Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Wouldn't think thats a GTI tbh.
    Very cheap. You'd want to check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

It's a GTI alright - well, in any case it has an 8v GTI Digifant engine.

Modified Mk2s are not my thing at all but there are lots of tidy original ones out there for similar-ish money. The completely original car below lives in Sligo and is for sale on VAGDrivers for €3500 - edit: is now down to €3000. I'm a bit biased as I have a 16v outside the door and had an 8v before that.

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13108

2007_0422warrior0004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought the MkII Golf GTi had a 2.0 litre lump?

bazz26 wrote: »
    I thought the MkII Golf GTi had a 2.0 litre lump?

The Mk3 GTi's had the 2.0, all Mk2s had the 1.8L 827 engine with either 8 or 16 valves.

Fair enough.

Personally myself I would not bother with that one. I would it to be restored to it's original state rather than Halfordised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/gti/948962/

Opinions please. Only something as a weekender the likes
    I'd sooner shoot myself in the head. The red one looks very good, although i'd really want a 16v.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thanks lads, end of that anyway. I'd rather have a more origional unmolested version if any. It's fairly high mileage as well. I think i'll save up another bit and get something like that red one:).

What's to look out for when buyin a Mk2 Gti, any no go's and any musts?

I wrote this buyers guide (with some help from me friends), you may find it helpful...

http://www.octane.ie/guide/car.php?id=665

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Fair enough.

Personally myself I would not bother with that one. I would it to be restored to it's original state rather than Halfordised.

Exactly, I wouldn't touch a car with a muppety sound system in it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

If you could sell all that junk in the boot, and offset it against the new suspension you'd have to be it might be an ok deal.

it all hinges on whether the cars in good nick or not... looks a bit thrashed, but could have been owned by someone just into their tooones i suppose.
    i'd have a look, check condition, check if seller i flexible on price

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

+1

(somewhat contradictory to my previous post! but can understand why you'd like the black if you were into modifications, however they newer seem to look well on older cars imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/gti/948962/

Opinions please. Only something as a weekender the likes

IHe's ruined the car. You can be guaranteed that cars been driven HARD as well.

IHe's ruined the car. You can be guaranteed that cars been driven HARD as well.

I don't mean to state the obvious, but all of these will have been driven hard at some point.

Thanks klaus23. Will have a read of that. My self and the brother were thinkin of buyin one with a small bit to do to it. I'd say without lookin at the one in the OP, and from what ye say, we'll wait around for something a bit more origional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

the first might not be a bad track day car - if the roll cage meets the spec - the sparco seats alone must be worth a bob or two ?

Thanks klaus23. Will have a read of that. My self and the brother were thinkin of buyin one with a small bit to do to it. I'd say without lookin at the one in the OP, and from what ye say, we'll wait around for something a bit more origional.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, I bought my 16v with a nice solid body and healthy engine. It was also the reddest Tornado Red I've seen without a respray. It cost £600, but needed just about everything else.

So I'm in the middle of replacing the gearbox, back axle, all braking system components, all suspension components and a good few other bits and pieces. Yes, it's expensive but when it's finished the car will be better than it was when new. And that's with 139,000 miles on the clock and without an engine rebuild which might come at a later stage.

Have you driven one yet? They're actually a surprising thing to get into, the door clunks shut and despite the dated dash it doesn't feel like a cheap 80s car. They're also remarkably comfortable. Yes, the handling isn't razor-sharp like, say a decent 1.9 205 or more modern hatchbacks but for cheap, reliable retro motoring there's no beating a Mk2. You will know every bolt in the car by the time you're finished with it though.

Also, there's enough in the country by now to not have to go to England, some are coming up reasonably cheap to. Remember that the VRT is €686 on an 8-valve and €1060 on a 16v, so if you get one for around €3000 in Ireland, taxed, tested and in good nick - like the one above - it's a bit of a steal.

Being honest we didn't know what kinda money we would need to spend. I think we'll hold it off awhile, save up a few more pennies and go for seomthing as u said that it taxed and tested etc. Thanks for the help again lads

Advertisement