Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball / end of term

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

gubbie wrote: »
    There's one day that you'd risk running around campus trying to get away with drinking in random places, playing games and just having great fun and thats the last day of college.
    QFT.

Drinkin all afternoon on the sports fields last year en masse, with the sun beating down and no constant haranguing (sp?) by Services, that was wicked. Ditto for the years before that when we used to head down to Tir na nOg. Deadly times.

This "festival" can suck my cynical balls tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

so do you definitely need to be in this before 3 to get in? what a smelly joke. 7 hours in the same place? do they want people to pass out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was just in the Forum bar, and they are ALREADY out of loo-roll.
    Tomorrow will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I was just in the Forum bar, and they are ALREADY out of loo-roll.
    Tomorrow will be interesting.

Well at least he's got one aspect of the authentic festival experience covered..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

could it be an intentional ploy by the ents committee to replicate that very experience? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

How many of you have ever been to Trinity Ball? Where the rule is the same, you're either in or you're out..

Ban IMO, i thought no speaking about MCD events was allowed.

Come on Grimes, your loosing your touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 HoldOnTight

Nark

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

The problematic assumption is that a large corporate festival style event is the model even remotely appropriate to university entertainments. Those events are rarely if ever well organized, rarely if ever even pleasant, and certainly not worth going to if you're not getting payed to do so.

But nobody notices, because, although they are there, they're drunk, and don't even notice when they are manhandled from one area to another, or guided from one venue with awful acoustics to another, through a commercial area with unforgivably overpriced necessities, like water, or simple foods.

And then you have the embarrassing ad campaigns, which instruct us as to how one ought to comport oneself authentically at an "authentic" festival style event. "Are you festival fit?", you are asked. Which is a subtle way of creating the impression among a vast amount of impressionable young people that it would be a good idea to be the sort of 'festival fit' depicted in the ad, when really, that type of 'festival' fit is something concocted by a PR company who were instructed to make the following look fashionable, or in someway cool, in the interests of hugely inflated profit for some greedy, shadowy, nameless events management corporation:
    1. paying big money to get into, what is, when it comes down to it, a glorified concentration camp,
    2. getting hammered to within a nanometer of alcohol poisoning,
    3. flouting all civilized convention so as to live in as close a manner as possible to the way people in famine-stricken countries live, when anyone who genuinely has to live in that kind of condition would think the idea of enjoying it is insulting and unsettling,
    4. spending all of a your €10 on a single hotdog, repeatedly, because you're too stupid with drink to do anything else, and
    5. coming home raving to your friends who didn't go about how "amazing" was a weekend that you don't really remember very clearly, so that the whole silly cycle can be repeated faithfully next year.

Why anyone in charge of entertainments in a university, a place which is supposed to harbour the intellectual elite of the young people of this country, would think it a good idea to bring this abortion of a model for an enjoyable party to the campus (or why, indeed, other big colleges around do the same thing) is a question in need of some serious empirical study.

So, no, it's not the price, or the acts, or the organization, it's the fact that it's happening at all, the fact that it's considered even appropriate to university entertainments.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that it's a good thing that an event of this type is being organized, and that it's happening on the last day of term. The sorry fact is that most of the people posting here are pissed off that it's happening on the last day of term at all, because it's making trouble for, and getting in the way of last-day-of-term drinking, which is typically thought of as the best day of the year, and which mostly happens without a whole lot of organization at all. While the last day of term isn't really my idea of fun, I can sympathize to some degree - far better a disorganized piss-up than a corporate style pseudo-piss-up. As far as I can see, it would have been better for these people if the Ball had been gotten out of the way some other day of the year, and the SU hadn't been so self-important as to assume that having it on the last day of the term was something everyone would think was a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Why if anyone has any doubts over anything to do with an ents event they're called "haters" and are told not to bother going, or run for ents themselves. Seems way over the top. People are bound to be sceptical over aspects of the ball, as FionnMatthew points out above. As for the amount of money that goes in to a festival like this...you say you almost pay €15 to get in to a club in town. Well firstly, you don't pay €15. Also most clubs in town don't have 4000 people in them. If 4000 is the actual attendance, then the SU/ents will be taking in €60,000 from ticket sales alone, right? On top of that you have the money that is pumped in to ents/SU from our registration fees, and all the other sources of income from the ball and other events. Lets not pretend we're getting incredible value and an amaznig line up and facilities for our 60+k here.

Anyways, all kicks off in about an hour. Ill be heading down after 3, I'd better still get in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

As far as I can see, it would have been better for these people if the Ball had been gotten out of the way some other day of the year, and the SU hadn't been so self-important as to assume that having it on the last day of the term was something everyone would think was a great idea.
    Couldn't agree more.

Drinking dutch gold in the rain and avoiding services ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Fair play to ents, I think it looks set to be a great day....well i thought that until i got up.Everyone has to admit that what REALLY made last year so brilliant was because the sun was scorching down the whole day, amazing weather.....looking out the window, i have my doubts as to how brilliant this year will be

We'll all know in about 12 hours!

im handing an essay in after 3 so they better let me in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

enjoy the weather folks!!!!!!!!!
    I can't really say much though because im heading to a bbq today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Anyone know what the situation at the gates are as of the moment? Are they been manned by services?

no situation at the gates as of 11:10

what does the place look like? capable of housing 4,500 peoples worth of piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'd definitely be interested in hearing how the Ball went later on today and tomorrow. But the weather sure is bad - cold, mild and wet.

Chakar wrote: »
    I'd definitely be interested in hearing how the Ball went later on today and tomorrow. But the weather sure is bad - cold, mild and wet.

typical festival weather i suppose chakar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Anyone got any tickets available? I was out of the country when they were on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

here i am with a flask of booze in my pocket and a smile on my face and campus is fuppin dead...no shiney happy people scuffling round the place...what gives?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

yeah, i really wanna know how this goes, let us know suckaz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

no tomfooling around, no reckless abandon....its the last day of term and it seems everyone is firmly on the dry-sheit bus grrr

no sex, no drugs, no wine, no women, no fun, no sin, no you....no wonder its dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Anyone know what the situation at the gates are as of the moment? Are they been manned by services?

All gates are manned now and the clonskeagh gate is closed to traffic for those wishing to leave via car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

all's quiet on the southern front

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

betafrog wrote: »
    Kinetics played to a massive crowd of 2 people :D
    I got a Bebo friend request from them once. I accepted it, just so I could post a comment on their page, and then I deleted them.

The message was this:
    Dear Kinetiks,

Yet another solicitation, from yet another banal group of identikit teenagers in teeshirts and jeans, pushing their own dressed-up, garden variety, posture heavy guitar-music as if it was a corporate brand.

There is a reason the Bebo structure prohibits actual Bandpages from soliciting new friends.

It ****ing annoys people.

This latest trend, of creating a Memberpage clone of the Bandpage as a platform from which to solicit fans, is about twice as annoying, because you've already been told, and you don't seem to know what's good for you.

You could just wait for people to request you. That way, the amount of friends you have would actually BE an indicator of your merit. This way, your friend count is just an indicator of how sickeningly needy you are. And everyone knows this.

I am not impartial to a small modicum of mediocre Dublin guitar music from time to time, but you've pissed me off, and so I shall not be listening to your music.

yours,
    Fionn.

It's interesting to hear of the reception they got at the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

I got a Bebo friend request from them once. I accepted it, just so I could post a comment on their page, and then I deleted them.

The message was this:

It's interesting to hear of the reception they got at the ball.

you're so negative, my god!
    maybe they thought you'd like their music? it wouldn't have been that hard to decline the request, it would have taken a lot less energy than typing out that rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I got a Bebo friend request from them once.

It's hilarious that someone as pompous as you admits to using Bebo. Your drivel is unbearable to read and only serves to make most readers sympathetic to whoever or whatever you are attempting to dismiss as being below you. Of course it is all below you - up there on your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

F-Stop wrote:
    It's hilarious that someone as pompous as you admits to using Bebo. Your drivel is unbearable to read and only serves to make most readers sympathetic to whoever or whatever you are attempting to dismiss as being below you. Of course it is all below you - up there on your high horse.

So you're in the band then? :p

Well in fairness FionnMatthew does have a point, though he may have gone about it in the wrong way... They'd benefit themselves much more by letting people add them, but then again it is a way of getting their music out there. The turnout to their gig must be soul destroying for them! Regardless, I'm going to acquire some of their material and check 'em out.

I saw the end of the Blizzards gig from outside the fencing and there seemed to be a good turnout. But my God the campus was a state; rubbish everywhere! It was amusing to see the 'rent-a-services' try to coax a pair of lads down from the scaffolding over the walkway in between the Sci and Ag buildings. They were all running around under the scaffolding just shouting up at them, "come on down from there!". It did work though...
    I spent a good part of the day up at Glenomena. There was a massive amount of people outside drinking, and annoying the security guards walking about. They got one hell of a cheer when they grabbed a pair of fire extinguishers off some students who were spraying each other! Fun times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I didn't get tickets to the Arts Ball and I was really disappointed. I went along with a friend anyway and asked a security guard if there was any way we could get in. He took my bag and slipped two tickets in :D:D

The Ball itself wasn't what I thought it would be. The only thing that it had going for it was the Wolfe Tones. East 17 were awful, cursing and attempting to rap (if that's what you call it?!)

Security were nice and all but they were all situated around the entrances. There seemed to be none in the actual concert area, where they were needed. The crowd seemed a bit out of control, I was shocked at the amount of aggression on display. Granted, not everyone was like this by any means but we definately didn't feel totally safe.

For a group of rich kids, some of the orange twits stumbling around were nothing but ignorant animals. Here was me thinking that any bother that was caused would be from skanger type people or even outsiders. I have to say I'm a little bit stunned.

In fairness though, that isn't the organisers fault and they did do a good job in arranging it. My only issue with them is why they advertised B*witched on posters and tickets when it was actually only two members singing??? Not that I care anyway but I just think the whole day did not live up to what was expected. I'm probably just being a grinch though and I did get in for free so I can't complain :)

Advertisement