Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement fuel cap - €25 from main dealer?!

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

Evening all.

Our old (01) Seat Alhambra 1.9 TDi just passed :D its NCT the other day, except that they said we have to fit a proper fuel cap, as opposed to the makeshift replacement we've been using since we lost the original. Grand, I thought. No retest fee, just a visual inspection.

Called by the motor factors, thinking I'd be sorted for a tenner or so. It's not even a locking cap, just a three-lug bayonet fitting (the outer flap locks shut when the doors are locked). No can do, he says. Main dealer. Phone call. "About €25 plus VAT, and it'll have to be ordered..." :eek:

Now, WTF is that about? Can they not make these things with standard screw or bayonet fittings, like the light bulb manufacturers? (or camera lens makers, or... etc., etc.?) It's only a FECKING PIECE OF PLASTIC! :mad:

[/rant]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's the part you need then you'll just have to bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i got a replacement cap for my windscreen wash in my mondeo, and that was 18quid for a simple plastic cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it makes you feel any better, a new fuel cap for a Mercedes 280SL costs €182. I think I may have a second hand one sorted for €50, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fuel caps are hardly disposable items. they're expensive because they don't sell loads of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Fuel caps are on the way out. Some manufacturers have done away with the entirely. Ford and Citroën for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm with colm_mcm on this one. Carrying replacement stock of small fiddly plastic bits is always going to be expensive. Plastic items are only cheap if they're made in large quantities.

I reckon the Alhambra fuel cap should be the same as the one for the Ford Galaxy or VW Sharan. Don't take my word for it but it might be worth checking if one of the others do them cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

crosstownk wrote: »
    Fuel caps are on the way out. Some manufacturers have done away with the entirely. Ford and Citroën for example.

How does that work then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

peckerhead wrote: »
    "About €25 plus VAT, and it'll have to be ordered..." :eek:
    €25 is nothing! In 1985 a friend had to get one for a Toyota Hiace (or Liteace?). It was £25 then. To put it into perspective, I was on £1 per hour! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bigkev49 wrote: »
    How does that work then?

Ditto with Renault - it's built into the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ditto with Renault - it's built into the door.
    ...and that'll be a whole lot more than €25 + VAT to replace. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Didnt realise they checked your fuel cap in the NCT. Are those universal ones for sale in the garages not acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

Try a scrap yard maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

barryfitz wrote: »
    Didnt realise they checked your fuel cap in the NCT. Are those universal ones for sale in the garages not acceptable?
    It's a bit vague but I don't think the universal ones have a seal (?).
    Method of Testing: Check that the fuel tank cap is present and of the correct type. Check that the fuel cap seal is present and not damaged.

Reasons for Failure: No fuel cap or fuel cap seal missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

You can get a Flexicap. Can't remember where I last saw them but check the usual motor factors.

I just can a brand new metal cap for my '92 merc for €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can check with these lads unless a Flexicap will do http://www.cgenterprises.com/fuelcaps/cars_and_light_trucks.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

3ps wrote: »
    You can get a Flexicap. Can't remember where I last saw them but check the usual motor factors.

I just can a brand new metal cap for my '92 merc for €12.

I seen the Flexicap Universal ones in the €2 store the other day! Although not much use if you need an original one for the NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

A fuel cap for a 01 Seat Alhambra - sounds like a fair swap. (The old ones are the best).

Like fletch said , scrap yard might be a good bet.

Ebay if you don't fancy getting off your arse. Is this what you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

peckerhead wrote: »
    Evening all.

Our old (01) Seat Alhambra 1.9 TDi just passed :D its NCT the other day, except that they said we have to fit a proper fuel cap, as opposed to the makeshift replacement we've been using since we lost the original. Grand, I thought. No retest fee, just a visual inspection.

Called by the motor factors, thinking I'd be sorted for a tenner or so. It's not even a locking cap, just a three-lug bayonet fitting (the outer flap locks shut when the doors are locked). No can do, he says. Main dealer. Phone call. "About €25 plus VAT, and it'll have to be ordered..." :eek:

Now, WTF is that about? Can they not make these things with standard screw or bayonet fittings, like the light bulb manufacturers? (or camera lens makers, or... etc., etc.?) It's only a FECKING PIECE OF PLASTIC! :mad:

[/rant]

Jesus man calm down, its only €25, surely you know the cost of oem parts are expensive from main dealers, especially for a relatively obscure part like a fuel cap. It doesn't seem like a rip-off as such to me, i would of guessed it'd be that much.

If it bothers you that much go to a scrapyard and get one for a fiver, it probably shares its cap with golfs/tourans etc.

TBH i'd be happy the NCT boys aren't charging you a retest fee :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Two years ago I had to pay 19 Euro for a fuel cap for a Honda lawnmower

Couldn't rig up anything suitable to substitute so had to bite the bullet and was waiting a couple of weeks for it too.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I'd check the scrap yards for any Seat, and just check them to see if the fit. If so you should get it for no more than a tenner.

Also, I would not recommend a universal one. I know someone who had a problem with rust or contaminants in their tank which was blamed on a poorly fitting universal fuel cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

prospect wrote: »
    I'd check the scrap yards for any Seat, and just check them to see if the fit..
    +1

And you might even get it free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Borrow one from another Alhambra owner, get your visual retest done, go back to your makeshift replacement (if you're happy with it).

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

AudiChris wrote: »
    Borrow one from another Alhambra owner, get your visual retest done, go back to your makeshift replacement (if you're happy with it).

Done!

Was just about to suggest this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Now that's what I call thinking... :D

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Advertisement