Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What operators offer static IP addresses?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭

Is it still just NTL or do any of the ones using an eircom line offer static IPs?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Smart offer a fixed IP (extra €5 a month) if you're luck enough to be able to get them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

murphaph wrote: »
    Is it still just NTL or do any of the ones using an eircom line offer static IPs?

Cheers.

Smart do for an extra 5 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

There's alway www.dyndns.com - obviously not suitable for all purposes. I use it for accessing my network drive remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm on the 3meg digiweb DSL package, comes with static IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

nilhg wrote: »
    I'm on the 3meg digiweb DSL package, comes with static IP.

Same here, and I didn't even request one:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

I Always use magnet business all their packages come a with a (free) fixed IP .. (Entry package 1mb @€;29 plus vat per month..comes with Excellent support:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

utv "If required fixed IP addresses can be purchased at a cost of €3.50 each"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Imagine use Eircom, are considerably cheaper, haven't upset me in close on 2 years, and offer fixed IP as standard. Their customer support is good too.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BDW

If I remember right both eircom and bt offer static IP's but only in their business packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Irish Broadband offer a static IP as part of their standard residential breeze connections... or on a business DSL connection as far as I know.

• Advertisement

BDW wrote: »
    If I remember right both eircom and bt offer static IP's but only in their business packages.

But you'll pay for it...certainly with Eircom anyway..

Surley all or most operators can offer a fixed ip ..but wheather threre is a charge ot not would be the big question..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

you can get some of the business packages on a residential account. static IP costs €50

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Any provider can offer fixed IP.

Basically it's down to the provider, what packages they want to offer it with. Most providers do by default on their business packages.

IP's do not cost, you don't own the IP, neither does your provider. But the provider can charge you a once off fee, for supplying it or require you to subscribe to a more expensive package, that includes it.

Essentially any decent ISP offers a fixed IP option in one sort or shape, but often you need to ask, as it's not necessary on their website.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I never want a static ip, then I'd have to upload torrents. Your ip becomes blacklisted on private trackers if you don't upload at least 1:1. I'm happy with dynamic ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I never want a static ip, then I'd have to upload torrents. Your ip becomes blacklisted on private trackers if you don't upload at least 1:1. I'm happy with dynamic ip.

I prefer dynamice ip's too :):)
    If you download stuff from rapidshare for example you can use the free download option many times, just reconnect and you get another IP, and you can download again...:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

supervixen wrote: »
    If you download stuff from rapidshare for example you can use the free download option many times, just reconnect and you get another IP, and you can download again...:):)

unfortunately if you want to run your own mail server these days a static IP is a must. thats why a lot of these small businesses with DSL lines have static IP's.

some people use it as an additional security measure ( a private FTP server only accepting logins from certain IP's ) most people can probably get by with just dynamic DNS though.

One ISP i know of charges around $50 per month for a static IP so the fixed-fee things are actually not a bad deal.

supervixen wrote: »
    just reconnect and you get another IP, and you can download again...:):)

Or you could use TOR..(The Onion Router)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

towel401 wrote: »
    One ISP i know of charges around $50 per month for a static IP so the fixed-fee things are actually not a bad deal.

Charging $50/month just for having a fixed IP would be a disgrace, as RIPE clearly specifies the no cost for IP's. ISPs pay a yearly membership fee based on the years of membership and the amount of IPs allocated. A dynamic IP has the same "cost" as a fixed one.

Unless that ISP delivers other services within that $50 fee (like better contention, service etc.), then I'd say it's pure rip off and against the definitions.

The once off charges are based on the work in the ISPs provisioning system to allocate fixed IPs.

But yes, fixed IPs are used for security for a lot of businesses: they only let people ftp/vpn in from IPs they know (dyndns not being good enough). If you run a mail, development server etc, it's crucial, too.

/Martin

Advertisement