Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC for University

Options
  • 08-04-2008 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi, i am currently saving to build a new PC for university next year. I am worried about my lack of knowledge of graphics card types and the best types of RAM etc so i would appreciate any help people have to offer.

I have a budget of around £600 but going over is ok.. I would like a quiet PC but realitively powerful one. As it stands i have a PC capable of playing most games very well at medium graphics, but i would a top of the range Graphics card and a large hard drive. If anyone would like to post their ideas about the matter i would appreciate it.

The primary use probably will be gaming but my course to study will be Computer Forensics so i'm sure i'll have to work on it at some stage.

Cheers,
    Baz.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is that 600 pounds sterling? Do you need a monitor, keyboard or mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

yeah £600 sterling! Am well i suppose a mouse and keyboard would be nice mine are a bit biege! And a monitor preferably a widescreen like 22"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/pcconfigurator.jsp

I configured the pc in the attached image at the above site. It's a pretty good spec for the money. It looks good to me but if I were you, I'd let the more experienced posters here pick it apart before buying it.

Ah thanks alot mate, just looking at the screenshot here, sorry i should have put i dont need an operating system, i have Vista Ultimate on disk anyway so thats cool. But thanks for posting a reply ill have a look at some of these products and reviews.

If you don't need an os then you could probably get the q6600 (quad core processor) instead without pushing the price up too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

If you don't need an os then you could probably get the q6600 (quad core processor) instead without pushing the price up too much.

Looks like a good spec you knocked up there AlmightyCushion. As the OP already has the OS that Q6600 would definitly be a better cpu to get than the E4300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There's nothing "stealth" bout the stealthXtream, noisier than most from what i've read. I can recommend Corsair.

I read a few reviews apparently the Antec cases are spacious and quiet? Would that be an accurate assesment? Plus am i looking for a Midi-Tower?

Is this Motherboard suitable for a Q6600? Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R iP35 Express (775) Motherboard

Here is a selection i created using the advise from the previous posts. Does this system work ok? I attached a picture and the link is below.
    PC.jpg

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Peripherals/Keyboards/Belkin+Wireless+Keyboard+%26+Mouse+?operation=shoppingCartAdd&productId=27083&context=

BazMcG wrote: »
    Here is a selection i created using the advise from the previous posts. Does this system work ok? I attached a picture and the link is below.
    PC.jpg

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Peripherals/Keyboards/Belkin+Wireless+Keyboard+%26+Mouse+?operation=shoppingCartAdd&productId=27083&context=
    I seen a few reviews of the 1GB 8800gt where it actually performed worse than the 512MB version. Probably using memory with higher latency. For the hard drive try and get a samsung f1. They are meant to be really fast and the best drive on the market at the moment. Case looks very very nice.

Edit: Also noticed there is no power supply there. That might come in handy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Get a 8800GT 512MB then with the extra cash you can put it towards getting your PSU! :D

yeah the 512mb would be very nice indeed! And yes i forgot to put in a PSU there! lol thanks for pointing that out! :D Thanks for the help guys. I will write down all the stuff that i need and start the saving!

Advertisement