Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Biology

Options
  • 08-04-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

How dodgy would it be to just study sections 1 and 2 for the bio exam??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Very...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

pretty dodgey...section 2 is the hardest anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Istrancis

If you're planning on leaving out large sections of the course, Anolaner, you should probably know that it's possible to completely leave out the chapters covering genetics. Also, you can get away with studying only 22 out of the 23 (I think?) experiments on the course.

Please bear in mind that this does limit you to certain questions, and you won't have as many choices in the exam paper. In other words, if you decide to take this risk, you must be very confident in the rest of the course.

Oh, but don't leave anything out if you're planning on studying science at college, because most of these things will come in extremely handy.

Good luck!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

OP, Units 1 and 2 (plus the experiments) account for 80% of the exam. So it's not very dodgy at all!!! :) I would say do most of Unit 3 though if you're going for a very high grade.
    Think about it - there's always a long question on ecology (Unit 1), one on genetics (Unit 2) and either photosynthesis or respiration (Unit 2 also)
    That's 3 of your 4 long questions.
    Learn all of the experiments (from all 3 Units) and Section B Can get you full marks.
    Then you can try predicting certain areas from Unit 3 to concentrate on.

You should put 80% of your study time towards Units 1, 2 and Experiments. Then use the other 20% to study relevant areas of Unit 3.
    I used this strategy last year and got an A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

all i can say is that if you're considering not studying the whole course then just drop to ordinary

best decision i ever made.barely studied biology and dropped to ordinary level on the day of the exam and came out with a B1.deffo consider it as an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

But if you cover the course and keep up honours, you might get more points from it than you will in pass. A C3 in honours will get you 60 points, an A1, which would be quite difficult to achieve in pass, will get you 60 points also. It's all about the points. Get a D3 in honours you still get the same points as a B2 in pass. My opinion would be to keep up honours...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Istrancis

I definately agree with Mars Bar, you've come this far at higher level, stick with it unless you know you're going to fail. In the latter case, drop to pass, but definately try to stay in honours otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anolaner

Definitely keeping up the honours course-I dont need to get more than the D3 but obviously I'm aiming for a higher grade. Biology just does not interest me in the slightest I'm more of a language and physical activity person! Thanks for all the replies, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

anolaner wrote: »
    Definitely keeping up the honours course-I dont need to get more than the D3 but obviously I'm aiming for a higher grade. Biology just does not interest me in the slightest I'm more of a language and physical activity person! Thanks for all the replies, :)

i was the exact same

i kinda decided a few weeks before hand that i was gonna drop to pass.and with that decision i realised that i didnt need as much study for it which left me with more time to study for the subjects that were really important to me...

just keep that in mind especially if you dont need to do well

• Advertisement
Advertisement