates is the 11B going to be diverted does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Eh.... That isn't particularly relevant..

Sure it is. What would you suggest for appropriate end of term celebrations that would attract the biggest crowds for ents? They are appealing to the mainstream as this is their market. Which is fair enough.
    Nope. I'm a reasonably social person. I just have specific views about how music is appreciated in contemporary society.

Again fair enough. Lighten up a little bit though. Hope you're not all argumentative and bitter in real life. Maybe its your keyboard warrior persona getting a little out of line?
    You can't guarantee anything of the sort.

What difference would it make? Divested of most of my possessions? Strictly controlled in my movements? Handled by a bunch of burly, jack-booted thugs? Environment not conducive to comfort or enjoyment?

I really would spend a day in a camp, rather than attend a festival.

I sure can guarantee it. Saying you'd prefer a day in a concentration camp as opposed to a day with mates and people who are like you in a friendly atmosphere to a place of death, suffering and misery is completely ludicrous. I am being pedantic here and I know your being overly sensational but I can guarantee that if you were offered the choice, youd kack yourself and immediately shout " I am so ****ing drunk....this day is deadly....UCD Ball...woooooooooo"
    As far as I'm concerned, what passes for light drinking here is in need of some very strong justificatory argument. There seems to be some erroneous stereotype floating around that induces people to believe that, for students, there is some normative compulsion behind drinking abusively.

I agree, sterotype annoys me too, this is irreleveant though given its the last day of term and any reasonable adult/parent/person would like us to enjoy ourselves and so we will.
    I'm not really sure how you justify calling me a conformist, given the situation. It's probably an interesting, if daft, line of reasoning.

South park

• Advertisement

Surely the answer is just to bring drink in tomorrow and stash it in your locker?

If they lock all the other gates is the 11B going to be diverted does anyone know?

I want a nice cool beer. So... I am gonna drive in early on friday morning car loaded with a cooler box and beer and park it up near the arena. That should be ok I think.

I want a nice cool beer. So... I am gonna drive in early on friday morning car loaded with a cooler box and beer and park it up near the arena. That should be ok I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

If only i knew who you were.

If only i knew who you were.

Yeah unlucky.... gg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

ucd campus is extremely easy to gain access to. they can man the exits all they want, the camus is too large and has too many walls/fences backing onto public roads/housing estates etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

whats your car type and reg again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Now I'm not attending the Ball due to a 21st birthday party but am I to believe all this speculation about draconian measures at the main entrances and exits.

There hasn't been any official information regarding these except for the cut-off time for entry to the Ball and no re-entry to the Ball after exiting.

Chakar wrote: »
    Now I'm not attending the Ball due to a 21st birthday party but am I to believe all this speculation about draconian measures at the main entrances and exits.

There hasn't been any official information regarding these except for the cut-off time for entry to the Ball and no re-entry to the Ball after exiting.[/quote]

which i think we all agree is the stupidest thing anyones ever heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I certainly haven't heard of such measures enforced at any events. Sure you might do that for formal events or something like that but not for so-called 'festivals'.

How many of you have ever been to <snip>? Where the rule is the same, you're either in or you're out..

Or at a concert in Marley/Phoenix Park... You are entitled to one admission with your ticket, that is it.

It is a standard across the board, and I don't see what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

How many of you have ever been to <snip>? Where the rule is the same, you're either in or you're out..

Or at a concert in Marley/Phoenix Park... You are entitled to one admission with your ticket, that is it.

It is a standard across the board, and I don't see what the problem is.

I think the problem might be that a lot of the people are looking to be able to nip out to the 'free bar' parked nearby instead of buying drink inside the venue... :rolleyes:

Obviously thats what everyone would prefer..

But come on guys, this is a huge deal for ents to organise, and you can only expect them to want people to spend money in the bars.

It makes clear, rational business sense...

Was Ents set up to generate revenue or was it set up to generate the craic?Who's with me?
    Belushi_in_Animal_House.jpg

Obviously thats what everyone would prefer..

But come on guys, this is a huge deal for ents to organise, and you can only expect them to want people to spend money in the bars.

It makes clear, rational business sense...

Ents isnt a business - its an organisation put there to make college life more enjoyable for students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

The ball this year is a scam, the students union in UCD receives a huge amount of money from the regestration fee compared to other colleges and not only expects us to pay to celebrate the last day of term in UCD, but is forcing us to queue for 20 mins to get what i can guess will be watered down fosters and spend a fortune. but I suppose the Ents officer does have to find money to compensate for the free accomidation he receives for a year and the endless parties his salary must be spent on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

and not only expects us to pay to celebrate the last day of term in UCD,

Its not your only option to celebrate the last day of term. The students union arent forcing you to buy a ticket and attend this one event... you could always celebrate the last day of term in the Student Bar, or in your own home, or somewhere off campus. Nobody is going to stop you doing that. That statement is just silly in my opinion.
    but I suppose the Ents officer does have to find money to compensate for the free accomidation he receives for a year and the endless parties his salary must be spent on

Nonsense. Where is your evidence that the Ents Officer gets free accomodation? He doesnt. And what he spends his salary (well earned, in my opinion) on, whether it be his social life or other, is entirely his business.

Most of the restrictions put in place are by demand of the college authorities and the gardai.. who obviously have to be involved in the planning of it due to licencing and insurance issues. More restrictions have been put in place with the increase in capacity due to increased demand.. which has been done for those of you who were complaining you couldnt get a ticket- the Ents officer did his best to make more available to you.

At the end of the day, if you dont like the line up or you think the price is too steep or there are too many restrictions, or you just think it will be plain s***e you have the freedom to choose not to attend.

Personally, im looking forward to the day, hopefully we will get some sunshine!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Chakar wrote: »
    I certainly haven't heard of such measures enforced at any events. Sure you might do that for formal events or something like that but not for so-called 'festivals'.

It's ridiculous, I doubt it will be enforced either, just an armband put on when you hand in your ticket that you just make sure stays on.

The thing that people have to remember that although it is the last day of term there are still classes going on that some people will inevitably have to go too.. because we're unable to make our other tutorials in the week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

I've decided not to go, i'd rather have some informal celebrations with my friends on my last ever day in ucd :)
    I've a feeling this could be a bit of a disaster judging by the way some people are talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

EDIT: Gah, nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Fúck I forgot about the endless queuing for horrible pints of Fosters that I will inevitable spill the second I leave the bar.

FúCK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Fúck I forgot about the endless queuing for horrible pints of Fosters that I will inevitable spill the second I leave the bar.

FúCK

Drink Bulmers?

Ah sure this is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

Ok fair enough I was wrong about the free accomidation, that was just the frustration of finishing a thesis on a sunny day.

QUOTE-Because I dont know how to do it properly- QUOTE
    Its not your only option to celebrate the last day of term. The students union arent forcing you to buy a ticket and attend this one event... you could always celebrate the last day of term in the Student Bar, or in your own home, or somewhere off campus. Nobody is going to stop you doing that. That statement is just silly in my opinion.
    QUOTE-Because I dont know how to do it properly- QUOTE

This quote offers so many options..... where to begin?. Attempt and fail easily to get into the small students union bar in the largest campus in Ireland, go home or not celebrate on UCD campus!??? What a lucky student I am... therefore I will have to buy a ticket if I want to be with my friends.

I've been in UCD for 4 years and have paid alot of student fees. Its not alot to ask from the STUDENTS UNION that a student can relax anywhere he wants with friends*ON* campus with a few drinks and not have some A-hole bouncer babysit me and say " you can enter here but dont expect to come back, if you leave to leave to talk to classmates who couldnt get tickets"

I can guarantee one thing, anyone on the Students Union or is good freinds with someone on the union will be having no trouble entering and leaving to knock a few cans back. While the rest of us are queuing for 20 mins for a pint of fosters while half the members of B- Witched Irish dance to the tune of the stupedist(sic) act that our student union fees has ever been spent on!

" Oh but its sooooo IRONIC that they are playing isn't it???"

ttempt and fail easily to get into the small students union bar in the largest campus in Ireland, go home or not celebrate on UCD campus!??? What a lucky student I am... therefore I will have to buy a ticket if I want to be with my friends.

I've been in UCD for 4 years and have paid alot of student fees. Its not alot to ask from the STUDENTS UNION that a student can relax anywhere he wants with friends*ON* campus with a few drinks and not have some A-hole bouncer babysit me and say " you can enter here but dont expect to come back, if you leave to leave to talk to classmates who couldnt get tickets"

I can guarantee one thing, anyone on the Students Union or is good freinds with someone on the union will be having no trouble entering and leaving to knock a few cans back. While the rest of us are queuing for 20 mins for a pint of fosters while half the members of B- Witched Irish dance to the tune of the stupedist(sic) act that our student union fees has ever been spent on!

" Oh but its sooooo IRONIC that they are playing isn't it???"

couldnt have put it better myself tbh, i agee 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

couldnt have put it better myself tbh, i agee 100%

Ditto.
    There's one day that you'd risk running around campus trying to get away with drinking in random places, playing games and just having great fun and thats the last day of college. The bar's just an everyday thing and there's nothing really new about it all

On another note the area that they're putting up seems tiny, and not much of a "festival"... there's no grass! so you can't even go sit there and watch everything... psh

Advertisement