Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice on Cat Neutering please...

• 08-04-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I need to get my male 9 month old cat neutered. One thing I'm worried about is that one of his siblings died after being neutered ( reaction to the anaesthetic I think)... Do risks like that run in the family, so to speak?
    Also, I've seeing prices that range from 50 - 175 euros! What's the norm? I'd appreciate any feedback...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

maybe you could get the vet to test him to see if he is allergic to the anesthetic. (if that's possible) I think about €60-€70 is the going rate for neutering a cat but I'm not sure about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

I was told by a lady that a family member had recieved help from the blue cross with getting a couple of cats neutered in kerry/cork county so hopefully it is correct. No harm in asking for their help if it is available.
    They say the following on their web page...
    "The blue cross Low cost neutering scheme
    The Irish Blue Cross runs a successful all year round low cost neutering scheme in co-operation with private veterinary practices for pets of needy owners. Hundreds of pets go through the scheme annually at just one-third of the normal cost. The popular welfare scheme greatly reduces the level of unwanted litters of kittens and puppies."

The Irish Blue Cross,
    15A Goldenbridge Ind Est,
    Tyrconnell Road,
    Inchicore,
    Dublin 8.
    © The Irish Blue Cross
    info@bluecross.ie

Tel: 01 416 3030
    Fax: 01 416 3035

As for the question of the anaesthetic, any time i have brought in my cats for operations i have always been asked to sign a form to say i understand the risk involved with the injection. Its a worry and perhaps the vet can do a pretest. In my 15 years of taking cats for operations i thankfully have never had a problem and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

allergies generally dont run in families when it comes to anaesthetic or drugs as far as i know. I'm allergic to penicillin and pretty much every other major drug used to fight illness. The rest of my family on the other hand seem to eat medicine like breakfast cereal. Maybe thats a bit over the top but maybe the vet can offer an alternative. I'd go for the €75 euro price if the vet is reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

The blue cross is a charity for people who do not have the means to pay for their own pets. And unfortunatley this gets abused all the time. 75 euro is not an awful lot to pay for a once off fee.

The vet i work price comes in at around 65-75 euro depending on the weight of the cat. The ga used for cats is also reversable, well the one we use is. So when finished the cat can be woken up fairly quickly. Was the sibling cat male or female? Reason i ask is the castration is much more straight forward then the spaying. With a male it is very obvious what your taking away. With a female you have to open into the abdoman and have a look for the uterus, and the surgery can take much onger, which in turn increases the risk!

I can understand your concern, but i think the benefits outweight the risks in this case. Long term benefits that is. If you would like to ask me anything else just drop me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Yvonne19

I have three stray cats two are female the third I have not got close enough to find out. I need to get them neutered but so far over the last 5yrs I have had in excess of 13 strays done and just cannot afford to continue to pay €55 a go. Is there any vet in County Kerry that offers low cost neutering. YVONNE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I've never paid more than 45euro to have a male cat done, 75euro seems like a lot! And I've taken my cats to three different vets and they're all 45euro. Females are more because it's a bigger op but most I've paid for a female was 60

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

A reaction is very rare but can happen and is not normally hereditary. There are different kinds of anesthetic, if you are concerned find out what was used on the sibling and get the vet to use something different.

costs shouldn't be around 40 - 80 any more is just a rip off. A cat castrate takes about 5 mins to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yvonne19 wrote: »
    I have three stray cats two are female the third I have not got close enough to find out. I need to get them neutered but so far over the last 5yrs I have had in excess of 13 strays done and just cannot afford to continue to pay €55 a go. Is there any vet in County Kerry that offers low cost neutering. YVONNE
    Get in touch with any cat rescues in your area and see if they can suggest a vet that they use who might be able to do it cheaper for you as the cats are strays. You might also find that some local rescues doing TNR in your area might help you with costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Yvonne19

Thank you

Advertisement