Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional License Question - A & A1

• 08-04-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Guys, could you please answer a question for me?

We dont have this system in the UK (i think) so im finding this a little confusing. I see there are two types of provisional bike license - A and A1.

A = >250cc
    A1= >125cc

Correct so far?

Ok - Can I ask - to get an A grade provisional, do you have to hold an A1 already?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Your kinda right but not quite.

A1 - Motorcycles up to 11kW or 125 cc
    A - Motorcycles up to 25kW or 0.16kw/kg until two years after you pass the full bike test.

You don't need to have held an A1 to get an A provisional or apply for an A test. IMO the A1 should be done away with.

I believe the UK A1 is the same as the Irish A license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I agree Colm, they should scrap that useless A1 License TBH... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I agree Colm, they should scrap that useless A1 License TBH... :rolleyes:

You must do your theory test to get the provisional A licence and then you can apply for the Motorcycle driving test.
    * There is also the unrestricted A provisional licence (KW above 25) you must be over a certain age and have previously held a provisonal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_c wrote: »
    IMO the A1 should be done away with
    Why?

Why?

Because having a full A1 license seriously limits what you can ride, and to ride anything bigger you need to do the exact same test on a bigger machine, which you may as well do first time round.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

But the A1 licence allows those from age 16 on to bikes, the A is 17, isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

KtK wrote: »
    But the A1 licence allows those from age 16 on to bikes, the A is 17, isnt it?
    I think it's up to 18 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Thanks guys...thats that sorted :)

Its surprising though, how many people I know here who ride scooters on an A1, and believe they had to do the A1 as a precursor to the A... hence the confusion for me I suppose.

Anyway thanks for clearing it up for me. 'A' Theory booked, provisional hopefully no more than a few weeks away....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

odonnell wrote: »
    Thanks guys...thats that sorted :)

Its surprising though, how many people I know here who ride scooters on an A1, and believe they had to do the A1 as a precursor to the A... hence the confusion for me I suppose.

Anyway thanks for clearing it up for me. 'A' Theory booked, provisional hopefully no more than a few weeks away....

No Problem,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

pirelli wrote: »
    You must do your theory test to get the provisional A licence and then you can apply for the Motorcycle driving test.
    * There is also the unrestricted A provisional licence (KW above 25) you must be over a certain age and have previously held a provisonal.

Never heard of that one before.
    its not on any licence

• Advertisement

Redpunto wrote: »
    its not on any licence

It doesn't exist. The only unrestricted A provisional is an old provisional license which might be obtained in 1999 and doesn't have the restriction on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

OP may be a bit too late. But if you still have a UK address, not Northern Ireland, and are over 21 then you are way better off appling for a Direct Access UK licence, then you can drive what ever bike you want. No need to worry about restrictions.

You can then transfer the licence over here if you want, but there is no need under EU law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gavinj

ok.. question... i had a provisional A1 when i was 16... im now 19 and gettin it renewed! can i apply for the provisional A without doing another test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,444 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone aged 18 or over can apply for a class A learner permit (what provisional licences are called now) even if you never had any licence before. You'll need to do the theory test if you didn't already.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 twisted72

Redpunto wrote: »
    its not on any licence

i have...i have one....im on my 2nd A learner permit and ive a full A1 licence since 96. Dont ask how im entitled to it...maybe cos ive the full A1 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

twisted72 wrote: »
    i have...i have one....im on my 2nd A learner permit and ive a full A1 licence since 96. Dont ask how im entitled to it...maybe cos ive the full A1 ?

lol yopu got it before june 99 so you still have it
    but i'd do me test if i were you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 twisted72

Got what before june 99? my 'A' learner permit? No.. i got that in May of 2008.. Test is done and passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Are you restricted now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

This thread was started in 2008, reopened in 2009,
    and dragged up again now.

Time for it to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement