Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21month old swearing

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all, my 21 month old girl has just started to say the 4 letter f word a lot lately, just wondering has anybody else dealt with this and how? I dont want to scold her about it but ignoring it doesnt seem to work!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

OMG my 22 month old is at the same thing mainly just the last week or so.. like that i have just been ignoring it but it doesnt seem to make a difference..

if it continues i will be imposing the naughty step...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

If you dont want her speaking that way then scold her for it. Let her know that it is inappropriate to use words like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Where is she hearing it from ?

If you want her to stop saying it you have to stop her hearing it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think you're better off ignoring it and continue to do so for another while. I think if you make an issue of it that she'll soon figure out that she's able to get a reaction from you. Find out where you think she heard it.

My younger lad went through a very short phase of saying something he shouldn't but we ignored it and it stopped. Whatever you do don't laugh in front of her when you hear it or she'll think she's pleasing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Where do they hear it, is right.

At that age they should be hearing "please" and "thank you" etc, and copying that. Not "f*ck".

I know a little boy who is the cutest thing ever, but for the last year all he does is swear, call everyone "gay"(?), its the saddest thing. The cuteness soon wore off, although its not his fault, he didn't pick it up off the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

sueme wrote: »

At that age they should be hearing "please" and "thank you" etc, and copying that. Not "f*ck".

Well i must say my daughter is quiet polite and very aware of her manners in regards to please and thank you.. even at this young age..
    It is impossible to sheild children from such words every minute of the day. Especially when you have visiters to your home who are not used to having a young child around..

As most of you are aware young children will pick things up after hearing them as little as once..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

flynnc8 wrote: »
    As most of you are aware young children will pick things up after hearing them as little as once..

All you can do is limit it really. At this age it's not like there's any malice behind the swearing. Whether to scold or ignore it until it goes away depends on what you've been doing so far for bad behaviour and what seems to work with the child.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I tell my kids, in a serious tone, 'we dont use words like that, they're not nice' and then continue on with whatever we were doing. It was never a big problem because we tried our very best to hide the giggles the first time it happened (cos you do giggle at them at first!)and from then on gave no strong reaction to it. Now my son corrects me when I say 'fecker'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

KtK wrote: »
    I tell my kids, in a serious tone, 'we dont use words like that, they're not nice' and then continue on with whatever we were doing. It was never a big problem because we tried our very best to hide the giggles the first time it happened (cos you do giggle at them at first!)and from then on gave no strong reaction to it. Now my son corrects me when I say 'fecker'. :)

Completely agree with this. We had the same problem with my son a while ago he's four now. Don't make a huge deal about it but do correct them telling them it's rude and not nice, have to admit it was funny thefirst time I heard it too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

Its so hard trying to get other people to watch what theyre saying around her, she repeated it almost as soon as she heard it from a visitor & she hasnt stopped since. She cant really say a lot of words so far, maybe 5 or 6 words at most. Ive started telling her that its not nice when she says it & i even tap her on the mouth which stops her saying it there and then but it always slips out a while later. Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My son of 3yrs only very occassionally uses the F word, and when he last did so it was entirely in context which was quite startling.
    Late afternoon sun was shining in his eyes as he watched TV he got up off the couch and went over to the rollerblind and said in a low voice Fvcking sun! The wife and I just exchanged looks and kept a straight face until after the event.
    They are like sponges at this age so we only have ourselves to blame but in the scheme of things it wasn't too bad.

Just wait until they overhear you saying something that's private and you haven't noticed them earwigging and they file it away in their memory bank and then in that clear voice that's designed to carry they repeat it at a later date much to your embarrassment.

As a childminder I've heard some really embarrassing things repeated by my mindees about things that are going on in their homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

My daughter once called me a bitch i think she was about 2 and a half...what happened afterwards is what my sister often describes it as an eerie silence....as i walked up the stairs to my daughter..i didnt have to say much to her as she knew by my face that she had totally crossed the line..i scolded her, and punished her..(i think the punishment at the time was stay in her room for 10 mins or something)
    She is 7 now, and since that day i have never heard a swear word from her.
    i dont understand why people would ignore bad language, Kids need to know its wrong to swear!
    Also i really hate when parents laugh at kids who swear..thinking its gas hearing such words from a child, its so not funny, its disturbing.

I've seen parents of older children boast about how their children don't use bad language yet I've seen these children swear like troopers when their parents aren't around. These children make sure they don't swear in front of their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

Toddlers are really perceptive and and can sense a parent's reaction when they use a bad word. The word is repeated simply to get a greater reaction. If we told our 2yr old not to use a swear word, she'd be more likely to use it! For toddlers that are that young, I think it's best to ignore it and pretend that you didn't hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

sueme wrote: »

I know a little boy who is the cutest thing ever, but for the last year all he does is swear, call everyone "gay"(?), its the saddest thing. The cuteness soon wore off, although its not his fault, he didn't pick it up off the ground.

:o:o:o
    I was scolded today by my mother, I'm 37. My daughter (7) said to her cousin in the bus queue "Get off my bloody bag". My mother was mortified, and asked me where she got it from? I said I had no idea. Then I was taking a pie out of the oven and I said "Oh its bloody hot".

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

She never said it today! Whoohoo...i know it might slip out again but fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Yeah, I remember when I was growing up living with my parents I never swore. Not sure how they pulled that one off, I guess I just knew that people would think less of me for it. My mother still doesn't swear around my grandad, and she finds it really rude when some of the in-laws do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

we had a similar problem a few years back when my nephew was staying and picked up some phrases from one of my brothers. When he started repeating them my mum would act shocked and asked him "who used words I don't like!?" then she'd give out to us in front of him (we're all in our 20s btw), after a few days he stoped saying them it and changed to him going and telling her when he heard "words she didn't like" then a few days later it was "hey X used words that WE don't like!!". It became a cunning game of wits to make somebody else swear around him so they'd get 'in trouble' :D

Advertisement