Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to Rosses Point from Sligo

Options
  • 08-04-2008 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done it? I've never been to Rosses Point so I don't know what the road is like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Xiney wrote: »
    Has anyone done it? I've never been to Rosses Point so I don't know what the road is like.

funnily enough the yuppies have had a lovely road built for them - dont worry not a bump in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Cool

What about traffic? Am I taking my life in my hands?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Are you considering doing it more regularly, as I have heard theres a womens cycling club that go for a bit of a jaunt of a weekend. Can get you more details if you want.
    Safety in numbers and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I walked there once from Cartron (Don't ask)

Roads are grand. There would be a bit of traffic naturally but not a huge amount!

Sure, would love the details. I might not be able to join just yet - I'm about as fast as an amoeba hopped up on sedatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

should be a very safe cycle I would keep my wits about me going accross the water from cartron it s pretty narrow but I do think there is a footpath.

Did you try strandhill that would be another option. Big wide road if you are looking to build up your confidence on the bike.
    Also if a car beeps at you its to let you know they are there not to get off the road. I cycled from Ballisodare for a while and got this a bit.

Cool, Cool. I'm planning on doing Strandhill too! And Ballisodare - always wanted to take a picture of the bay but the bus always whisks me straight past.

bennyc wrote: »
    Also if a car beeps at you its to let you know they are there not to get off the road. I cycled from Ballisodare for a while and got this a bit.

???
    WTF?
    Never heard of this before!!

(See you for coffee tomorrow around 11! Your paying!;))

always wanted to take a picture of the bay but the bus always whisks me straight past.

Always thought that the "pull only in case of emergency" thing was for that!:D

Gillie - In that case I'd simply explain I was American.

Handy the accent's so similar :D

I have to say though, car horns out of nowhere would make me jump out of my skin if I wasn't expecting them.

• Advertisement

Gillie - In that case I'd simply explain I was American.

Handy the accent's so similar :D

Except for the "buddies" and "eh's";)

Gillie wrote: »
    ???
    WTF?
    Never heard of this before!!

(See you for coffee tomorrow around 11! Your paying!;))

Aye no bother Gilly.

Yeah I used to get the odd beep going around the bad corners in Ballisodare before a car would pass as I would keep the bike a foot or so out from the side of the road. Personally I would never do it to anyone but it happened a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I cycled from Carraroe to Rosses Point about 2 years ago,its no problem at all,you should be fine.

I found cycling around Lough Gill a bit hair-raising though with those blind corners and all.
    And no I didn't do the cycle for the sake of it,it was part of my training fro my cycle from Longford back to Sligo,which was tough.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I cycled from Carraroe to Rosses Point about 2 years ago,its no problem at all,you should be fine.

I found cycling around Lough Gill a bit hair-raising though with those blind corners and all.
    And no I didn't do the cycle for the sake of it,it was part of my training fro my cycle from Longford back to Sligo,which was tough.

Yeah. That road around Lough Gill would be fairly ropey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I cycled from Galway to Rosses Point about 10 years ago - enroute to Donegal (camped in Rosses), but the roads were fine back then, i can only imagine they're even better now.

but the roads were fine back then, i can only imagine they're even better now.

You'd be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I cycled from Galway to Rosses Point about 10 years ago - enroute to Donegal

You gotta explain that one! Were you making a stand against carbon emissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Used to do it years ago on Sunny days when we were young and had energy...

Remember when the road were not so good and a car hit me and knocked my into the ditch of bushes and kept going! That was nice of him...

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Used to do it years ago on Sunny days when we were young and had energy...

Remember when the road were not so good and a car hit me and knocked my into the ditch of bushes and kept going! That was nice of him...

To be honest if I drove by you I'd swerve for you too:D

Only messing!
    And um it wasn't me...
    <<
    >>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Unless you were driving your parents car when you were 13 I think your safe Gillie.

• Advertisement

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Unless you were driving your parents car when you were 13 I think your safe Gillie.

Hmmm.
    I have done stranger things...

I don't like the part when you have to cycle from Cartron to where the road gets wider.
    Its awfully narrow,bumpy and bendy on that little bit of road,and there is a wall right on your left so watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

often, not to many times this year yet, still abit cold, not a bad trip, no problems my self with it, although if you are going to encounter any problems would imagine it would be through caltron and as far as the narrow windy section over the bay inlet, not much room for traffic, small climb after that,

the road is very good from there though, wide and/or hard shoulder most of the way to rosses point

also do strandhill my self, wide road the whole way, some small climbs in places, lough gill if you want a challange, not reomended for a beginner, very windy, narrow, plenty of climbing, use all routes my self for training

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

I have never cycled it, walked it though. I'm still alive so the road can't be too bad!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll definitely do it sometime soon, but not next week like I wanted, unfortunately. The three mile trip to Halfords for new tires and brake pads nearly killed me - as embarassing as that is. I'll work my way up to the 6 mile Rosses Point trip.

Yeah. That road around Lough Gill would be fairly ropey!

Aye just ask Marcus Gronholm it cost him a WRC Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bennyc wrote: »
    Aye just ask Marcus Gronholm it cost him a WRC Championship

and thats propbably one of the best sections of the road

good luck with the cycling xiney, are you going to do any other routes or just rosses point, whilst your down there, also go up around the golfcouse, follow the road past the school and the church, it will bring back into the village, although be careful with the steep desent, you will need your brakes there

I plan on cycling as much as possible this summer, and seeing as much of the county as my fitness/nerve allows. Being realistic, I'd say I'll probably top off at around a 20 km round trip - so Rosses Point, Drumcliffe, Strandhill, Ballisodare, and possibly out to see the Glencar Waterfall although I don't know if I'll be fit enough for that by the end of the summer.

As soon as my helmet arrives from Canada (probably sometime next week) I'll be cycling in and out of work (2 miles each way) so if nothing else I'll be constantly improving.

As soon as my helmet arrives from Canada (probably sometime next week) I'll be cycling in and out of work (2 miles each way) so if nothing else I'll be constantly improving.

What's wrong with our Irish helmets?

• Advertisement

What's wrong with our Irish helmets?

Absolutely nothing my dear Gillie.

But this particular helmet my mother is sending me is a rather high end model that I got for cheap after an intern at a cycle shop loaned it out by mistake once with a rental bike. I paid 20 bucks for a 70 dollar helmet. I wear it with pride!

Advertisement