Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear DG834GT or DG834N on Eircom BB

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is using either of the above modems on Eircom Broadband and how they find them. My main PC is downstairs and I want to put another PC in a converted attic. I'm using a Netopia 3341 at present but want to go wireless.

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Mogogow wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is using either of the above modems on Eircom Broadband and how they find them. My main PC is downstairs and I want to put another PC in a converted attic. I'm using a Netopia 3341 at present but want to go wireless.

Thanks

Mike

Either will work fine but it is very difficult to predict the wireless performance in advance as every location is unique. To make the most of the N model you will have to buy matching N cards which are expensive. I have seen the range of the N model criticised in reviews. Google for reviews or try www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk lots of user reviews there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The DG834GT is very old by wireless router standards - I bought mine nearly two years ago! The 108Mbps "Super G" mode is completely useless as it forces the use of channel 7 (the default channel for most routers), so if there's other wireless networks around you the signal is too crap to get anything near 108Mbps. That and you need to buy an Atheros Super G based wireless adaptor for the other PC.

My DG834GT is downstairs and I use my PC upstairs with a Netgear WG311T wireless card upstairs about 15 metres away (there are concrete walls downstairs in the way though). To get a decent signal upstairs I needed to get a bigger aerial for the router and a directional aerial for the PC upstairs - I get a great signal now, but with the standard stuff it was crap (often down to 11Mbps).

Anyway, unless you already have it or it's very cheap, don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mogogow

Hi

Thanks for the replies and sorry for delay in coming back. I bought a DG834PN but am having problems connecting to internet. When i run the install wizard it tells me there is no ADSL line present. When I reconnect the netopia modem it synchs immediately using the same phone cable. I have also connected my phone to the same lead and it works perfectly. I notice that the Netgear-supplied ADSL filter has a BT plug on it....just wondering if the Netgear expects the line to be on pins 2&5 instead of 3&4 on the RJ11 plugs.

Mike

Check the ADSL settings on your Eircom modem and see if they're the same on the Netgear one. Do Eircom use a login and password? I forget...

The centre two pins are the only pins used by RJ11 plugs - any more and it's technically no longer RJ11! The original filter you got from Eircom should be fine - I take it you bought the router from some UK chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hi

Thanks for the replies and sorry for delay in coming back. I bought a DG834PN but am having problems connecting to internet. When i run the install wizard it tells me there is no ADSL line present. When I reconnect the netopia modem it synchs immediately using the same phone cable. I have also connected my phone to the same lead and it works perfectly. I notice that the Netgear-supplied ADSL filter has a BT plug on it....just wondering if the Netgear expects the line to be on pins 2&5 instead of 3&4 on the RJ11 plugs.

Mike

The modem doesn't need a filter so plug it straight into the phone socket without one and see if it syncs.

• Advertisement

Hi

Mike

I have used the 834pn no problem. Have you tried just putting in the details without using the wizard? There is always the unfortunate possibility that the model is faulty. Do any of the lights show when you plug it in?

I have bypassed the filter and connected straight to the phone socket but still no go. The original netopia modem works fine with the Netgear rj45 and rj11 leads so its not a cable fault.

The installation wizard tells me there is no ADSL line present at the point where I first power up the modem. It hasnt asked for the "eircom" and "broadband1" passwords at that stage.

I bought the modem in PC World in Carrickmines. I belled out the supplied ADSL filter and pins 2&5 on the BT plug are connected to pins 3&4 on the rj11 socket.
    Looks like I will be paying a revisit to Carrickmines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I have a DG834N. I was using it for months without any problems. Then all of a sudden it stopped working a couple months ago. Tried it on a friends line, still wouldn't connect. So I went out and bought another one. The new one will not connect either. Tried it on the same friends line and wouldn't connect.

Brought them into work and tried bought units, same problem.

I've tried both of them now on 3 different lines, using 3 different ISPs and on 3 different exchanges. Both still refuse to work. It's a bit odd. I can't seem to figure it out.

Both have the latest firmware according to the Netgear website.

They both sync for about a 1 or 2 secs, as it says "connected" but then disconnects. Its loops like this for a while.

I have 3 different modems in the house, and all sync no problems. DLINK, Netopia and BT Voyager.

I wonder has it anything to do with the upgrades? :s??

I have a DG834N. I was using it for months without any problems. Then all of a sudden it stopped working a couple months ago. Tried it on a friends line, still wouldn't connect. So I went out and bought another one. The new one will not connect either. Tried it on the same friends line and wouldn't connect.

Brought them into work and tried bought units, same problem.

I've tried both of them now on 3 different lines, using 3 different ISPs and on 3 different exchanges. Both still refuse to work. It's a bit odd. I can't seem to figure it out.

Both have the latest firmware according to the Netgear website.

They both sync for about a 1 or 2 secs, as it says "connected" but then disconnects. Its loops like this for a while.

I have 3 different modems in the house, and all sync no problems. DLINK, Netopia and BT Voyager.

I wonder has it anything to do with the upgrades? :s??

You are very patient I would have returned them long ago! there are very similar complaints here:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=2436

I would have returned them alright, except the original was working a treat for months. Not a single problem and then suddenly wham! stopped working. And now neither of them are working.

I keep meaning to call Netgear support, but haven't got around to it. Maybe they might have a fix.

Its the DG834N model that I have btw, as
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=3474

From the reviews, people seem to be having similar issues though as the DG834PN.

EDIT: Just checked the Netgear site and they've finally released a new firmware (Dated the 7th Apr 08). Going to give it try now.

• Advertisement

Well I'll be! The new firmware seems to have worked. Both units are now working. :D

I would have returned them alright, except the original was working a treat for months. Not a single problem and then suddenly wham! stopped working. And now neither of them are working.

I keep meaning to call Netgear support, but haven't got around to it. Maybe they might have a fix.

Its the DG834N model that I have btw, as
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=3474

From the reviews, people seem to be having similar issues though as the DG834PN.

EDIT: Just checked the Netgear site and they've finally released a new firmware (Dated the 7th Apr 08). Going to give it try now.

Its a pity I didnt see the above reviews..I was looking at the reviews on komplett and dabs.ie and Netgear seemed to be one of the more reliable adsl modems. I tried a couple of Belkin adsl modems with the same results...refused to sync and when I plugged back in the old reliable netopia (4 years old now) it synced immediately.That leaves D-Link and Buffalo..Link-sys have very poor reviews since they were taken over by Cisco.

Well I'll be! The new firmware seems to have worked. Both units are now working. :D

That beats Banagher!!! I upgraded s/ware fom 1.03.30 to 1.03.36 and bingo!!! Synced immediately. Many thanks for the help

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That beats Banagher!!!

Didn't hear that one for a while. Had a good laugh.:D

Good to see you got it working.

I just noticed that the modem will only sync when the encapsulation is set as PPPoA. I thought it had to be set as PPPoE? At least its working! :D

I just noticed that the modem will only sync when the encapsulation is set as PPPoA. I thought it had to be set as PPPoE? At least its working! :D

I knew it was too good to be true. The modem is working ok but the wireless adapter wpn111 is now acting up. Every time I switch the PC on I have to unplug and plug in again the wpn111 to get it to connect with the modem!!! seems to be a known problem. I upgraded the s/ware for the wpn111 but still misbehaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I had a similar issue when I changed to this modem there recently but I know at the time BT were also doing upgrade work to the exchange which was probably a factor also. But one thing I did notice was that (if you can get as far as the "router main page") the multiplexing was in-correct. I'm at work now but I think hte multiplexing should be set to "VC" as opposed to whatever the other option is. On mine this wasn't the case so I changed it and it worked.

One other thing that I notice that happens occasionally is that the green light 2nd from the top of the router goes out and you have problems connecting to the internet when this happens.

I did notice was that (if you can get as far as the "router main page") the multiplexing was in-correct. I'm at work now but I think hte multiplexing should be set to "VC" as opposed to whatever the other option is. On mine this wasn't the case so I changed it and it worked.

I've always had mine on "LLC" (the other option) and it's always worked for me. It was the same on the Zyxel modem I got from BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TT-Racer

I'm using a new DG834 (shipped with firmware V5.01.09), and it's happy so far.

After changing

* Encapsulation to PPPoE
    * Login eircom@eircom.net
    * Password broadband1

and in ADSL Settings changing

* Multiplexing to LLC_BASED
    * VPI to 8
    * VCI to 35
    * and leaving DSL Mode as Auto (Multi-mode)

it came up pretty well.

Advertisement