Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen Berlingo problem. Help

Options
  • 08-04-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I’m not a mechanic so I’ll do my best to explain. Last Thursday I was driving along at motorway speed. After that, the next time I stopped I noticed what can be described as a ticking sound coming from the engine. It gradually gets noisier as you increase revs and after 40mph you cant hear it. As the engine ticks over in neutral when stopped, its intermittent.

Today to be sure I got the van serviced and the timing belt changed. A friend of mine who is a mechanic did the work. He was sure this could be the problem. To cut a long story short its still there. The engine sounds fine bar this ticking sound. I’m confused and so is the mechanic. He also rang a bloke who is the foreman at a Citroen garage and he couldn’t explain it either, he said the engines never give any trouble. After this the mechanic used a tool for listening to various parts of the engine to try and pinpoint the noise, don’t know what it was called, the place where it was most noticeable was the first box on the exhaust pipe directly under the body.

It’s a 05 with 47k miles done. Any ideas what it could be and have you experienced the same problem?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's an 05 so warranty has lapsed. But it might be an idea to bring it to a Citroën dealer to have a diagnosis carried out. At least that way you'll know what needs to be done.

Those 1.6HDI engines are fairly bullet proof so chances are it's nothing serious.

When you say " the place where it was most noticeable was the first box on the exhaust pipe directly under the body." could this be the catalytic convertor? Your symptoms sound like this maybe the case.

Advertisement