Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to handle exchange rate differences on foreign payments?

• 08-04-2008 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I am currently working on a contract for US company and they are paying in dollars. To get a better exchange rate I usually wait for two or three payments before converting to Euros. When working out my gross income for the Revenue how do I handle a payment where the exchange rate on the date I recieve payment is different to rate on the date I convert to Euros.

For example I get a payment in 2007 where 1 Euro = $1.36 on the date of reciept. In 2008 I am going to convert the dollars to euros the rate is 1 Euro = $1.46. So i have lost out on 10 UScents per dollar converted. How do I account for the difference in exchange rates. Hope this makes sense. Appreciate any input you can provide.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

Sorry just re-read and I'm not sure how it works out for individuals, I'd only know what to do from a companies point of view. If I was to hazard a guess I'd imagine it's an allowable loss for your tax returns ie you could net either 20%/41% of the loss against your income, opposite happens if it's a gain, you'll be taxed on that too. However seeing as your receiving the actual payment on one date and then converting at a later date I don't think you're entitled to claim such losses. I'm open to correction though someone with experience should be able to clarify, only a student:(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ccc

Thanks Leon11. I am a sole trader and I invoice the US company every month. Wouldn't this structure be the same as a company? If so how would a company handle this scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

For prior year years Revenue have a list of rates that they release in a tax briefing at the start of every year. For 2007 the accepted US/Euro rate is 1.3705.

When a sole trader is in receipt of periodic payments you'll have to use the spot rate for the date the payment is received. It does not matter if you wait a few months or even, in fact never exchange it in fact to euros and the losses and gains you may make are disregarded.

For filing the return I would use the rate in line with the Revenue rates- i. for your 2007 return 1.3705. For monthly invoices etc you'll have to use a spot rate.

Companies would follow the same procedure when filing a CT1.

If you want to get spot rates use the daily/monthly average rate per Oanda- www.oanda.com

As you query relates to Revenue Returns- you can use the prior year rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ccc

Thanks SetantaL for the clear explanation.

Advertisement