Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball / end of term

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

no tomfooling around, no reckless abandon....its the last day of term and it seems everyone is firmly on the dry-sheit bus grrr

no sex, no drugs, no wine, no women, no fun, no sin, no you....no wonder its dark.

God, with a list that long you'll be Turning Japanese next. :p

So same sh!te, different year then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

F-stop, don't personally abuse other posters.

I was delighted with Mrs Lynch (b*Witched), I thought that was unbelievably class, I'm so glad I got to hear them, Blame it on the Weatherman was class. East 17 have aged badly (oh so badly), and weren't great. I like the Wolfe Tones, but I refuse to dance to "Up the 'RA".

The fights were vicious, and several times they had to close certain bars because people got rowdy. I had to pick a girl up at one point when she got knocked to the ground near the stage.

Still a great night though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

F-stop, don't personally abuse other posters.

I had to pick a girl up at one point when she got knocked to the ground near the stage.

Jesus, sounds wild. A girl fell over, i surprised the fcuking riot squad werent called

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I had to pick a girl up at one point

Gwan a good thing! Give her one for me and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

Ball wasn't all bad but I think the euphoria of fininshing 4th year helped. I couldnt believe that pints were $4.50 a go and that you had to queue at least 30 mintutes to get a pint. me and my friends left early cause by the time we didnt want to spend most of the last day of term queuing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Im glad I didn't go.There was some wild party in merville all day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Ball wasn't all bad but I think the euphoria of fininshing 4th year helped. I couldnt believe that pints were $4.50 a go and that you had to queue at least 30 mintutes to get a pint. me and my friends left early cause by the time we didnt want to spend most of the last day of term queuing

€4.50 a pint is cheaper than you pay in a club in town. They could easy have charged €6 given the circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

johnfás wrote: »
    €4.50 a pint is cheaper than you pay in a club in town. They could easy have charged €6 given the circumstance.

i dont get that point, being forced to drink an over priced pint and have no other options can't be justified by saying" well they could have charged so much more, so be grateful they only screwed you this much and not more":confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Well it s only 15 euro for the day so they have to cover their costs somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'd say a significant chunk of the admissions money went on security judging by the amount around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

i dont get that point, being forced to drink an over priced pint and have no other options can't be justified by saying" well they could have charged so much more, so be grateful they only screwed you this much and not more":confused:

They didn't screw you. Where do some people think the profit from these sort of events go? They go back to pay for more events for Students. Beyond that, most of these events barely make a profit if they make one at all.

It seems to me, rather unfortunate, that some people wish to have all the bands, all the party atmosphere, yet when someone goes to the work to organise it they complain that they charge them more than a can, imagine that.

The Trinity Ball is 60+ a ticket and pints are up to 6 euro, without a much better lineup. I'd be thankful for the people doing something to bring about some more student events in UCD rather than complaining. Alot of people who complain will be the first to complain when events don't happen - and there has been long enough in UCD without good events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

East 17 have aged badly (oh so badly),

Tell me about it!! :eek: There like a walking advertisment of why not to do drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

You seem to be operating under the assumption that it's a good thing that an event of this type is being organized, and that it's happening on the last day of term. The sorry fact is that most of the people posting here are pissed off that it's happening on the last day of term at all, because it's making trouble for, and getting in the way of last-day-of-term drinking, which is typically thought of as the best day of the year, and which mostly happens without a whole lot of organization at all. While the last day of term isn't really my idea of fun, I can sympathize to some degree - far better a disorganized piss-up than a corporate style pseudo-piss-up. As far as I can see, it would have been better for these people if the Ball had been gotten out of the way some other day of the year, and the SU hadn't been so self-important as to assume that having it on the last day of the term was something everyone would think was a great idea.

Thank you.
    I didn't go in. I went down, had a look, saw a queue a mile long for any form of drink and decided to hell with it. I left and snuck into a building where I had the time of my life :)
    here i am with a flask of booze in my pocket and a smile on my face and campus is fuppin dead...no shiney happy people scuffling round the place...what gives?:(

This my friends is what the UCD ball gave us
    you're so negative, my god!
    maybe they thought you'd like their music? it wouldn't have been that hard to decline the request, it would have taken a lot less energy than typing out that rant.

Ha! I thought it was quite brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Campus was very dead yesterday, was surprising. The only area that had a party atmosphere was Glenomena, there was some good drinking there. Services werent taking well to the abuse they were getting heh. I went into the ball around 6/7 I think, no real memory of it but apparently managed to get thrown out (as did a lot of people I know!), go team whiskey! :D

A frend of mine got arrested for drinking in public too, was very surprised by the strictness of the gardai on campus yesterday.

Oh and nobody should bother arguing with FionnMatthew, I think he has established by now that hes a completely unfun type who loves going on page long rants about every little thing he can think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

johnfás wrote: »

The Trinity Ball is 60+ a ticket and pints are up to 6 euro, without a much better lineup. I'd be thankful for the people doing something to bring about some more student events in UCD rather than complaining..

its €78!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

tbh I felt the Ball fell between two stools. Neither a good line up to make it worth hanging around buying expensive drink until 11pm (did most of the crowd stay for the Blizzards? I left during the Wolfe Tones' up the ra sh**e), but nor was the day as good as last year's cheap and cheerful one. Would have much preferred a few crappy bands playing in the pit (say B*witched, a real band and a covers band) and people just being allowed to drink freely on the fields around the student centre like last year. The extra security, hassle (seemed to be way more fights, arrests, vomiting then last year), expenses just wasn't worth a crappy line up like that, when people would have had a great day on the last day as we saw last year.

I'd hope they go back to last year's free last day of term, and if they want to have another dodgy ball host it at another stage of the year so it doesn't overlap with what is usually the best day of the year.

Oh and East 17 was one of the most embarassing things I've ever seen. Was like a scene from the Office or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Some people just shouldn't be allowed near alcohol. I've been to plenty of festivals, and plenty of gigs, some amazing and some really bad, and I've had some bad experiences but never in my life have I encountered such rude, inconsiderate selfish ****s. I had a good time yesterday with my friends but I'm glad that I'm not going back to UCD next year after seeing how some of the eejits carried on.

One of the tamer examples: I went to the bar at one stage and this guy beside me actually said to the barman "I'll give you 2euros if you serve me next, and remember my face, roysh". The barman rightfully told him where to stick his two euros.

To be honest I just thought it was a waste of time, waste of money, and could have been better organised as regards security-ie getting in and out of the bar.

I'm sure that I'll be critised for this post, but I thought yesterday was ****e. Great idea, but it was just wasted on the fake-tan, wkd, Ross O Caroll Kelly generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

The only real negative point, apart from other things that were realistically to be expected, was the level of the agression present. I wasn't drinking until about 9.30 because I was working at it, so I being sober I was painfully aware of what was going on.

The behaviour of some of the students as regards agression, was, simply put, disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

mloc wrote: »
    The only real negative point, apart from other things that were realistically to be expected, was the level of the agression present. I wasn't drinking until about 9.30 because I was working at it, so I being sober I was painfully aware of what was going on.

The behaviour of some of the students as regards agression, was, simply put, disgusting.

Very true, a mate of mine is on crutches and was pushed over in the crowd for the blizzards - as in a guy turned around saw that he was on crutches and full force pushed him over! I think that my mate may have knocked into him by accident or something, but I mean what kind of cnut picks on a guy on crutches and an ankle cast!

Apart from that I had a great day, was boozing in Belgrove before the event and not a sign of security which was sweet!! The queues for the bars were a joke, it took at least half an hour to get served each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

mloc wrote: »

I think this tends to reflect the level of security at it. The basic idea should be to create a good atmosphere, but between the rules of the ball itself (no admittance, had to have student card, bags extensively searched) and the heavy security presence, it just created a bad atmosphere. If people aren't having a good time, they're more likely to get rowdy. I'm not blaming services or the Gardaí - they were there to do a job and they did - but it seems to me that if you allow people a little leeway they'll behave better.

A good example is the festival of World Cultures in Dun Laoghaire. For that one weekend, the Gardaí allow drinking on the street (cans only), and the whole thing has a great atmosphere, and I've never seen any violence (though I'm sure there is some). If we compare last year's festivities to this year's, ie people being allowed to drink, no heavy security, no hassle - it passed by very smoothly. I don't remember hearing about any violence at it.

There's always going to be a few bad eggs, but I think if UCD came to some arrangement with the SU as regards drinking on the last day of term, it'd make life easier for everyone. I'm sure last year cost the SU less than this year, I'm also sure it was less hassle for the Gardaí. I just hope a lesson has been learned from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

yesterday was unreal goood unreal!! b*wicthed were classss and very hot and the blizzards were the best at getting the crowd going! hopefully there will be something similar next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Blut wrote: »
    Oh and nobody should bother arguing with FionnMatthew, I think he has established by now that hes a completely unfun type who loves going on page long rants about every little thing he can think of!
    You'd do well to notice that certain people have been agreeing with me.

You might also recognize that my point was that certain exploitative types of commercial activity hide under the banner of "fun," and yet are not, in fact, fun at all, even though many people are so impressionable that they can be convinced that they are having "fun" in the most uncomfortable of situations. Implicitly, my "rant" was in defense of the activities which traditionally were thought of as actually fun, but which were marginalized by the type of ostensible "fun" that the SU organized for the last day of term. I'm not averse to fun, but only to those varieties of "fun" which are not much fun, and which cost me my dignity, my wallet and my time of day, all for someone else's profit.

If you read over it carefully, you might notice that this also offers an explanation for why the campus was so "surprisingly" empty last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

You'd do well to notice that certain people have been agreeing with me.

You might also recognize that my point was that certain exploitative types of commercial activity hide under the banner of "fun," and yet are not, in fact, fun at all, even though many people are so impressionable that they can be convinced that they are having "fun" in the most uncomfortable of situations. Implicitly, my "rant" was in defense of the activities which traditionally were thought of as actually fun, but which were marginalized by the type of ostensible "fun" that the SU organized for the last day of term. I'm not averse to fun, but only to those varieties of "fun" which are not much fun, and which cost me my dignity, my wallet and my time of day, all for someone else's profit.

If you read over it carefully, you might notice that this also offers an explanation for why the campus was so "surprisingly" empty last night.

Do you study English/Journalism yeah? It's a great piece of writing. Just wanted to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

I thought it was class, the music wasn't really any use except for messiah J but for 15euro for a whole day (10 hr) event it was worth it. The silent disco was classic andso were the dance acts towards the end. I'd pay 25 euro for 4hours with a pretty good dj iin tripod so i think it was classic value.

We snuck in through nova ucd and i got that special offer so i got my 8 cans for 9 euro. Totally horrendiufied after that. So theres no bitching from me about queues and expensive drink because i planned ahead having been to any event ever before i knew what to expect.

And yeah it was great, i got drunk with my friends for the last time as a fresher, randomly scored a bunch of people that id talked to over the year and i few i just met and hit one of the people from bwitched with a bit of an orange, so many memories form that day actually, went streaking, wrecked myself after an unsucessful crowd surf and finished the day at around 8 this morning asleep beside some football pitch. Loads of memories and a great way to wrap up a great year.

It's sad to see people complaining, sorry you guys didnt have a good time but stuff in college is alwasy going to be like objectivly ****, you have to make them fun. But thats liek any night out really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Blut wrote: »
    Campus was very dead yesterday, was surprising. The only area that had a party atmosphere was Glenomena, there was some good drinking there. Services werent taking well to the abuse they were getting heh. I went into the ball around 6/7 I think, no real memory of it but apparently managed to get thrown out (as did a lot of people I know!), go team whiskey! :D

A frend of mine got arrested for drinking in public too, was very surprised by the strictness of the gardai on campus yesterday.

Glenomena and Merville were fairly crazy up until 4pm,when people started heading to the ball.However,the part of Merville that I was in was MAD all evening

Fionn, I actually had a good giggle reading some of your prior posts! You remind me of UCD's Irish male equivilant to the Gilmore Girls. Some much BS, well written BS but shyte none the less.

Oh and especially that bebo you sent to the band. The whole issue of you posting it on boards.ie is priceless! They may have been sad (in your opinion) to add you as a friend but you did post your reply to show off to everyone on an internet board.

The ball was deadly also imho. There were problems but with 4500 students in one place, it was never going to run like clock work! Steve Q deserves a sporting slap on the arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After a year at UCD, I still don't get why an event like this is called a "Ball". What's wrong with "party"? "Ball" sounds formal, like there should be tuxedoes and a chamber orchestra. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

I thought it was class, the music wasn't really any use except for messiah J but for 15euro for a whole day (10 hr) event it was worth it. The silent disco was classic andso were the dance acts towards the end. I'd pay 25 euro for 4hours with a pretty good dj iin tripod so i think it was classic value.

We snuck in through nova ucd and i got that special offer so i got my 8 cans for 9 euro. Totally horrendiufied after that. So theres no bitching from me about queues and expensive drink because i planned ahead having been to any event ever before i knew what to expect.

And yeah it was great, i got drunk with my friends for the last time as a fresher, randomly scored a bunch of people that id talked to over the year and i few i just met and hit one of the people from bwitched with a bit of an orange, so many memories form that day actually, went streaking, wrecked myself after an unsucessful crowd surf and finished the day at around 8 this morning asleep beside some football pitch. Loads of memories and a great way to wrap up a great year.

It's sad to see people complaining, sorry you guys didnt have a good time but stuff in college is alwasy going to be like objectivly ****, you have to make them fun. But thats liek any night out really.

Well I'm thrilled with my day. I spent it like you're supposed to spend your final day in the year... the type you've not yet experienced. I hope you do and that this ball doesn't turn into a regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

There's a load of glass around there still-not good considering its right beside the pitches and there's a load of school kids around. Also the place down there still stinks... :( Clean up was crap!

Advertisement