Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

We should ban indicators

Options
  • 08-04-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Ok i dont think we should ban indicators I just wish that some people would actually use them once in a while. I am sick of people expecting you to read there mind that they need to change lanes or are intending to take you out off the road.

I know that indicators are not legal requirement for taxis anymore but it wouldnt hurt to have them being used once in a while.

I also realise that when used they are only an indication but i think its a lot easier if people just indicate where they want to go.

Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

That, and I wish more people would indicate their intention as opposed to their action. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

What I don't get is you don't even have to move your hand.. you can flick them with your finger. Its not as if effort is involved everytime you need to use them. Oh and the best feature is they turn off themselves!!!!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

su_dios wrote: »
    What I don't get is you don't even have to move your hand.. you can flick them with your finger. Its not as if effort is involved everytime you need to use them. Oh and the best feature is they turn off themselves!!!!!!!! :eek:

actually i have seen from time to time that they dont when im behind a car for a mile or so with the thing still going.

i dont know which malfunction amazes me more though, the mechanism for turning them off or the blissfully unaware "driver" that doesnt notice this for ages :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Mena wrote: »
    That, and I wish more people would indicate their intention as opposed to their action. :mad:
    My favourite, people who change lanes and put them on when they just get in to the new lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

People arent suddenly going to become great drivers and get rid of their old habits so we're better off if we concentrate on our own driving and being aware of any dangers.
    My 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

jackncoke wrote: »
    People arent suddenly going to become great drivers and get rid of their old habits so we're better off if we concentrate on our own driving and being aware of any dangers.
    My 2 cents.

Nothing was said about people not concentrating on their own driving. I do this but would help if everyone could just do the simple tasks.

I had the funniest one the other day when a friends mam was driving and approaching a roundabout to take the third exit. She indicated left as she went on the roundabout which was just strange. I was intrigued and she said it was because she was turning left onto the roundabout before she went to the third exit.

Doesnt make sense!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

chris85 wrote: »
    I know that indicators are not legal requirement for taxis anymore but it wouldnt hurt to have them being used once in a while.

I also realise that when used they are only an indication but i think its a lot easier if people just indicate where they want to go.

Rant over
    since when do taxis get the exception??
    jackncoke wrote: »
    My 2 cents.

+1

It's better that we just assume that others aren't competant enough so we must always assume a car will turn/ stop. hence braking distance.

just because a million drivers a cr*p, doesnt mean we must be too (not quoting statistics)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I look at people who dont indicate with the same look id have on if i stood in poo poo. Its disgust. Like me saying 'your a special kind of knut aren't you'.

If i ever win the lotto, im going to buy a trained monkey, and it will sit with me in the car, and when i see a car thats not indicating or indicating incorrectly, i will say 'now my pretty' and it will throw its feces at the car in question.

I think slowly but surely my monkey and I will change this country for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

congo_90 wrote: »
    since when do taxis get the exception??

+1

It's better that we just assume that others aren't competant enough so we must always assume a car will turn/ stop. hence braking distance.

just because a million drivers a cr*p, doesnt mean we must be too (not quoting statistics)

Taxi drivers dont get an exception, i was taking the pi$$. I know they are an indiction but they help. We are always on about common courtesy and this is another form but even more so as the rules of the road say they should be used.

It is just not that hard to do and helps. For instance is was driving up the left lane of a dual carraigeway today some bit away from lights. The right lane are all going right. I come down under the speed limit before starting braking and this idiot just turns out in front of me. I had no way of knowing and could have got creamed. managed to get out of the way in time. not nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the best driving lesson was given to me by my mum when I was about 12.

she said "son, whenever you're driving on the roads, drive like everyone else is a complete idiot". that stuck with me and despite a lot of swearing at other drivers for driving like idiots, I've gotten pretty good at anticipating their stupidity in advance.

i'm happy to put my hand up and say i'm far from perfect, everyone makes mistakes but theres a hell of a lot of utter recklessness towards themselves, their cars and other drivers going on on irish roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Has any else noticed more and more drivers indicate right entering a roundabout when they intend to go straight (2nd exit)?

I've seen it quite a lot recently and it annoys me!

Is this something that is down to non Irish* drivers - maybe the rules in their country are different.

*Not being racist in any way, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Use your indicators or Clive Owen will get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

stevec wrote: »
    Has any else noticed more and more drivers indicate right entering a roundabout when they intend to go straight (2nd exit)?

Is this something that is down to non Irish* drivers - maybe the rules in their country are different.

I know an Irish woman in her 50's who indicates left if taking the first exit and right for any other exit. Indicating off the roundabout is optional. It really irritates me when I'm in the car. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Some fella came off a roundabout today indicating right. We're dealing with clowns here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rmurf

you are meant to indicate right coming up to a roundabout if you are taking the 3rd exit or any exit beyond the centreline of the roundabout

after 12 o' clock if you visualise the roundabout as a clock

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rmurf wrote: »
    you are meant to indicate right coming up to a roundabout if you are taking the 3rd exit or any exit beyond the centreline of the roundabout

That doesn't cover the scenario he mentioned, at all though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Doesn't annoy me too badly on m-ways or in traffic where people are changing lanes...I'm just used to it I suppose and drive in manner that allows for it.
    What does piss me off to the point of fury, are idiots who don't indicate for a corner or r'about, especially in the scenario where you're at a stop sign turning right and idots coming from the right are turning into where you're coming out of, especially given traffic volume in towns these days. I know indication is only a signal of intention but if someone starts indicating 60-70yds before their turn, combined with visible reduction in speed, you can surmise that if the other way is clear, that you can manage to get away.
    Same is true on r'abouts...people taking the first exit, with no indication...people waiting at the next entry point needlessly...the other r'about signalling things I can live with...if they're in the LH lane and not indicating I can take it (almost) for granted that they're taking the second exit...likewise, not indicating but in the RH approach lane of the r'about, they're going on around...it's just the first exit non-idicators. No wonder traffic is the way it is...it's not just the volume of vehicles, it's the impedance to flow caused by lack of signalling and courtesy in general...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Of the many things Irish people can't do right on our roads, we are an absolute disaster at roundabouts. People don't know when they're supposed to indicate left approaching a roundabout(1st exit only), when they're supposed to not indicate when approaching a roundabout(2nd exit only provided it's less than or equal to 180 degrees from where you are) and when they're supposed to indicate right approaching a roundabout(all other situations). Most people don't know that you indicate left just after the exit before the one you wish to take. Most people don't know which lane they're supposed to be in when entering a roundabout either.

This is as bad as the fools who decide to speed up when you want to overtake them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

what? what?

If you were contradicting what I said then you are wrong.

If you are just pointing out the proper procedure then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Almost as bad is using hazard lights as instead of indicators when pulling in (a favorite with taxi and van drivers but catching on fast). If the rear light closest the roadside is blocked by another car etc. it can look like the muppet intends on pulling out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

another classic with indicators is "the magic wand".....just because i indicate i have every right to pull out in front of you...i did indicate right..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jargarbo

I'm not Irish... but I use my common sense in using indicators in roundabouts. On top of that... coming from another country I studied Irish rules and regulations by book and by driving school. I think being a foreigner you tend to be more cautious in driving in a foreign land.

I couldn't really understand why people entering roundabout signal indicating right then after passing 1st exit will indicate left... towards 2nd exit.

Some people... after 1st exit they will indicate right but they go towards 3rd exit.

I've seen a lot of instances that this is becoming a habit of people... sending wrong signals.

jargarbo wrote: »
    I'm not Irish... but I use my common sense in using indicators in roundabouts. On top of that... coming from another country I studied Irish rules and regulations by book and by driving school. I think being a foreigner you tend to be more cautious in driving in a foreign land.

I couldn't really understand why people entering roundabout signal indicating right then after passing 1st exit will indicate left... towards 2nd exit.

Some people... after 1st exit they will indicate right but they go towards 3rd exit.

I've seen a lot of instances that this is becoming a habit of people... sending wrong signals.

Fair play, respect for that.

I am very interested to know what the rules for indicating on roundabouts are in other countries though - are they the same in your country as they are here?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jargarbo

I am very interested to know what the rules for indicating on roundabouts are in other countries though - are they the same in your country as they are here?

Thanks Steve :)

Honestly in Philippines where I came from, people inside the roundabout tend to give way to incoming cars especially if you're intending to go on the 3rd exit. Frustrating, irritating... but u know what? We're surviving LOL! No accidents so far. I think it's coz people give way though there's no traffic lights in small roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rmurf

what? what?

If you were contradicting what I said then you are wrong.

If you are just pointing out the proper procedure then fair enough.

pointing out proper procedure

same as E92 above

pointing out proper procedure

same as E92 above

Guessed that, just wondered why you quoted me :)

Advertisement